Poppy seller

In-depth debate on all topical issues
birdie

Poppy seller

Post by birdie »

Had a strange experience today.
Went to the local Sainsbury and on the way back saw the woman who usually sells poppies inside the supermarket standing in front of her house with her tray of poppies.
Having known her for several decades and knowing she's usually inside the supermarket I stopped to talk to her and buy a poppy. She told me of a rather peculiar happening regarding her selling poppies inside the supermarket.
The manageress told her she couldn't sit on one of the three chairs there as they were for customers only, said she had to stand, demanded to know what times she would be there and demanded the collection tins be handed in to the supermarket and not taken home with her, said the money was going to charity and not the Legion.
The local Legion branch were furious and said they were going to investigate, but would H like to go to the other supermarket close by, which she did and, according to her, they were very pleased that she had asked if she could sell poppies , thanked her profusely for her time, gave her a chair and a hot drink and came to ask if she needed anything a intervals.
The question is, was this a rogue Sainsbury's manager who doesn't like poppy sellers or have poppy sellers been treated awkwardly at other Sainsbury branches.

Just asking, but I find it very strange.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

subsub

Re: Poppy seller

Post by subsub »

Sounds like a one-off oddball rather than company policy.
WOKE AND PROUD

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

I haven’t seen many people wearing poppies this year.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
“Cod philosopher” –Antdad
“The forum's saucy upstart” –Ghost
“Solid broess” –Sadact7

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

lambrini wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:57 pm I haven’t seen many people wearing poppies this year.
Still a week to go. I've seen a lot of people wearing poppy badges.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Sounds like a typical jobsworth at Sainsburys. They are running their own appeal, but not sure if that's new or not.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Carlos J wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:13 pm
lambrini wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:57 pm I haven’t seen many people wearing poppies this year.
True. It depends where you live, I guess (and before Lawns berates me, YES—I know London isn't the "be all and end all").
( ◡‿◡ )
“Solid broess” –Sadact7

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Zambo wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:23 pm Sounds like a typical jobsworth at Sainsburys. They are running their own appeal, but not sure if that's new or not.
+1

There are too many jobsworths and busybodies these days. I know supermarkets are full of them, having worked in the industry for several years when I was young.
( ◡‿◡ )
“Solid broess” –Sadact7

subsub

Post by subsub »

I've seen loads.
WOKE AND PROUD

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

lambrini wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:25 pm
True. It depends where you live, I guess (and before Lawns berates me, YES—I know London isn't the "be all and end all").
Loads of people up here have poppy badges. I do live in a region which has a strong working class tradition of serving in the armed forces though. Probably different elsewhere in the country but Londoners as you know are rather cosmopolitan. Perhaps if you go more into the traditional East End, you may see more poppies being worn.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

As we're mentioning poppies, glad the great Poppy Watch is up and running again:

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

kancutlawns wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:45 pm
Perhaps if you go more into the traditional East End, you may see more poppies being worn.
You're more likely to find an ISIS or Palestinian flag than a Poppy in Tower Hamlets, Newham, and Lewisham.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

kancutlawns wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:45 pm
Loads of people up here have poppy badges. I do live in a region which has a strong working class tradition of serving in the armed forces though. Probably different elsewhere in the country but Londoners as you know are rather cosmopolitan. Perhaps if you go more into the traditional East End, you may see more poppies being worn.
Wearing them has declined here (in London) in recent years. But, yes, I get your point.
( ◡‿◡ )
“Solid broess” –Sadact7

birdie

Post by birdie »

Carlos J wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:25 pm As we're mentioning poppies, glad the great Poppy Watch is up and running again:
Someone has send a lot of time on that, there was a woman who used to produce pattern books for knitted and crocheted cartoon characters, like Postman Pat, and fairies and dragons, don't recall her name but I had one of her patterns many years ago,t a few patterns for crochet poppies, made a few too, but I cant see to read the pattern now, let alone make one.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Off topic, but the row about a poppy pic for a mobile phone wound up a radio presenter so much you could hear him spitting feathers, so when it came to him interviewing a guest on a sensitive topic he lost his rag so much he got sacked.
I still believe that had he not been so incensed at being made a fool of over the poppy pic he would have held it together and still been in the job.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

birdie wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:43 pm
Carlos J wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:25 pm As we're mentioning poppies, glad the great Poppy Watch is up and running again:
Someone has send a lot of time on that, there was a woman who used to produce pattern books for knitted and crocheted cartoon characters, like Postman Pat, and fairies and dragons, don't recall her name but I had one of her patterns many years ago,t a few patterns for crochet poppies, made a few too, but I cant see to read the pattern now, let alone make one.
Yep, there are a few villages near me with knitted and crochet postbox covers.

During my convalescence my sister tried to teach me crochet as she sells stuff she makes. I couldn't take to it however many videos I watched. :( Shame as could knit when I was a kid.

Remember Gaunt, wasn't he making a bit with those poppies?