The standard of International football

JudgeTedd

The standard of International football

Post by JudgeTedd »

The standard has massively dropped imho. It was never great to begin with mind you. But this France team could quite easily go on and win the cup, despite having several key players out injured.

What does that say about the rest of the teams like Germany, Spain, Brazil et al?
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

rorymac

Re: The standard of International football

Post by rorymac »

Fine margins :o

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Luck of the draw? I do think that Croatia would give any of the best teams a game? Is it about high profile names now like Ronnie, Neymar and even Mbappe or about having a solid team of well organised team players who don’t have an ego? Look at Morocco. A good work ethic with players who do what they’re told to do. That’s what this tournament has come down to. Teams with a robustness, self belief, determination than simply mercurial talent. That said, France will probably win again and again against Croatia in the final.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

I’d quite like Argentina to win it now . It would be a fitting way for messi to finish off his career. They’re not a one man team they’re being portrayed. Morocco have done well to get this far but they’re pretty boring, a bit like when Greece won the euros. Not seen many fezs in the crowd.
Man U and rangers

subsub

Post by subsub »

theleader82 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:32 pm I’d quite like Argentina to win it now . It would be a fitting way for messi to finish off his career. They’re not a one man team they’re being portrayed. Morocco have done well to get this far but they’re pretty boring, a bit like when Greece won the euros. Not seen many fezs in the crowd.
Morocco were far from boring today. They looked the better side and thoroughly deserved their win.
WOKE AND PROUD

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

theleader82 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:32 pm I’d quite like Argentina to win it now . It would be a fitting way for messi to finish off his career. They’re not a one man team they’re being portrayed. Morocco have done well to get this far but they’re pretty boring, a bit like when Greece won the euros. Not seen many fezs in the crowd.
Why would you expect to see fez’s in the crowd? A Tommy Cooper tribute act. Morocco are a very good side with players like Ziyech who has been criminally misused at Chelsea and are very well organised and with a great work rate. Must say looking down at the emerging nations because they don’t have superstars is rather demeaning.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

If Argentina win this I'll fire a torpedo up my anus
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Reg

Post by Reg »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:41 pm If Argentina win this I'll fire a torpedo up my anus
I’m hoping they do, though not for that reason.

Although it would be an entertaining sideshow - and not without opportunities to monetise...
Roy IN!!

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

kancutlawns wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:38 pm
Why would you expect to see fez’s in the crowd? A Tommy Cooper tribute act. Morocco are a very good side with players like Ziyech who has been criminally misused at Chelsea and are very well organised and with a great work rate. Must say looking down at the emerging nations because they don’t have superstars is rather demeaning.
Unfortunately people want to see the big teams will Brazil , France , Spain, Argentina in the final stages. The more casual fan wants to see,the big teams. The fez is a hat traditional to Morocco
Man U and rangers

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

theleader82 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:45 pm
kancutlawns wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:38 pm
Unfortunately people want to see the big teams will Brazil , France , Spain, Argentina in the final stages. The more casual fan wants to see,the big teams. The fez is a hat traditional to Morocco
I would disagree with that. From my experience, people across the globe are seduced by big names like Neymar and Messi whilst in this country, there is a perception ruse because of over coverage of the big teams and nations, there is a certain amount of fatigue and resentment about the top players earning in excess of £500k a week, and to think that a couple of decades ago players were earning more than a £100k a week.

People dislike show ponies like Neymar and increasingly now Ronaldo and there was widespread glee when the likes of Croatia and Morocco poked the big teams in the eye. It’s something to be cherished. You mentioned the casual fan. They don’t really matter much because they don’t bring anything to the game. They don’t buy merchandise, season tickets or pay for streaming games or invest in other ways.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

theleader82 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:32 pm I’d quite like Argentina to win it now . It would be a fitting way for messi to finish off his career. [...]
#metoo
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

subsub

Post by subsub »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:41 pm If Argentina win this I'll fire a torpedo up my anus
Why do they bother you so much?
WOKE AND PROUD

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Carlos J wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:58 pm
theleader82 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:32 pm I’d quite like Argentina to win it now . It would be a fitting way for messi to finish off his career. [...]
#metoo
Strikes me they’re quite like the Argentina World Cup winning side of 1986. A team greater than the collective sum of their parts led by a central figure who was mercurial. Think the likes of Mac Allister, Latauro Martinez, Otamendi and De Paul are decent but not great. They have a steel about them. I would say though that Julian Alvarez is some player though.

The goalie’s nay too bad at all and look how Messi ran straight to Emi Martinez to hug him first at the final whistle. A bloody good goalie who many don’t really know about.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

subsub wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:58 pm
Why do they bother you so much?
Filthy South Americans innit. Like a throwback to the 1980s. A weird fixation, sub.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

kancutlawns wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:04 am
Carlos J wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:58 pm
#metoo
Strikes me they’re quite like the Argentina World Cup winning side of 1986. A team greater than the collective sum of their parts led by a central figure who was mercurial. Think the likes of Mac Allister, Latauro Martinez, Otamendi and De Paul are decent but not great. They have a steel about them. I would say though that Julian Alvarez is some player though.

The goalie’s nay too bad at all and look how Messi ran straight to Emi Martinez to hug him first at the final whistle. A bloody good goalie who many don’t really know about.
Indeed and ha. Game v Croatia will be fascinating.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?