The Tory Gov Bullshit thread - Part 4

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Vespa

Re: The Tory Gov Bullshit thread - Part 4

Post by Vespa »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:25 pm
Vespa wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:21 pm You get treated in hospitals, if you wander into a police station they won't solve the crime you've suffered. Boris closed more stations than Sadiq.
Friend of mine is a senior policeman in London and he makes the point that police only stop crime when people think they'll get caught. So seeing the police is a lot more important than where they get changed.
I've not seen a police officer in my neighbourhood for over a year unless I go to my local park where they bizarrely follow the park warden giving out tickets to people who let their dogs shit everywhere.
I'd care more about seeing the police walking the streets than where they get changed.
Police stations have been closing for years.
Thames Valley, I recall, closed Henley well over 10 years ago and Henley being Henley there was a massive public outcry.
Until TVP showed stats revealing that in the year up to closure less than 20 public referrals of "crimes" had been made at that station and that the location was lousy for siting vehicle-based officers. Furthermore that they could get something like £0.75m for the site. Overwhelmingly people report problems by phone or online.
As for "bobbies on the beat" most forces have stats to show that an officer on foot came across a crime on average, every 18 months, and even then the offenders, unsportingly, would NOT be on foot.
That's how we got PCSOs , far cheaper to train and employ, who do more of that activity because people are misled by politicians to believe it matters. In the main a PCSO seeing an incident will radio it in anyway.`
Haven't seen a PCSO for over a year either.

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

Unless you sit by your window all day how would you know?

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

The criminal justice ststem is a cesspit of incompetence and failure to protect the public.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

antdad

Post by antdad »

Yep, the only use for a physical station nowadays is the custody suite and for crims to report in, police and backroom staff can work just about anywhere and the only person likely to report a lost or knicked wallet via the front desk is Susan Hall.

Some political shenanigans in my elderly mother's consitituency/used to be Boris'/Khan/local Tory councilors...playing cat and mouse. Basically it's shut to the public but pretending to be open and used by the Transport Police to store their riot gear for all the peace protests going on in town.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:59 pm Unless you sit by your window all day how would you know?
What a stupid comment.... I drive around my area 5 days a week for 6+ hours a day, and I rarely if ever see a PCSO, that's not one town in West London but two Brentford and Isleworth.

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

Looks like you've been unlucky then
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ ... 85803.html
By now it looks like 2000 plus PCSOs in the Met area, and of course there is the rapid rise of CCTV coverage.
Sending expensive, highly-trained police officers to walk around on the off-chance of catching criminals is truly wasteful and no deterrent to criminals.
And the point made about custody...all forces, for good reasons, have custody suites in key locations, but not in every police station.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

So you suddenly agree the Tories are doing a good job??

But 1,200 PCSO'S, do you understand how big London is??

The knowledge requires cabbies to recognise 25,000 streets within 6 miles of Charing Cross....

Yeah I must have been unlucky 5 days a week, 52 weeks of the year......

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:59 pm Unless you sit by your window all day how would you know?
I'm not housebound. We had a crime spree last year and the police turned up to tell us they wouldn't turn up.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Police are as rare as rocking horse shit here. You only ever see them in patrol cars. Got broken into a few years back, didn't even bother to come out. They said they thought they knew who it was, but couldn't do anything about it.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

chelseachelsea wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:23 pm So you suddenly agree the Tories are doing a good job??

But 1,200 PCSO'S, do you understand how big London is??

The knowledge requires cabbies to recognise 25,000 streets within 6 miles of Charing Cross....

Yeah I must have been unlucky 5 days a week, 52 weeks of the year......
All they are doing is restoring the people they cut during austerity.
And that article is quite old; that's why I said there were probably 2000 now, not 1200.

As for the police turning out, it's been their policy for a long time not to attend unless someone has been hurt or there's a criminal still on the premises. Because for a burglary, at least, there's little they can do.

What DOES happen- but which was held back by austerity- is they know that housebreakers have a method and preferred type of target, and they run intelligence-based operations to catch them in the act of either breaking-in or disposing of their haul.

A bobby on the beat is usually blissfully unaware of break-ins because the crims are smart enough to find an entry point away from the front.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

As I said 5 days a week 52 weeks a year, a very very rare sight if at all, but in your Liverpool homes it may be more.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Zambo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:39 pm Police are as rare as rocking horse shit here. You only ever see them in patrol cars. Got broken into a few years back, didn't even bother to come out. They said they thought they knew who it was, but couldn't do anything about it.
We had crime spree last year where a gang would steal a car and patrol the area breaking into tradesmen vans and stealing cars. They'd do it for a few days then go somewhere else but come back. The community association arranged a meeting with the police who essentially said it wasn't a big enough problem to put boots on the ground. Every time the gang returned vans would be broken into and you'd find empty tool boxes laying around the road.

The idea police on the streets doesn't reduce crime on those streets is retarded.

The police also told us a small group of people, about 20 to 30 cause most street crime.

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

Which is why police wandering the streets isn't going to help.

Police action, yes, but not that.

And not unless you want to pay very much greater council tax.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

I'm sure the police looking at spreadsheets will be very effective.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Bacon dibble excel
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN