TalkSPORT: The Home of Boxing

Talksport - the main station discussion place
tennisman

TalkSPORT: The Home of Boxing

Post by tennisman »

When's it going to happen?

I've always said the station should be called Talk Football but recently, I've changed my mid as such a station name is no longer applicable.

How will we cope with a daily diet of Gareth A. Davies? (He must think he's an American)

m4rkb

Re: Station name change to Talk Boxing

Post by m4rkb »

I think TS are doing a half decent job of the boxing to be fair. Not as polished as the BBC but then again nowhere near as well resourced.

Thanks fuck they've got rid of that useless twat Mackintosh in commentary.

antdad

Post by antdad »

TS are in one of those occasional vacuums of little footy content (no EPL game controversy, little transfer tittle-tattle with a shortened window and many of their principle presenters taking time off. Goldstein, Gray and Mills whinging about JM whinging, aaaaagggghhhh tedious trite...click.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

m4rkb wrote:I think TS are doing a half decent job of the boxing to be fair. Not as polished as the BBC but then again nowhere near as well resourced.

Actually, I agree with you about the coverage.

My problem is that I'm not a boxing fan. so when I hear another programme staring with Adam Cattrall, I have to switch off.

I am a cricket fan but that sport is eating itself currently with all sorts of shenanigans with its governing body and the future of the game. In addition, for some time, cricket's domestic schedule, never mind its international one is a complete and utter shambles. (Of course, TS barely scratches the surface with any of it, except when Danny Kelly asks Goffee for a few grunts).

But boxing, with its 4 boards just drives me nuts. How does anyone follow it and keep track?

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

antdad wrote:TS are in one of those occasional vacuums of little footy content (no EPL game controversy, little transfer tittle-tattle with a shortened window and many of their principle presenters taking time off. Goldstein, Gray and Mills whinging about JM whinging, aaaaagggghhhh tedious trite...click.

Hi antdad. I thought of you as I watched the Croatian keeper standing transfixed as 2 goals went a few feet past him at the World Cup Final! 'Split step' I was shouting. I've been trying to keep calm on my Goalie Watch, honest.

Indeed, in 2 weeks time, it will very likely be a diet of non stop Premier League.

I laughed the other evening when Matt Smith was on (who I like very much and wish he were on more). He promised that they were going to talk about all the PL teams below the top 6. Within minutes, they were discussing Eden Hazard and Courtois. Someone texted in, 'That didn't last long!'.

At least Smith read it out.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

tennisman wrote:
m4rkb wrote:I think TS are doing a half decent job of the boxing to be fair. Not as polished as the BBC but then again nowhere near as well resourced.

Actually, I agree with you about the coverage.

My problem is that I'm not a boxing fan. so when I hear another programme staring with Adam Cattrall, I have to switch off.

I am a cricket fan but that sport is eating itself currently with all sorts of shenanigans with its governing body and the future of the game. In addition, for some time, cricket's domestic schedule, never mind its international one is a complete and utter shambles. (Of course, TS barely scratches the surface with any of it, except when Danny Kelly asks Goffee for a few grunts).

But boxing, with its 4 boards just drives me nuts. How does anyone follow it and keep track?

You're absolutely right, ten. I don't like boxing either and it grinds my teeth when two months leading up to any mediocre fight the whole station including Georgie bloody Bingham suddenly start bigging up the fight. It really is for knuckle dragging morons like Brazil, Cundy and Goffeh and for some reason, I can just about live with racing and golf talk but these twats who think that talking about psychology and technique, it really doesn't it well with me.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

As a boxing fan, always appreciate the sport on any station, despite Catterall and A. Davies' ubiquity.

However, like everything else, everything is overhyped. Saturdays fight a good example, a non-title fight between the two men Joshua defeated was egged up as a for redemption and to fight either Joshua again or Wilder. It was an OK fight though, but was in reality the Europa League final rather than the Champions League final

Plus the cocksucking of cunt Hearn means never being critical, they let Hearn blather on about it being on PPV for £19.95 without barely a harsh question.

Plus I listened to the start of the show at 7pm and having undercards is good but only hardcore fans will listen. Christ, go to a boxing event and only hardcore fans are actually watching the undercard, most are aleing up. You can see it on TV with the empty seats, ringside is near full because the the fighters family and friends are there.

Even the usually decent Kevin Mitchell here deifying cunt Hearn. FFS, Kevin, Chisora is a fucking journeyman: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... ight-power
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Agree with you on pundits who know nothing. At least Nigel Durham once had the good grace to admit he doesn't know much about boxing. Still didn't stop him waffling on for hours about it.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

How does Goffeh rate on his boxing punditry, if you can call it that, Carlos? I've read it on here previously that he does actually know his stuff.

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

This morning it was boxing and the snore de france, so I even had to leave DK behind. It will be wall to wall footie soon enough, but off to jolly old Goodwood and Rupert Bell for talkHORSE for the rest of the week.

It'll be interesting to see how little (or much) cricket they allow on to the main station once their test coverage kicks in this autumn. My guess is the bulk of it will be out the way on DAB, causing palpitations for the maiden aunts used to their R4 fix of TMS.
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

Lord Notin Kwestion

Post by Lord Notin Kwestion »

tennisman wrote:When's it going to happen?

I've always said the station should be called Talk Football but recently, I've changed my mid as such a station name is no longer applicable.

How will we cope with a daily diet of Gareth A. Davies? (He must think he's an American)

It isn’t.
Imagine a vaccine so safe you have to blackmailed into taking it, for a virus so deadly you have to be tested to know if you have it.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

kancutlawns wrote:How does Goffeh rate on his boxing punditry, if you can call it that, Carlos? I've read it on here previously that he does actually know his stuff.

Yeah, actually seems to be a fan and watches fights other than socalled megashows to give the Goff some credit.

Northern Troglodite

Post by Northern Troglodite »

Carlos J wrote:
kancutlawns wrote:How does Goffeh rate on his boxing punditry, if you can call it that, Carlos? I've read it on here previously that he does actually know his stuff.

Yeah, actually seems to be a fan and watches fights other than socalled megashows to give the Goff some credit.

Giving the Chimp any credit for anything above toilet training ,is a sign of weakness . Stop it now :D
Bring on "The Clutcher :)

JW90

Post by JW90 »

tennisman wrote:When's it going to happen?

Eddie Hearn will be on most of the time.

Oh, that happens already.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

Just switched on again after a while. What are they talking about? Boxing.

Cundy talking as if he's really interested.

Maybe all these TS presenters really do like it?

Goffee - Talking about some heavyweight or other, 'e duzn't mind travellin'.

Probably the last time I had even a passing interest in the sport was when Frank Bruno looked good in a tux - 'Know what I mean, arry?'

PS Now they are moving on to the other core subject they are all falling back on - Jose. Remember people, there are 91 other league clubs in the country.