Britain is broken

In-depth debate on all topical issues
kevin04

Re: Britain is broken

Post by kevin04 »

There's probably a fine line to stand between self-confidence and IDGAF attitude. I wouldn't say IDGAF, but as I get older, I can't believe how mundane and stale so many conversations are. The group chat with friends (from high school, now 18 odd years ago) is basically shite jokes, the odd picture of a woman and football talk. 95% of my friends do so they no doubt are absolutely knackered! Just, thought somehow many conversations I would have people I'd known for most of my life would have a bit more juice about them.

Also, I've started reading Tao Te Ching quite regularly and find myself going more that way towards minimalism ; less is more mindset.

thought by now entering my late 30s - I thought somehow 15-20 years ago, I'll surely get it then ; then you realise not many folk do have their shit together, either. And by saying ''getting it'' I don't get it either and try not judge others, but the brass neck on so many who have opinions on things they know very little about is quite astounding too I never really thought things like mediation would work or if they would work on my brain chemistry ; but it is slowly I think - slowing everything down, mannerisms, decision making, too.

Quite a self-indulgent post, but I feel like I'm going to end up a Monk at this rate! :D And I'm not boasting or crowing that I can talk about my feelings often with good-willed strangers (if we both know the score/want that conversation) but I'm amazed and how once you get talking to people, some are willing to open up.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Great post, Kevin and more power to you.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

subsub

Post by subsub »

kevin04 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:39 pm The group chat with friends (from high school, now 18 odd years ago) is basically shite jokes, the odd picture of a woman and football talk
Welcome to TalkForum :mrgreen:
WOKE AND PROUD

rorymac

Post by rorymac »

Yes .. admirable post Kevin.
I think most folks get lost in early adulthood unable to grow up with horrendous examples for leaders .. they have no choice but to double down and remain children until something severe happens possibly. You are actually supposed to gain wisdom and the ability to think you might be wrong and hence humble. How can folks even stay alive beyond midlife full of resentment and fear and bullshit half baked opinions they double down on ! You have to try to be kind to these folks if they're your mates because there but for the grace etc.
A reason, a season or a lifetime is a good way to think of old friends or new even. The road should get narrow too but the world keeps opening up so don't be swayed imo.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Junior doctors having a few days off then. They only want a 35% rise. :rolleyes:
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

subsub

Post by subsub »

rorymac wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:56 pm How can folks even stay alive beyond midlife full of resentment and fear and bullshit half baked opinions they double down on
Tabloid newspapers must take their share of the blame here. Their chief role is to spread fear and bigotry, which is why a portion of the British public have a small-minded attitude to those from different cultures, races and religions.
WOKE AND PROUD

rorymac

Post by rorymac »

Weirdly you see the same thing with the internet .. decent intelligent people become total arseholes in a few years with the power and money. Seems to be the human condition !

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

kevin04 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:39 pm There's probably a fine line to stand between self-confidence and IDGAF attitude. I wouldn't say IDGAF, but as I get older, I can't believe how mundane and stale so many conversations are. The group chat with friends (from high school, now 18 odd years ago) is basically shite jokes, the odd picture of a woman and football talk. 95% of my friends do so they no doubt are absolutely knackered! Just, thought somehow many conversations I would have people I'd known for most of my life would have a bit more juice about them.

Also, I've started reading Tao Te Ching quite regularly and find myself going more that way towards minimalism ; less is more mindset.

thought by now entering my late 30s - I thought somehow 15-20 years ago, I'll surely get it then ; then you realise not many folk do have their shit together, either. And by saying ''getting it'' I don't get it either and try not judge others, but the brass neck on so many who have opinions on things they know very little about is quite astounding too I never really thought things like mediation would work or if they would work on my brain chemistry ; but it is slowly I think - slowing everything down, mannerisms, decision making, too.

Quite a self-indulgent post, but I feel like I'm going to end up a Monk at this rate! :D And I'm not boasting or crowing that I can talk about my feelings often with good-willed strangers (if we both know the score/want that conversation) but I'm amazed and how once you get talking to people, some are willing to open up.
That's so interesting! My husband says the same thing. People, from the ordinary to the Oxbridge-educated, aren't well read anymore. They don't write, read books or proactively seek out news and current affairs. Got a question? Ask ChatGPT. Want information on historical dates? Google it. "News"? Scan Twitter. Want to be entertained? Netflix. University education, merely a stamp of approval these days, is dumbed down. Our attention spans are diminishing.

Public libraries are shutting down at an alarming rate across the country.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
“The forum's saucy upstart” –Ghost
“Solid broess” –Sadact7
“Decent long termer”–Paolo

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Let's celebrate Kevin! Kevin, you are a good, sweet soul! God speed, my friend.
( ◡‿◡ )
“Solid broess” –Sadact7

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

subsub wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:31 am
JimmyDee wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:29 am
lambrini wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:44 pm One thing I mourn is the change in basic etiquette. Sure, we've always had rude and trashy behaviour, but it seems increasingly common these days ...
Indeed. The "well that's just me, that's just who I am" attitude is now something the rest of us are supposed to admire. Bumping along, not annoying anyone else, is a concept alien to many people in this enlightened age.
Yep, this not-giving-a-fuck attitude is definitely more common than a decade or so ago.
Reality TV is partly to blame, promoting all this "no regrets" bollocks and self-promotion etc
+1

Instagram is the worst for that. My siblings never contact me but regularly post to their few hundred followers on Instagram – everything from job promotions to Mental Health Awareness Week (reaching out and talking matters, guize!!!!) It's all a sham; I can't stand it.
( ◡‿◡ )
“Solid broess” –Sadact7

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

There’s alot of people who seem to be very angry at all hours of the day, these days. It’s like they feel the nation owes them something or other. They probably see their mates (people they no longer talk to), leading a great life (via fake posts) on social media and feel aggrieved.

Heard a bloke on LBC having a right rant about the current issues of the day. Only thing was, this was at about 6.30am. I wonder what sort of state he was in by 11am?
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Probably thrashed his acorn into a bloody cheesepool
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

JudgeTedd wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:00 pm There’s alot of people who seem to be very angry at all hours of the day, these days. It’s like they feel the nation owes them something or other. They probably see their mates (people they no longer talk to), leading a great life (via fake posts) on social media and feel aggrieved.

Heard a bloke on LBC having a right rant about the current issues of the day. Only thing was, this was at about 6.30am. I wonder what sort of state he was in by 11am?
😂😂😂😂

I know what you mean, though.
I call my nan almost every day (she doesn’t have the Internet) and it's like going back in time. She's a dear old soul. She's rarely angry or upset, but I wish she wouldn't read so much of the Daily Mail and the Express: "They're all, what's that thing... woke. What is "woke"? Are you woke?"

Me: 😂😂😂😂😂
( ◡‿◡ )
“Solid broess” –Sadact7

subsub

Post by subsub »

lambrini wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:16 pm
JudgeTedd wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:00 pm There’s alot of people who seem to be very angry at all hours of the day, these days. It’s like they feel the nation owes them something or other. They probably see their mates (people they no longer talk to), leading a great life (via fake posts) on social media and feel aggrieved.

😂😂😂😂

I know what you mean, though.
I call my nan almost every day (she doesn’t have the Internet) and it's like going back in time. She's a dear old soul. She's rarely angry or upset, but I wish she wouldn't read so much of the Daily Mail and the Express: "They're all, what's that thing... woke. What is "woke"? Are you woke?"

Me: 😂😂😂😂😂
More power to her for reading the DM and the Express and not being angry or upset, given their daily diet of bigotry.
WOKE AND PROUD

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

The simple art of crossing a road safely becomes a subject for great debate. Good grief.

It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022