Britain is broken

In-depth debate on all topical issues
theleader82

Re: Britain is broken

Post by theleader82 »

Another problem is the health tourists and others that haven’t contributed clogging up the nhs. That’s why I agree with id cards
Man U and rangers

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

theleader82 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pm Another problem is the health tourists and others that haven’t contributed clogging up the nhs. That’s why I agree with id cards
Have a read of this Leado. It was dispel some of the myths.

https://keepournhspublic.com/health-tou ... 0existence.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

kancutlawns wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:57 pm
theleader82 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pm Another problem is the health tourists and others that haven’t contributed clogging up the nhs. That’s why I agree with id cards

That’s from a pro nhs group. I’d like to see us more towards an Australian or Canadian health care model.
Man U and rangers

Salem

Post by Salem »

Fair point , Lead-o .
"There was one victim"

MAGA...........'mon the Don 24 😎

Whispering Grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know .....

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

lambrini wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:21 am The country has been broken for years.
Starting in the late 60s, looking back on it :-)
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

JimmyDee wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:08 pm
lambrini wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:21 am The country has been broken for years.
Starting in the late 60s, looking back on it :-)
Defeatist nonsense. No wonder we’re on our knees as a nation, no bloody backbone. Not you Jimmy.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

theleader82 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:00 pm
kancutlawns wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:57 pm

That’s from a pro nhs group. I’d like to see us more towards an Australian or Canadian health care model.
What lies have they told?

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

Zambo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:46 pm
Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:35 pm
Vespa wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:22 am
Salem wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:56 am He was spot on when he said the Tories couldn't fight the next election on their record of this last Parliament . It's been a fucking shambles

Maybe if they had carried out the promises they made at the last election , which i believe promised to stop the invasion and control the borders , they may have stood a chance .

Alas , it's too late and as the OP suggests , Britain is broken and there's no going back :(
I think it can bounce back. The fundamental problem is the British political system views its people as a cost, not an asset. Higher taxes and well-run public systems, so people can be well-educated, have good jobs, be safe and healthy, is the cornerstone of societies that invest in their people. We've just never had an honest conversation about tax and spend.
A couple of days ago I was listening to a discussion about childcare.
A woman called in. British, but married to a German. Both professionals.
They had lived in Berlin when their children were born, but moved here recently ( I think to Leicester).
They have both resumed their careers here.
She was shocked. In Berlin childcare was free. Here is is (a) hard to find and (b) expensive ( she mentioned £13000 per child). There is a childcare payment, but not enough and not for high earners.
For two children they have to earn £32k before tax just to have their children cared for.
They have been talking about her giving up her career.
In Berlin public transport was easy , cheap and reliable.. Here they have had to buy a car.
Did they pay more tax in Germany? Yes, by about 10%
What did they get for that? See above. Lose your job, get 70% of what you earned for a year, then £600 pa after that.
What will the Tories offer at the next election? Lower taxes.
What will Labour offer? No higher taxes
No-one is prepared to grasp the nettle that we need higher taxes and greater infrastructure, both hard and soft.
Obviously didn't do their homework

Should have stayed in Berlin.
Not a good response.
We are supposed , according to Johnson to be aiming for a "high-skill, high-wage" economy.
We need educated people here to support the type of industry we are supposed to want to encourage.
And this is what they find when they come here.
Our support for childcare ( in a situation where we are supposed to be concerned about the population's age profile) is stone age.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

kancutlawns wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:18 pm Defeatist nonsense.
Defeatist, but not nonsense. As eminent political thinker Gary Lineker might have put it: yeah, but the Nazis, though.
They hanged people from lamp-posts in 1945 for "defeatist remarks", but as it turned out the German Army ended up actually defeated.
So there :-)
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:28 pm
Zambo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:46 pm
Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:35 pm
Vespa wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:22 am
Salem wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:56 am He was spot on when he said the Tories couldn't fight the next election on their record of this last Parliament . It's been a fucking shambles

Maybe if they had carried out the promises they made at the last election , which i believe promised to stop the invasion and control the borders , they may have stood a chance .

Alas , it's too late and as the OP suggests , Britain is broken and there's no going back :(
I think it can bounce back. The fundamental problem is the British political system views its people as a cost, not an asset. Higher taxes and well-run public systems, so people can be well-educated, have good jobs, be safe and healthy, is the cornerstone of societies that invest in their people. We've just never had an honest conversation about tax and spend.
A couple of days ago I was listening to a discussion about childcare.
A woman called in. British, but married to a German. Both professionals.
They had lived in Berlin when their children were born, but moved here recently ( I think to Leicester).
They have both resumed their careers here.
She was shocked. In Berlin childcare was free. Here is is (a) hard to find and (b) expensive ( she mentioned £13000 per child). There is a childcare payment, but not enough and not for high earners.
For two children they have to earn £32k before tax just to have their children cared for.
They have been talking about her giving up her career.
In Berlin public transport was easy , cheap and reliable.. Here they have had to buy a car.
Did they pay more tax in Germany? Yes, by about 10%
What did they get for that? See above. Lose your job, get 70% of what you earned for a year, then £600 pa after that.
What will the Tories offer at the next election? Lower taxes.
What will Labour offer? No higher taxes
No-one is prepared to grasp the nettle that we need higher taxes and greater infrastructure, both hard and soft.
Obviously didn't do their homework

Should have stayed in Berlin.
Not a good response.
We are supposed , according to Johnson to be aiming for a "high-skill, high-wage" economy.
We need educated people here to support the type of industry we are supposed to want to encourage.
And this is what they find when they come here.
Our support for childcare ( in a situation where we are supposed to be concerned about the population's age profile) is stone age.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

birdie

Post by birdie »

:lol: :lol:
Reminds me of the time I had to have surgery, went for the pre op assessment and the woman behind the desk asked me how long I had been in the country, (she hadn't asked the 3 or 4 previous bods that question), I asked if that was relevant, she said something about entitlement to use the NHS, I very politely told her that, judging by her accent, I had been in the country long before she'd even been born, and even though I had a foreign name I was, indeed, a British citizen as was my foreign named husband who had been born i at the EGA, she didn't know what the EGA was so I enlightened her.
I can only assume that my name prompted the question as the other bods had good old English names. :lol:
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

birdie wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:05 pm
Reminds me of the time I had to have surgery, went for the pre op assessment and the woman behind the desk asked me how long I had been in the country, (she hadn't asked the 3 or 4 previous bods that question), I asked if that was relevant, she said something about entitlement to use the NHS, I very politely told her that, judging by her accent, I had been in the country long before she'd even been born, and even though I had a foreign name I was, indeed, a British citizen as was my foreign named husband who had been born i at the EGA, she didn't know what the EGA was so I enlightened her.
I can only assume that my name prompted the question as the other bods had good old English names. :lol:
Are you sure it wasn't Lady Susan Hussey. :D

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Think when you examine it most of the world is fucked, so we are in good company !
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

delboy1983 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:23 pm Think when you examine it most of the world is fucked, so we are in good company !
It's that Brexit what broke us. There are no other influencing factors.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Zambo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:20 pm
birdie wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:05 pm
Are you sure it wasn't Lady Susan Hussey. :D
Not unless Lady Susan has an Iberian accent :lol:
Daft thing is, I don't speak 'London', I speak Yorkshire, but I suppose to the daft bint that sounded foreign. :lol:
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it