Recommend me a chilli recipe

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Vespa

Recommend me a chilli recipe

Post by Vespa »

I've been challenged!!

My partner is an amazing cook, it is their real passion.

To it put in context in the eight years we've lived this house we've had three kitchens installed - twice in the house and an outdoor one with BBQs and stuff. If they weren't an accountancy nerd they could easily work in a high end cooking joint.

This means I'm the lazy fucker in the kitchen but I've run out of road - 'hey, how about a chilli this weekend, you could make it on the BBQ' I asked 'you do it you lazy bum' came the answer.

I'm going to do it on the Joe in the garden and use brisket, but have no clue as to a good recipe. Fat tongued hero Jamie Oliver has this which looked pretty nice.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bee ... con-jamie/

Recommend me a good one, effort no barrier.

antdad

Re: Recommend me a chilli recipe

Post by antdad »

I don't follow the recipe below to the letter because it's very rich but you know with HB every element is about extracting or enhancing maximum flavour. I don't make the spiced butter but use the same ingredients in the actual dish especially star anise which works very well with beef and the umami adding elements like Marmite and Worcestshire sauce and I'd go with beef stock and not so much wine over coffee every day of the week, I don't care how cowboy authentic JOliver's recipe is.

https://www.thefatduckgroup.com/rich-ch ... ed-butter/
Last edited by antdad on Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

"Ask your butcher to trim and slice your brisket for you" ... but then ...
"2 x 400 g tins of beans , such as kidney".

Something doesn't add up here. Mister "a few lugs of oil" is either a man of the people who uses tinned beans or he has his own personal butcher, but he can't be both. Does the large-tongued imbecile not know that you can cook beans in 30 mins if you forget to soak them overnight? Google it, or ask your butcher to google it for you if you're pushed for time.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

JimmyDee wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:06 pm
"Ask your butcher to trim and slice your brisket for you" ... but then ...
"2 x 400 g tins of beans , such as kidney".

Something doesn't add up here. Mister "a few lugs of oil" is either a man of the people who uses tinned beans or he has his own personal butcher, but he can't be both. Does the large-tongued imbecile not know that you can cook beans in 30 mins if you forget to soak them overnight? Google it, or ask your butcher to google it for you if you're pushed for time.
We've got dried beans and sn 1/8th of a cow in the freezer.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

antdad wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:58 pm I don't follow the recipe below to the letter because it's very rich but you know with HB every element is about extracting or enhancing maximum flavour. I don't make the spiced butter but use the same ingredients in the actual dish especially star anise which works very well with beef and the umami adding elements like Marmite and Worcestshire sauce and I'd go with beef stock and not so much wine over coffee every day of the week, I don't care how cowboy authentic JOliver's recipe is.

https://www.thefatduckgroup.com/rich-ch ... ed-butter/
This looks lovely.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Vespa wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:17 pm We've got dried beans and sn 1/8th of a cow in the freezer.
I'm looking to buy 1/8th of an alpaca soon. What do they taste like?
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

JimmyDee wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:39 pm
Vespa wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:17 pm We've got dried beans and sn 1/8th of a cow in the freezer.
I'm looking to buy 1/8th of an alpaca soon. What do they taste like?
Bitter.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Add cumin.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Operation chilli is underway - a few more hours until the sauce is sticky and then I'll go to the huge effort of putting the rice maker on.

We're now watching Coogan's Bluff in the garden room.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Vespa wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:16 pm Operation chilli is underway - a few more hours until the sauce is sticky and then I'll go to the huge effort of putting the rice maker on.

Looks ace.
I cooked a piece of brisket on the smoker a few weeks ago, and it really adds a stack of flavour to a chilli.
WOKE AND PROUD

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

subsub wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:54 pm
Vespa wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:16 pm Operation chilli is underway - a few more hours until the sauce is sticky and then I'll go to the huge effort of putting the rice maker on.

Looks ace.
I cooked a piece of brisket on the smoker a few weeks ago, and it really adds a stack of flavour to a chilli.
We''ve got kamado joes, they are magical when it comes to cooking meat.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Honestly, I'm not joking about the cumin, it really brings out the taste of the meat
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Basualdo wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:16 pm Honestly, I'm not joking about the cumin, it really brings out the taste of the meat
It's got cumin in it. I'm told it needs to reduce a bit.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Vespa wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:09 pm

Looks ace.
I would love one of those.
There's a good comparison video on YouTube where they say they're better made than the Big Green Egg.
WOKE AND PROUD

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

subsub wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:38 pm
Vespa wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:09 pm

Looks ace.
I would love one of those.
There's a good comparison video on YouTube where they say they're better made than the Big Green Egg.
I didn't pick it, but at the time it had lots of attachments that BGE have now copied.