Sadiq Khan

In-depth debate on all topical issues
birdie

Re: Sadiq Khan

Post by birdie »

antdad wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:41 pm @Birdie

Clint's Dollars Trillogy was filmed in Spain but the term "Spaghetti Westerns" was coined by a Spanish journalist because the crews, writers, directors and producers were usually all Italian. Many hundreds of these films were shot in the South of Italy and yes also Spain because they were low budget and it was very cheap to do so.
Ha ha, all fiction and fur coat and no knickers, a bit like Labour 28b a year on green projects. :lol:
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Carlos J wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:03 am
birdie wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:37 am What a surprise, not.
Who would have ever imagined that film makers use various locations in filming. You only have to look at any TV drama and search for the various locations used in them, Nash terraces in Bath purporting to be in London, same with parks and open spaces, village streets and ponds used as locations for dramas set a 100 miles away.
It's simple really, just like Khan supporters, Khan and TFL most likely refused permission to film on the underground network.
Indeed. Channel 5 and filmmakers often use Budapest for Britain in their shitty dramas due to tax breaks etc. Was done last week in 'Coma' and even though they try to hide it as much as possible you can tell it's not Britain by the houses and buildings.
To be fair this was an advert about crime in London and they use 2019 footage from Pennsylvania Station. The Tory campaign in London is a bit weird. The campaign launch didn't invite any press and their social media ads often don't mention the Tory Party. Also the candidate is odd.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Vespa wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:22 pm
Who would have ever imagined that film makers use various locations in filming. You only have to look at any TV drama and search for the various locations used in them, Nash terraces in Bath purporting to be in London, same with parks and open spaces, village streets and ponds used as locations for dramas set a 100 miles away.
It's simple really, just like Khan supporters, Khan and TFL most likely refused permission to film on the underground network.
Indeed. Channel 5 and filmmakers often use Budapest for Britain in their shitty dramas due to tax breaks etc. Was done last week in 'Coma' and even though they try to hide it as much as possible you can tell it's not Britain by the houses and buildings.
To be fair this was an advert about crime in London and they use 2019 footage from Pennsylvania Station. The Tory campaign in London is a bit weird. The campaign launch didn't invite any press and their social media ads often don't mention the Tory Party. Also the candidate is odd.
Yes she is odd, heard the wallet excuses.:lol: and yeah, though thought it was 2017 stampede footage of Penn Station subway after reports of gunfire.

Penn Station is quite nice, under the Garden. Once got a train to Chicago from there. Supposed to take about 20hrs but because of snow took about 25.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

antdad

Post by antdad »

Do the candidates really align themselves with their parties though? Understandibly the Tories would want little to do with Hall who seems to be a walking disaster. See if Rishy or any of the cabinet give an endorsement.

Ah recognise that as my ma lives down the road in the consistuency, it's the Battle of Britain bunker at RAF Uxbridge. Grasping at straws there but no surprise at who's vote she angling for then, stop the invasion !!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... %20capital.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Carlos J wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:49 pm
Yes she is odd, heard the wallet excuses.:lol: and yeah, though thought it was 2017 stampede footage of Penn Station subway after reports of gunfire.

Penn Station is quite nice, under the Garden. Once got a train to Chicago from there. Supposed to take about 20hrs but because of snow took about 25.
Love a good train ride.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Vespa wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:59 pm
Carlos J wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:49 pm

Love a good train ride.
Me too. Hopefully more to come for both of us.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

antdad

Post by antdad »

birdie wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:56 pm Ha ha, all fiction and fur coat and no knickers, a bit like Labour 28b a year on green projects. :lol:
Surely you'd approve of kerbing future spending plans based on the fairly ruinous state of the actual economy rather than say guarantee the pension triple lock for ideological reasons? :wink:

birdie

Post by birdie »

antdad wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:44 pm
birdie wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:56 pm Ha ha, all fiction and fur coat and no knickers, a bit like Labour 28b a year on green projects. :lol:
Surely you'd approve of kerbing future spending plans based on the fairly ruinous state of the actual economy rather than say guarantee the pension triple lock for ideological reasons? :wink:
So you agree with the Gordon Brown approach towards pensioners, many of whom don't have private pensions and the state retirement pension is their only source of income.

Shame on them for living too long.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

antdad wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:44 pm
Abolishing VAT sounds a legit plan.

rorymac

Post by rorymac »

It's a real strange un .. I don't know anyone who likes him and many who despise him. I don't get involved but I get about and keep my ears open. Therefore I declare it very strange that he's actually mayor unless the quality of the appalling opposition is deliberately so.
Personally I think if you're a mayor of somewhere and you need protection to walk down the street, then you need to be sacked basically. He had bodyguards on the first elizabeth line journey and he told me mate to cheer up and not be such a sourpuss .. he gets plus points for that in fairness but still a head scratcher. Red Ken used to amble about and say hello to you even.

<nudges spectacles>

<squints into distance>

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

I think if the Tories were serious about challenging Khan they would have picked a candidate a year ago and got to work. Sue Hall is just awful. She can't talk, supports random weird tweets and just comes across as a loony granny.

Anyway vote for Zoë Garbett.

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

There’s only one sensible choice for the next London Mayor. Step forward…..

It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

subsub

Post by subsub »

JudgeTedd wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:24 pm There’s only one sensible choice for the next London Mayor. Step forward…..

He got more votes than Laurence Fox, didn't he? :lol:
WOKE AND PROUD

antdad

Post by antdad »

rorymac wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:47 pm Personally I think if you're a mayor of somewhere and you need protection to walk down the street, then you need to be sacked basically. He had bodyguards on the first elizabeth line journey and he told me mate to cheer up and not be such a sourpuss .. he gets plus points for that in fairness but still a head scratcher. Red Ken used to amble about and say hello to you even.
Times have certainly changed since Ken's time, politicians are now continually threatened and abused and MP's from both sides have been murdered. Khan though is one of the most threatened politicians out there as somewhat evidenced by the vitriol in this thread. Not sure why a Scottish newspaper would run with this topic but there you are it gives you a flavour of what he has to put up with.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/opinion/m ... y-25230831

rorymac

Post by rorymac »

You're right .. it's not obvious to me whether he is or isn't a good mayor but thinking he should be sacked for needing protection is defo not right. Back to not having an opinion on account of knowing fuckall about being a mayor tbf. I did meet a few mayors of smaller places but they just hung about being jovial and eating lots of dinners and that !