Woke

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Sunbeam Alpine

Re: Woke

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

The only thing is that this is NOT what she said.
She did not say there were too many males, but that there were not enough females. An entirely different point.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

lambrini wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:24 pm More "DIE" bullshit from tinpot hitlers in nonsense positions. I wonder if this bonehead, a WHITE BRITISH woman, would be willing to give up her position for "diversity"? I doubt it.

Ian is a conman, however, she's saying the rail services should find ways to attract different people not bemoaning white men having jobs. I got my first job here from an international advert, was that a racist or sexist advert?

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Not sure what the issue is with men's clubs. It is funny to see famous people in these clubs act shocked no women were allowed.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:31 am The only thing is that this is NOT what she said.
She did not say there were too many males, but that there were not enough females. An entirely different point.
As with any other job, if women don't want to apply no amount of 'diversity' posturing will make a woman apply.

It's just hot air and trying to justify her existance.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

What do they do in "mens clubs"? Bum p diddy?
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:31 am The only thing is that this is NOT what she said.
Cut the crap and cut to the chase instead.

Not enough females bollocks. The criteria should be when selecting employees for positions is a follows.

The best person.

Irrelevant are

Colour of skin, age, sex, whether you have a cock or not, and you want to be a man or a woman.

If that means 90% are LGTBQ so be it

If that means none are, again so be it.

Heads of Talent, Diversity and Inclusion, have a role, but only to encourage and support, not demand that there are more of any particular gender etc.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

So you want to dig yourself deeper.

OK

Like many employers, I imagine she would like to see interest in jobs from across society. For the primary reason, which you espouse, of finding the best people. But if people who could be the best don't apply, everybody has lost.

There is nothing in her statement about lowering standards to appoint women. In fact it may be that standards are not what she would like amongst current applicants. We know that for the last ten years or so girls leaving school are likely to be more numerate and literate than their male peers.

Who you encourage applications from, and who you appoint, are two different things.

Yet another twisted social media post to excite the hard of thinking. And it worked.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Could the reason for wanting women to apply be that the calibre of men applying is wanting?

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

Is my point.

We have the same fallacy when police try to increase applications from minorities.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Strange how some get so precious when it's suggested that people from other walks of life be given a fairer opportunity to enter workplaces and other spheres within society.

birdie

Post by birdie »

As far as I am aware there are no restrictions as to who can apply for any particular job, just look at the motley crew in Parliament, some of them I wouldn't trust to look after next door's cat let alone the welfare of the country.
That someone bemoans that a particular job is mainly male and looks to encourage women to apply is just plain daft, there is, as far as I know, no reason why women shouldn't apply, the fact that they don't is nothing to do with the job.

There doesn't seem to be a reason why women don't apply to work in refuse collection, but they don't seem to, and there is also, as far as I can see, no reason why Asians don't either, at least not on the truck which collects my bin, but there are some black faces, again, I wonder why.

As I have said, most jobs are open to both sexes, and, apart from qualifications which apply, there doesn't seem to be a reason why they don't.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

birdie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:30 pm There doesn't seem to be a reason why women don't apply to work in refuse collectors
We need more binbirds. Blatant discrimination.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

birdie

Post by birdie »

Zambo wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:47 pm
birdie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:30 pm There doesn't seem to be a reason why women don't apply to work in refuse collectors
We need more binbirds. Blatant discrimination.
:P Many years ago the local press printed an article about a highways cleansing operative In Potters Bar who, apparently, was lauded by the locals for the diligent way this person carried out their duty, leaving the highway cleaner than the locals had seen for ears, with a smile, a cheery word and even occasionally stopping the traffic to allow elderly person to cross the road.
Now, why was this newsworthy, you may ask, no reason except the the cleansing operative was a lass about 20 years old.

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

It's interesting how more female bus drivers you see now.
But I don't recall seeing female train drivers.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Saw a report on the news yesterday (could have been Monday) that one reason that housebuilding targets are not being met is the lack of bricklayers, (yeah, yeah, stop sniggering at the back.) so some FE C is training girls in the trade.

I wonder if they will go bare chested in the hot weather.