The North-West of England

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
kancutlawns

Re: The North-West of England

Post by kancutlawns »

Sid Pervcat wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:40 pm
Hillman avenger wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:40 am Thames Valley includes SLOUGH, Bracknell, brain-dead Reading..
Why is Reading Brain dead,
It’s not brain dead. A number of hi-tech organisations in Slough and Bracknell too so Hillman’s being rather disingenuous there to put it lightly.

I think what he’s done is pick up that there are council estates in those towns and looks down on them, rightly or wrongly but, people have to live somewhere, they can’t afford to live in Ascot, Windsor or Maidenhead.

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

kancutlawns wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:46 pm
Hillman avenger wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:40 am Thames Valley includes SLOUGH, Bracknell, brain-dead Reading..
It’s not brain dead. A number of hi-tech organisations in Slough and Bracknell too so Hillman’s being rather disingenuous there to put it lightly.

I think what he’s done is pick up that there are council estates in those towns and looks down on them, rightly or wrongly but, people have to live somewhere, they can’t afford to live in Ascot, Windsor or Maidenhead.
Hillmanz gonna Hillman

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

kancutlawns wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:46 pm

Windsor has Council estates, I lived on one for 20 years.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Yes it does but my point was that the towns I mentioned are renowned for their prosperity and being where the privileged classes largely live and Slough, Bracknell and Reading are generally sneered at and have been for at least the last couple of decades.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

kancutlawns wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:23 pm Yes it does but my point was that the towns I mentioned are renowned for their prosperity and being where the privileged classes largely live and Slough, Bracknell and Reading are generally sneered at and have been for at least the last couple of decades.
Slough isn't very nice, but parts of Bracknell and Reading are lovely, you don't know what you are talking about.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

chelseachelsea wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:29 pm
kancutlawns wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:23 pm Yes it does but my point was that the towns I mentioned are renowned for their prosperity and being where the privileged classes largely live and Slough, Bracknell and Reading are generally sneered at and have been for at least the last couple of decades.
Slough isn't very nice, but parts of Bracknell and Reading are lovely, you don't know what you are talking about.
I’ve worked in Bracknell and Reading. The first was quite grim but the surrounding area was lovely, especially the drive between Maidenhead and Bracknell. Reading’s got lovely suburbs like Cavendish on the Thames. Reading itself is so-so. Oracle Centre is a bit meh but the restaurants on the side are decent. On end of the London Road is shit and cheap but nice eating places on the other side.

Not sure why you’re having a go at me when I’ve been trying to give a balanced view against the disparaging comments Hillman made but there you go.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

kancutlawns wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:23 pm
I’ve worked in Bracknell and Reading. The first was quite grim but the surrounding area was lovely, especially the drive between Maidenhead and Bracknell. Reading’s got lovely suburbs like Cavendish on the Thames. Reading itself is so-so. Oracle Centre is a bit meh but the restaurants on the side are decent. On end of the London Road is shit and cheap but nice eating places on the other side.

Not sure why you’re having a go at me when I’ve been trying to give a balanced view against the disparaging comments Hillman made but there you go.
[/quote]

Not having a go at you at all, just saying the areas I grew up in are ok, not the best but by far not the worst.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Fair enough and I know those towns have good parts just as they have bad parts. That goes for all towns.