The North-West of England

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
kancutlawns

The North-West of England

Post by kancutlawns »

Worked there on a contract the year before last and couldn't quite get my head around the region. People coming from all over the shop like Runcorn, Warrington, Chester, then in North Cheshire towns like Northwich, Knutsford, Holmes Chapel, Timperley, Altrincham, Cheadle, Didsbury; then people across into Yorkshire like 'alifax and Sheffield, then Manchester itself, Salford, Liverpool and Lamcashire.

I found the compactness of the region with a veritable array of towns and cities rather overwhelming. Bit heavily populated and once you come from rural Cheshire, it's all rather built up. The city centre is decent but the building structure is different to what I'm used to. People are friendly up there but there's a bit of a drawl going on with the speech. Very traditional sort of places, it's actually easy to drive around from place to place. People are actually not cliched and cuntish as they may be in the East End of London, bit grim with the weather. I wouldn't know a 'bad wool' if someone came up and smacked me in the mouth with bad wool tattooed on his fingers.

Food choice is good up there but from my knowledge, only really on Wilmslow Road. Trafford Centre is horrendous for food although haven't eaten in the China Town area upstairs. Would I live there if I had a choice? Possibly. I can endure people talking about the football there as opposed to people in London or Glasgow who are trapped in their own bubble but yes, like people in Glasgow generally.

Yes, I know this is a vague and typically nonsensical post but I'm trying to tap into the psyche of people in this 'ere bailiwick about this regional powerhouse. People up north, what do you like about the place?

Sid Pervcat

Re: The North-West of England

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Yes.It is nonsensical. When you say "the city centre"
I assume you're talking about Manchester?

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Partially yes.

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

You make no sense.
You refer to "the city centre" without naming a city.

Rowntree

Post by Rowntree »

Sid Pervcat wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:52 pm You make no sense.
You've encountered Lawns before, yes?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Rowntree wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:53 pm
Sid Pervcat wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:52 pm You make no sense.
You've encountered Lawns before, yes?
I know, I know...

I was pissing in the wind as soon as I pressed send

Rowntree

Post by Rowntree »

kancutlawns wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:39 pmFood choice is good up there but from my knowledge, only really on Wilmslow Road
You are basing your judgements of the culinary expertise of an entire region of the UK on one road?

I may be wrong, but did you dine anywhere else other than Wilmslow Road?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Rowntree wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:20 pm
kancutlawns wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:39 pmFood choice is good up there but from my knowledge, only really on Wilmslow Road
You are basing your judgements of the culinary expertise of an entire region of the UK on one road?

Yes, an Indian in Cheadle. No great shakes to be fair. Been to Wilmslow Road many times but it's so famed and I love it there.

I would say that my dining experience in Liverpool is far superior and varied than Manchester.
Last edited by kancutlawns on Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Kankers, you do realise that the North West covers Cheshire, Merseyside, Greater Manc-chester, Lancashire and Cumbria, yes?

Rowntree

Post by Rowntree »

kancutlawns wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:24 pm
Rowntree wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:20 pm

Yes, an Indian in Cheadle. No great shakes to be fair. Been to Wilmslow Road many times but it's so famed and I love it there.

I would say that my dining experience in Liverpool is far superior and varied than Manchester.
I apologise profusely then. A well-travelled diner.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

kancutlawns wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:39 pm Worked there on a contract the year before last and couldn't quite get my head around the region. People coming from all over the shop like Runcorn, Warrington, Chester, then in North Cheshire towns like Northwich, Knutsford, Holmes Chapel, Timperley, Altrincham, Cheadle, Didsbury; then people across into Yorkshire like 'alifax and Sheffield, then Manchester itself, Salford, Liverpool and Lamcashire.

I found the compactness of the region with a veritable array of towns and cities rather overwhelming. Bit heavily populated and once you come from rural Cheshire, it's all rather built up. The city centre is decent but the building structure is different to what I'm used to. People are friendly up there but there's a bit of a drawl going on with the speech. Very traditional sort of places, it's actually easy to drive around from place to place. People are actually not cliched and cuntish as they may be in the East End of London, bit grim with the weather. I wouldn't know a 'bad wool' if someone came up and smacked me in the mouth with bad wool tattooed on his fingers.

Food choice is good up there but from my knowledge, only really on Wilmslow Road. Trafford Centre is horrendous for food although haven't eaten in the China Town area upstairs. Would I live there if I had a choice? Possibly. I can endure people talking about the football there as opposed to people in London or Glasgow who are trapped in their own bubble but yes, like people in Glasgow generally.

Yes, I know this is a vague and typically nonsensical post but I'm trying to tap into the psyche of people in this 'ere bailiwick about this regional powerhouse. People up north, what do you like about the place?
I lived for 20 years about 2 miles from the M40 near Oxford.
Some lovely aspects to living there but every journey was a pain.
My wife is asthmatic and suffered from the pollution.
Life was very expensive, very little public transport.
Some good restaurants and a lot of average ones.
Could take a train into London in an hour but in the end rarely did. Expensive, crowded, dirty.

Now live ( part of the time) 10 miles north of Liverpool.
13 miles of beaches within 5 miles drive.
Train to Liverpool every 15 minutes and the city is loaded with bars, restaurants, art, music
Superb country nearby..North Wales, Bowland, Lakes, Dales.
Far more value for money and people who talk to you.
My wife's asthma virtually gone
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Oh here he is..fucken Bill Bryson 🙄

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

He asked
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

How did you work that out from his post 🤣🤣🤣

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Hillman avenger wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:14 pm
kancutlawns wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:39 pm Worked there on a contract the year before last and couldn't quite get my head around the region. People coming from all over the shop like Runcorn, Warrington, Chester, then in North Cheshire towns like Northwich, Knutsford, Holmes Chapel, Timperley, Altrincham, Cheadle, Didsbury; then people across into Yorkshire like 'alifax and Sheffield, then Manchester itself, Salford, Liverpool and Lamcashire.

I lived for 20 years about 2 miles from the M40 near Oxford.
Some lovely aspects to living there but every journey was a pain.
My wife is asthmatic and suffered from the pollution.
Life was very expensive, very little public transport.
Some good restaurants and a lot of average ones.
Could take a train into London in an hour but in the end rarely did. Expensive, crowded, dirty.

Now live ( part of the time) 10 miles north of Liverpool.
13 miles of beaches within 5 miles drive.
Train to Liverpool every 15 minutes and the city is loaded with bars, restaurants, art, music
Superb country nearby..North Wales, Bowland, Lakes, Dales.
Far more value for money and people who talk to you.
My wife's asthma virtually gone
You must live more or less where half my family originated - Southport [or Meols as it was then] and the area around.