Zambo, you are the ref.

Anything sportlike
Zambo

Re: Zambo, you are the ref.

Post by Zambo »

kancutlawns wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:30 pm Zummers, today’s Villa vs Palace match, Chieck Doucoure commits a horrendous scissor tackle on Boubacar Kamara almost snapping his ankle in half. Kamara has to be carried off. Doucoure gets a yellow. Chambers replaces Kamara, Doucoure does the same to him inside a minute and gets a second yellow.

Should Craig Pawson be required to answer why the first wasn’t worthy of a straight red and furthermore why the second wasn’t? You may have to hang fire until after MoTD tonight.
Saw both incidents on MOTD. Both reckless and dangerous play. The first one was the worst of the two imo, but I can see why Pawson gave a yellow. The player's ankle turned at 90 degrees, but referees won't send off now unless it's a knee high challenge, which is bonkers. The second challenge he actually made an attempt to play the ball, but the follow through caught him.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

With the first tackle, whilst considered “legal” it’s a horrible one because it looked liked a scissor kick which means the player wio is fouled has his limb almost trapped and the force of the player inflicting it brings the force of his body down on him. Don’t know yet if the injury is a sprain or if it’s caused ligament damage.

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

If you've got a lot of spare time, [it's a very long article] you might find this of interest
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... en-england

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

VeritasVincit wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:15 pm If you've got a lot of spare time, [it's a very long article] you might find this of interest
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... en-england
An interesting read VV, although as you say long, and I did skim some if it. When I read the title of the article, my immediate thought was, is this just going to be a load of excuses for crap referees. Well there was some if that, but there was also some balance about how much harder it is these days with the intense scrutiny of match control and performance.

I think that much of the criticism they get though is fair. They are now professionals on a decent salary, and they should be more accountable imo for some of the shocking cock ups they make.

The article says their performances are 'meticulously dissected' by PGMOL staff, but I think that is a backwards step from the old match assessor process. Sitting behind a screen analysing is no substitute for being at the game and chatting to the ref in the dressing room afterwards when everything is still fresh. You can't assess positioning and movement, which is so critical for decision making as well behind a TV screen imo.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

As usual, they have been fiddling around with the laws again during the close season, which will only give match officials an interpretation headache in the main.

There will be changes to how they handle stoppage time and how injuries are assessed, but the one that caught my eye was DOGSO (depriving an opponent of a goal scoring opportunity).

The law will change when the infringement takes place in the box. Players will no longer be automatically red carded if the ref thinks the challenge was a genuine attempt to play the ball, or if it was a clumsy unintentional action. They will still be red carded if the foul was intentional e.g holding pushing or handball.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Collywobbles will be all over that
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:34 pm Collywobbles will be all over that
Like spunk on a windscreen.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

Liverpool think they've been hard done by having one decision go against them, interesting to get an unbiased opinion on three that didn't go our way saturday

40 secs in for the first two, 3 mins 45 for the last
There's no poem, just prose.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Can't get a good view or sound on the phone. Will check out ASAP.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:31 pm Liverpool think they've been hard done by having one decision go against them, interesting to get an unbiased opinion on three that didn't go our way saturday

First two nailed on pens. One of the biggest problems with all refs today is positioning and movement. They don't get assessed much these days so they get lazy. Judging infringement is much about angles. It's no good trying to do it directly behind play, you have to get wider to see what goes on. However, even that can't be an excuse for these incidents, you could have seen them from the stands the other end.

Couldn't see anything wrong with the header, looked clean with no foul on the keeper.

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

Zambo wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:37 am
Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:31 pm Liverpool think they've been hard done by having one decision go against them, interesting to get an unbiased opinion on three that didn't go our way saturday

First two nailed on pens. One of the biggest problems with all refs today is positioning and movement. They don't get assessed much these days so they get lazy. Judging infringement is much about angles. It's no good trying to do it directly behind play, you have to get wider to see what goes on. However, even that can't be an excuse for these incidents, you could have seen them from the stands the other end.

Couldn't see anything wrong with the header, looked clean with no foul on the keeper.
Cheers Zambo ! Not just my bias then
There's no poem, just prose.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

I'm with Zambo. Pens both times and the header, looked like the keeper made a pathetic attempt to get the ball and was out-jumped and out-muscled, so goal for me.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Zambo, dont know if you saw Hull v Norwich last night? Angus Gunn nearly being a modern day Harald Schumacher. No one booked and Connolly subbed with a nice bump on his forehead. Views, please:

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Well I'm speechless, well almost. Clearly not going for the ball leading with his forearm/elbow and smacks him in the head.

I don't know what these refs are looking at these days, maybe they are not getting the right views of the centre of play because of poor positioning, but something has to be done now it's infesting the game and obviously not just the Prem.

Clear red imo.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Yeah, definitely dangerous.