Re: Bird’s World Cup, Euros & WSL

Anything sportlike
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Clivert wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:54 pm
subsub wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:13 pm
Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:12 pm Mary Earps is odds on favourite to win BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Me neither
You often get random winners when there's no obvious choice, eg Zara Phillips, Ryan Giggs

There's plenty of English players in the Man City treble winners squad that are more deserving! I'm assuming that City, Pep and Haaland will win the team, coach and overseas awards respectively.
Very rare for a footballer to win based on their club achievements. Deserving or not, no chance any of them winning.

Didn’t she win the golden glove at the WC ? I’m trying to think who else is a contender. Without an Olympics it sort of rules out a few sports…..Boxing is a shambles. Maybe Ben Stokes.Tennis and rugby nothing.

I can sort of see why she’s favourite.

Clivert

Post by Clivert »

Jonathan wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:43 pm
Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:12 pm Mary Earps is odds on favourite to win BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Me neither
You often get random winners when there's no obvious choice, eg Zara Phillips, Ryan Giggs

There's plenty of English players in the Man City treble winners squad that are more deserving! I'm assuming that City, Pep and Haaland will win the team, coach and overseas awards respectively.
Very rare for a footballer to win based on their club achievements. Deserving or not, no chance any of them winning.

Didn’t she win the golden glove at the WC ? I’m trying to think who else is a contender. Without an Olympics it sort of rules out a few sports…..Boxing is a shambles. Maybe Ben Stokes.Tennis and rugby nothing.

She did and she is the best of the best in field. Kyle Walker is the best if the best in what he does and won the treble this season so is he worth a shout?

JudgeTedd

Re: Re: Bird’s World Cup, Euros & WSL

Post by JudgeTedd »

The BBC really need to change the name from Personality. Most of these sports star have the personality of a wet lettuce.
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Clivert wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:54 pm There's plenty of English players in the Man City treble winners squad that are more deserving! I'm assuming that City, Pep and Haaland will win the team, coach and overseas awards respectively.
Wonder if they’ll do an acceptance speech where they thank their families, God and everyone who turned a blind eye.
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

Clivert

Post by Clivert »

Sadact7 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:18 pm
Clivert wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:54 pm There's plenty of English players in the Man City treble winners squad that are more deserving! I'm assuming that City, Pep and Haaland will win the team, coach and overseas awards respectively.
Wonder if they’ll do an acceptance speech where they thank their families, God and everyone who turned a blind eye.

They could also chuck another shit load of cash at the project just like United do.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Clivert wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:21 pm
Sadact7 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:18 pm

They could also chuck another shit load of cash at the project just like United do.
I’m sure they will.

Just in browner envelopes.
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Foghorn Aherne was talking about the WSL unsurprisingly this morning.

Talking about the 43k at OT, she said some people would ask why should they have more games at OT if they can't sell out Leigh Sports Village. Her answer was that people wanted to go to see OT. Whilst probably true, it's not really the best business model.

Speaking of business models, she was moaning that West Ham women don't have any games at the London Stadium and said where they play was crap.
She should remember when Lady Brady was on and said all womens teams have to be subsidised and none make a profit.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

Carlos J wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:09 am Foghorn Aherne was talking about the WSL unsurprisingly this morning.

Talking about the 43k at OT, she said some people would ask why should they have more games at OT if they can't sell out Leigh Sports Village. Her answer was that people wanted to go to see OT. Whilst probably true, it's not really the best business model.

Speaking of business models, she was moaning that West Ham women don't have any games at the London Stadium and said where they play was crap.
She should remember when Lady Brady was on and said all womens teams have to be subsidised and none make a profit.
Foggy seems to think that just because it’s played in a big stadium that automatically means a big crowd. Arsenal Women only play their biggest games at the Emirates. The rest are played at Borehamwood’s ground.
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

JudgeTedd wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:04 pm
Carlos J wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:09 am Foghorn Aherne was talking about the WSL unsurprisingly this morning.

Foggy seems to think that just because it’s played in a big stadium that automatically means a big crowd. Arsenal Women only play their biggest games at the Emirates. The rest are played at Borehamwood’s ground.
Yep, and it's not really practical to play all their games at the big stadiums as groundsmen and managers will be moaning about the state of the pitch.

Also, a family day out at the Emirates or OT may be a nice trip in August, but not really a fun day in January if you are fair-weather fan.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Why aren't these women at home making Sunday dinner?
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Good point, well made, Higgins.

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:30 pm Why aren't these women at home making Sunday dinner?
It’s Monday

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Clivert wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:08 pm
Jonathan wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:43 pm

Me neither

She did and she is the best of the best in field. Kyle Walker is the best if the best in what he does and won the treble this season so is he worth a shout?
I was thinking Stones, Grealish and completely forgot about Walker. Yeah he’s the best around alright and would be worth a top six place.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Wonder if the fix is in for tomorrow: https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... lification

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Scotland worse than a pub team. 4-0 down at half time.