Re: Bird’s World Cup, Euros & WSL

Anything sportlike
JW90

Re: Re: Bird’s World Cup, Euros & WSL

Post by JW90 »

Carlos J wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:38 pm Nice big crowd at Brisbane Road for Spurs v Liverpool on BBC2. Of the three stands visible, less than a 100. The masses must all be in the stand where the camera is. :roll:
Plenty of talk about this league growing and living it's own life but cannot see it. Not for a long time, in any case.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

Was at the Bridge today, with daughter and a couple of friends...a nice win against Liverpool, Lauren James unplayable, but disappointed with the crowd, possibly less than the first game of the season against Spurs...todays game was £25 adult, £12:50 under 18. Atmosphere was really good, still feel they need to get the price right..from being too cheap in the past, to now not worthy of £25 for an adult.

JW90

Post by JW90 »

If the game wants more income, revenue, support etc then that money needs to come from somewhere and unfortunately the fans will have to pay.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

chelseachelsea wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:35 pm Was at the Bridge today, with daughter and a couple of friends...a nice win against Liverpool, Lauren James unplayable, but disappointed with the crowd, possibly less than the first game of the season against Spurs...todays game was £25 adult, £12:50 under 18. Atmosphere was really good, still feel they need to get the price right..from being too cheap in the past, to now not worthy of £25 for an adult.
Saw it on the telly and thought it looked a good crowd. Then at half time you saw shots of the presenters and realised the upper tiers were out of use.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

JW90 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:41 pm If the game wants more income, revenue, support etc then that money needs to come from somewhere and unfortunately the fans will have to pay.
It will be no different to the men’s game in that it has to come from increased TV revenue.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Jonathan wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:30 pm
JW90 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:41 pm If the game wants more income, revenue, support etc then that money needs to come from somewhere and unfortunately the fans will have to pay.
It will be no different to the men’s game in that it has to come from increased TV revenue.
But is the audience there for WSL? And TV does not like empty grounds with a couple of thousand there.

JW90

Post by JW90 »

You will need full, atmospheric grounds for that, though. And a few hundred at Walsall or Button won't deliver.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

I think it was 12,500ish at the Bridge yesterday, down 2000 on the Spurs game, not great but a positive being 3 times more fans saw the game than if played at Kingsmeadow.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

Carlos J wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:57 am
chelseachelsea wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:35 pm Was at the Bridge today, with daughter and a couple of friends...a nice win against Liverpool, Lauren James unplayable, but disappointed with the crowd, possibly less than the first game of the season against Spurs...todays game was £25 adult, £12:50 under 18. Atmosphere was really good, still feel they need to get the price right..from being too cheap in the past, to now not worthy of £25 for an adult.
Saw it on the telly and thought it looked a good crowd. Then at half time you saw shots of the presenters and realised the upper tiers were out of use.
Yep and most of the 2nd tiers were half empty, just the lower tiers full.

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

Mary Earps is odds on favourite to win BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Me neither
There's no poem, just prose.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:12 pm Mary Earps is odds on favourite to win BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Me neither
You often get random winners when there's no obvious choice, eg Zara Phillips, Ryan Giggs
WOKE AND PROUD

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

Just tried to work out the maths, and it looks like Chelsea made more money with the higher prices/lower crowds this season that last, on the crowd alone.
For arguments sake lets just believe that each crowd at a WSL match is half adult half child, as was my group yesterday 2 adults and 2 under 16's.
Yesterday 12,500 = £234,375 A full stadium of 40,000 at last years prices = £220,000.

But the extra 25,000+ would have generated a lot more in other sales, megastore, programmes, food drink etc etc, definitely Chelsea need to find a middle ground on pricing, Obviously I was super happy spending maybe £15 per game with my daughter for the last 2 seasons, but this weekend cost me £75 and as much as I like watching Chelsea Women instead of going to 10/15 games a season with my daughter, it will be substantially less.
Possibly only the
final games of the season, Emma Hayes last game , Cup Finals etc

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Interesting cc, but as you say, more people in at cheaper prices will spend money elsewhere as well in the stadium.

43k at Old Trafford for the Manc derby. Tickets from £15 for adults, £7.50 concessions.

Clivert

Post by Clivert »

subsub wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:13 pm
Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:12 pm Mary Earps is odds on favourite to win BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Me neither
You often get random winners when there's no obvious choice, eg Zara Phillips, Ryan Giggs

There's plenty of English players in the Man City treble winners squad that are more deserving! I'm assuming that City, Pep and Haaland will win the team, coach and overseas awards respectively.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

JW90 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:01 pm
You will need full, atmospheric grounds for that, though. And a few hundred at Walsall or Button won't deliver.
Don’t think you do at all. Contract is up after this season and it’s already expected to increase with more competition. Whether we like it or not, media companies are all over women’s sport.