Confederations Cup 2017

Anything sportlike
kancutlawns

Re: Confederations Cup 2017

Post by kancutlawns »

Utter car crash refereeing at the Germany vs Cameroon match. I blame the video system, fifty fifty ball and a harsh sending off. Now 2-0 against a piss poor Cameroon side. This reserve team Germany side which has only Can and Draxler as recognisable names in the UK would piss all over England.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

kancutlawns wrote:Utter car crash refereeing at the Germany vs Cameroon match. I blame the video system, fifty fifty ball and a harsh sending off. Now 2-0 against a piss poor Cameroon side. This reserve team Germany side which has only Can and Draxler as recognisable names in the UK would piss all over England.

Agree, KCL.

The tackle was one of those where both have their leg up. If one got clipped (as happened), might some even have defined it as careless and therefore only a foul (no card)?

There would / could be an argument for a reckless definition and therefore a Yellow card.

But I'm not sure there was enough momentum from either going into the tackle to make it one of 'excessive force' and therefore, a Red Card.

I think the VAR could work if they speed it up and get the communication issues (with players and crowd and TV audience sorted).

I know it's old school but I wish they could get on with it and trust the refs. Thing is, the enhancements in TV coverage have shown that many decisions which before would have been made, accepted and then forgotten about, have been questionable at best and wrong, at worst.

In cricket, in a few years, I can imagine them umpiring the whole thing from off the field and not sure that it's right.

The Germans were pretty impressive. They've got all these players ticking along in their Bundesliga sides just off the top but developing superbly - Werner, Brandt, Skindl, Rudy plus others etc etc.

I'm not sure about Chan as he often seems to slow down the play as opposed to speeding it up. Mind you, they all do that these days to one extent or another with all the passing backwards to go forwards stuff.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Not keen on the VAR system. Maybe through time it will be better, quicker and more user-friendly, but it hasn't been used well in this tournament and unless there is a significant advance in it before the WC next year, I'd ditch it. Yes, refs make some terrible decisions but this system has shown they can make even more baffling decisions after reviewing it.

Germany are strolling throughout this tournament and a good move to take a long a pretty young and inexperienced side. Chile were very good against Germany, but pretty poor yesterday. Australia and NZ to an extent, have done well too; both have pretty weak squads but certainly dug in and whilst the Portugal game for the All Whites was probably a match too far, they certainly were unlucky against the Mexican B side.

It works, but Portugal are dull to watch. He is a magnificent player and can and does indeed turn games for them, but Ronaldo gets far too much respect from his team mates and coach. Every free kick has gone sailing over the bar or been a poor effort, but it's highly unlikely its going to change, as he does score vital goals.

As for Russia, something is missing. They aren't that bad and pretty good technically, but lacking up top. Smolov hasn't impressed me much at all, and Akinfeev looks pretty ropey these days. The big defender with the Georgian surname looks fairly decent though, and I believe a few players are injured, so they might surprise a few next year; although that doesn't look likely going by their performances.

End-o, what's the Russian attitude towards this tournament and the WC next year? I seen your post saying no one was really giving a shit about the game - in a pub you were in - and most Russians don't seem that fussed about their side, but the actual hosting of the tournament? Are most folk excited or don't give a hoot?
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

The End

Post by The End »

kevin04 wrote:End-o, what's the Russian attitude towards this tournament and the WC next year? I seen your post saying no one was really giving a shit about the game - in a pub you were in - and most Russians don't seem that fussed about their side, but the actual hosting of the tournament? Are most folk excited or don't give a hoot?

The organisers have done a good job - my local area is festooned with Confed Cup livery etc - and the games themselves have been well supported with good atmospheres, but after that, it hasn't penetrated the interest of most people. This is more a long-standing lack of interest in football within Russia as a whole - you see far more Spanish/English football shirts than Russian club sides being worn by kids/young adults. Russia is an ice hockey country - SKA (local side) are the national champions and you see people wearing SKA hats and jackets much more frequently than Zenit stuff.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

What's the point of the VAR if they can't spot a blatant penalty like that?
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Forgot Chile vs Portugal was on. Who should have got or not got the penalty, BB?

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

kancutlawns wrote:Forgot Chile vs Portugal was on. Who should have got or not got the penalty, BB?

Chile should have had a penalty.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Could be karma then. Two penalties saved by Bravo.
Last edited by kancutlawns on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

Bravo :o

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

Fucking hell.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

LOL @Nani. 3-0 to Chile on penalties. First penalty that was saved wasn't that bad but the next two were terrible, especially the last one.

The End

Post by The End »

Nani didn't look like he wanted to reach the ball. It was no Zaza (still the daftest run-up ever) but it was still atrocious.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

Hopefully, someone will come in and buy Bravo on the back of that.

Nani though :mrgreen:

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Lee Dixon's fake spleaps.
You can only live in the world you know.The rest is just wishful thinking or paranoia.

"We shall not go to Canossa!"

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

No trophy for dear Ronnie this time.....ho ho ho!
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.