Running Marathons

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
kancutlawns

Running Marathons

Post by kancutlawns »

Steve's run a few probably. Marathons seem a big thing these days. A couple of close relatives ran the London Marathon yesterday but you couldn't get me to do one for all the tea in China.

What are the true physical and psychological effects after running one? Don't get me wrong, it's clearly a remarkable feat to run one but what about the detrimental effect to the cardiovascular system with a significant level of blood diverting away from vital organs, the production of sodium, the gastro-urinary system, the skeletal system? We don't really hear any of this considering what an extreme activity this is. Does this not take you to hell and back?

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Re: Running Marathons

Post by Steve Hunt »

I have run seven marathons, Lawnsy.

As long as you build up your training before doing one, you normally feel fine afterwards. Tired, obviously. And your body stiffens up whilst you are asleep after doing one. But other than that, I always felt great. I used to walk across Trafalgar Square, along the Strand and have a few pints with friends in The Coal Hole after each London Marathon. I wasn't the only one. The place was packed with runners.

Long term, I fucked up my achilles. But that was entirely my fault as I continued to train when injured, taking pain killers. I was an idiot who should have rested up.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

kancutlawns wrote:. Does this not take you to hell and back?

I only hit "The Wall" once - when I was running through Docklands.

Tbf, that was sheer hell. I had gone off too hard, hoping to do a sub 2.45 time. It caught up with me, big time.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Steve Hunt wrote: I only hit "The Wall" once - when I was running through Docklands.

Ah hit ah wall wance in docklands..sivn twen sivn
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

James Cracknell ran 2.43.12 yesterday.

For a bloke of his build and size, that is a phenomenal time.

finchman

Post by finchman »

Im six foot one, thirteen and a half stone and a sexual athlete, I wouldnt run a London marathon for a gold pig.Running is fucking mind numbing. Id sooner spend 3 hours shagging than running round some London shithole.
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

dagbladet

Post by dagbladet »

When i was about 45 my daughter asked if I'd do the great south run with her. Turns out she was in a kids mile and a half race and i was doing 10 miles. Notwithstanding 20 fags a day and a very considerable commitment to the turnover of John Smith's of tadcaster i managed to finish without stopping or walking, though i was passed in the latter stages by a Womble (of Wimbledon common), a milk bottle and two of them rhinos that probably weigh about 3 bastard tons.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

kancutlawns wrote:Steve's run a few probably. Marathons seem a big thing these days. A couple of close relatives ran the London Marathon yesterday but you couldn't get me to do one for all the tea in China.

What are the true physical and psychological effects after running one? Don't get me wrong, it's clearly a remarkable feat to run one but what about the detrimental effect to the cardiovascular system with a significant level of blood diverting away from vital organs, the production of sodium, the gastro-urinary system, the skeletal system? We don't really hear any of this considering what an extreme activity this is. Does this not take you to hell and back?

Get a sports bra girlfriend
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:
kancutlawns wrote:Steve's run a few probably. Marathons seem a big thing these days. A couple of close relatives ran the London Marathon yesterday but you couldn't get me to do one for all the tea in China.

Put a plastic bag over your head shithead.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Never done one, and longest I've ran was 19 miles, although I do run 3 or 4 times a week usually between 4-8 miles. Really need to do a competitive race, not sure about a marathon but 10k or a half even.

Are you a runner, Lawnsaidh?
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Not really, kev. Short bursts and interval training is about as much as I do. Ankle and heel flare up if I do too much.

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

kancutlawns wrote:
The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:

Put a plastic bag over your head shithead.

Put a plastic bag over your sports bra and wear it on your head, Girlfriend

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

finchman wrote:Im six foot one, thirteen and a half stone and a sexual athlete, I wouldnt run a London marathon for a gold pig.Running is fucking mind numbing. Id sooner spend 3 hours shagging than running round some London shithole.

What do you like shagging?

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

kancutlawns wrote:
finchman wrote:Im six foot one, thirteen and a half stone and a sexual athlete, I wouldnt run a London marathon for a gold pig.Running is fucking mind numbing. Id sooner spend 3 hours shagging than running round some London shithole.

What do you like shagging?

Pies

EddieCheddar

Post by EddieCheddar »

Done a lot of half marathons and 10k 'sprints' but am still wigged out at the prospect of the full distance. I could do one as I run pretty much every day (12-15k) but nivver at my half pace and that's my worry- going off too fast and not finishing strong. Mrs C would testify to this....