County cricket season 2017

Anything sportlike
Salem

Re: County cricket season 2017

Post by Salem »

Great to see the Pears promoted as champions of the second division .

Traditionally we are a yo-yo team but it's still heartening that 10 of the 11 that started the final game on Monday are products of the academy .

A big mention to former skipper Daryl Mitchell who didn't sulk after losing the captaincy but scoring 7 centuries and finishing the second highest run scorer for Div 2 =D>

And a big fuck you to Tom Kohler Cadmore who's going to miss the promotion party because he went for the money at Yorkshire early doors :finga:

Roll on the Ashes
"There was one victim"

MAGA...........'mon the Don 24 😎

Whispering Grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know .....

tennisman

Re: County cricket season 2017

Post by tennisman »

Lou Grant wrote:I know tennisman was more of a Middlesex or Sussex man, but it's a shame he is no longer posting on here to be able to read his reflections on Essex's success.

Who said I'm no longer posting!!! :mrgreen:

After some extended log-in issues, I'm here again (thanks Geezer and Carlos for sorting everything out).

The latest post on my blog is one for fans of the County Championship.

From my Goals Aand Wickets Facebook page;

A LOOK AT CRICKET'S COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - The latest post on the Goals and Wickets website published today looks at the County Championship with the help of Stephen Chalke's excellent recent history of the competition.

Today, the competition comes to an end for 2017 and perhaps this is therefore a good time to make a few comments and observations about the Championship as cricket's focus very much looks at either side of it in the areas of Test cricket and also T20.

Stephen Chalke has written a fascinating history and the book is a must for cricket lovers, especially those like me who actually began their journey following the sport with a day at a county game.

The County Championship has a long and rich history and from the late Victorian age, until the early 1960's was the only form of domestic cricket. Chalke's book is full of the type of marvellous anecdotes which make his books so special. There are enough statistics and records to complement the story of the competition but not too many.

After describing what is in the book, I finish the post by looking at a few key areas of the County Championship and for me, if the competition is to survive, let alone flourish, a few adjustments might be made, especially in how the fixtures are scheduled and the matches reported.
I think these areas are all a bit of a mess. How many of you knew that the competition was finishing today?

So the post is part book review and part recommendation for the future, a sort of strategy review but hopefully without too many business cliches.

As always, thanks for any views and all comments are appreciated, either in the comments section below the post on the website or below this post.

The views are my own but I'd be keen to hear what other people think;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/cricke ... t-history/