County cricket season 2017

Anything sportlike
finchman

Re: County cricket season 2017

Post by finchman »

You lot make me laugh with your 'pretend' support of county cricket.
Be honest,how many of you cunts have paid money to sit and watch this county shit in the last two years?

Its bollocks,just a class thing,you think you will impress your boss if you talk 'cricket", its shit. I work with one,he chats shit about Lancashire this and Lancashire that and when i nailed him down he admitted he had only been to old trafford once when he was eight in 1979.
Attendances at county cricket are an embarrasment,its on a spectator level of sunday morning gymkhana ffs.

So cut the pseudo interest lads,and admit nobody gives a fuck.
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

I had membership at Essex for over ten years. Used to go to every home match and away to the games in London. If you read the thread properly you will have seen discussions of specific matches in this very thread. I listen to the excellent 5live/local BBC radio coverage of the county game - I could name you two dozen of the many commentators on that service if it would help you out.

I've watched county games at Chelmsford, Southend, Ilford, Colchester, Lords, The Oval, Hove, Edgbaston, Gloucester, Bristol, Cheltenham, Bath, Taunton, Southampton and Old Trafford.

I don't think there's any kudos to be had in 'pretending' to like county cricket. Jesus.

If you're not interested in why Ten Doeschate makes a better captain than Ravi Bopara at Essex that is fine. If the Roses match this weekend doesn't excite you, no problem. There are about a 100 other current threads on this board you could go read instead.
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

finchman

Post by finchman »

Typical county cricket fan, doesn't go but listens on the wireless.
You made my point perfectly
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

What is your point? This is a thread about the county cricket season - people with an interest in it are posting in here. If you have no interest then just bugger off elsewhere, it's not hard.

As for impressing my boss, yes I regularly impress myself with my interest in cricket. :D

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

Average attendance for a Yorkshire county championship match is 8,476 (2015 figures). Now you look at it, that is quite poor. Probably about the same as Wigan get per game. :)

finchman

Post by finchman »

What is your point?

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

Either county cricket attendances ain't so bad, or people of Wigan prefer rugby?

JW90

Post by JW90 »

finchman wrote:You lot make me laugh with your 'pretend' support of county cricket.
Be honest,how many of you cunts have paid money to sit and watch this county shit in the last two years?

Its bollocks,just a class thing,you think you will impress your boss if you talk 'cricket", its shit. I work with one,he chats shit about Lancashire this and Lancashire that and when i nailed him down he admitted he had only been to old trafford once when he was eight in 1979.
Attendances at county cricket are an embarrasment,its on a spectator level of sunday morning gymkhana ffs.

So cut the pseudo interest lads,and admit nobody gives a fuck.

I've been attending county games for 20 years so two decades of pretending for me. I know it's the trendy thing at the moment to discuss second division four day cricket so I can see how we appear to be hipsters jumping on a bandwagon.

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

JW90 wrote:I know it's the trendy thing at the moment to discuss second division four day cricket so I can see how we appear to be hipsters jumping on a bandwagon.

:D

It's a six hour journey (there and back) to my nearest county ground, Taunton. That probably explains why I listen to a lot of county cricket on the radio these days. Yes, I had a membership for around 10 years at Essex, that doesn't mean I suddenly stopped going after that. When living in Bristol, I would watch Gloucester, Somerset and Glamorgan because all three were within easy visiting distance.

I will be at the Rose Bowl later this summer, although I mourn the day they moved from the wonderful ground in the heart of Southampton. It's also looking likely that I'll be in Scarborough for the festival this year.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Lou Grant wrote:Alistair Cook could still make 1000 runs before the end of May. Over 800 already, still rest of this game and another next week to go. Of course it won't be all first class runs like in the good old days, but would still be a pretty decent achievement if he made it.

Safe to say he still has a huge appetite for the game since giving up the England captaincy.

when I were a young lad reading cricket scores, a 1000 runs in May was a big thing. Surpised you didn't mention Hants. going from 18/0 to 18/5. :shock:

As per, used to go to Trent Bridge lots and wish I was near a county ground. Going to my first T20 and first time to Chelmsford in July.

And would like to go to the Scarborough Festival some time.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

Carlos J wrote:
Lou Grant wrote:Alistair Cook could still make 1000 runs before the end of May. Over 800 already, still rest of this game and another next week to go. Of course it won't be all first class runs like in the good old days, but would still be a pretty decent achievement if he made it.

Safe to say he still has a huge appetite for the game since giving up the England captaincy.

when I were a young lad reading cricket scores, a 1000 runs in May was a big thing. Surpised you didn't mention Hants. going from 18/0 to 18/5. :shock:

As per, used to go to Trent Bridge lots and wish I was near a county ground. Going to my first T20 and first time to Chelmsford in July.

And would like to go to the Scarborough Festival some time.

Did you see this, Carlos?

http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/cricke ... -festival/

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Yes, I've read that before, TM, and maybe that was wanted me to go, though to a new, now version. :)
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

I'm hoping to make Scarborough. I'll be there tomorrow, but not for cricketing reasons.

Essex storming all forms of cricket this season. Hope they don't fold when Cook disappears to England in the 2nd half of the season.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

Carlos J wrote:Yes, I've read that before, TM, and maybe that was wanted me to go, though to a new, now version. :)

Indeed, Carlos.

I think they've changed it even since 2007/08.

It's hardly a festival anymore.

But it's still a wonderful ground to watch cricket.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

With the IPL over, now we are being treated to the full court press of plugs and promotion for TS coverage of the Champions Trophy.

Meanwhile today, there are 6 County Championship matches on, including a Division 1 top of the table clash between Essex and Surrey and so far in the 5 hours, I've had the radio on, there hasn't been one mention of them.

Based on TS's coverage of domestic cricket, that's not a surprise but just re-emphasises the rather strange cherry pick strategy of the way a National Sports station purports to cover cricket with massive overblown hype for some competitions and nothing on others.