County cricket season 2017

Anything sportlike
tennisman

Re: County cricket season 2017

Post by tennisman »

Again, excuse the shameless plug but all the posts on my blog are chocker full of stuff from the 60's, 70's and 80's either in the posts about specific memorabilia or in the 'Other Topics' column.

I address the question of scheduling in various posts especially the one called Cricket's Confusing Parallel Universe;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/category/cricket/

PS That clip above on the Lancs v. Glos match is fantastic for so many reasons, including Mike Procter's batting. I was watching it live on TV with my family.

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

subsub wrote:
Lou Grant wrote:Was more a fan of the spinners - Childs and Such made a good pairing. We were blessed with some wonderful overseas players. Mark Waugh was a joy to watch. As was Salim Malik (before his downfall).

John Lever and Neil Foster were the only genuine class bowlers, I'd say our other seamers weren't top draw but did a good job as county pros. And with Gooch opening, pretty much any target we were set to chase was achievable.

I used to go and watch Essex loads in the 1980s, too.
I think Allan Border was even better than Waugh and Malik. Class. And made fielding look ridiculously easy.

I used to sit in the Tom Pearce stand, Lou - how about you?

Border was great, but come on, Mark Waugh was one of the most stylish batsmen out there. Also a brilliant slip fielder. His innings against Mushtaq Ahmed on a spinning pitch at Southend was the best contest I saw between bat and ball.

We were at the other end at Chelmsford, right behind the bowlers arm and within easy access of The Partners pub for lunchtime refreshment. I remember one time when we estimated over half the crowd around us were asleep during a post lunch session. County cricket was great for an afternoon snooze! :mrgreen:
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

subsub

Post by subsub »

Lou Grant wrote:Border was great, but come on, Mark Waugh was one of the most stylish batsmen out there. Also a brilliant slip fielder. His innings against Mushtaq Ahmed on a spinning pitch at Southend was the best contest I saw between bat and ball.

We were at the other end at Chelmsford, right behind the bowlers arm and within easy access of The Partners pub for lunchtime refreshment. I remember one time when we estimated over half the crowd around us were asleep during a post lunch session. County cricket was great for an afternoon snooze! :mrgreen:

Waugh was ultra-stylish, yes, but I know who I'd want batting in a crisis. Border was a class apart.

Funnily enough, in later years, my dad and I switched to that end. Always sat either side of the bowler's arm.
WOKE AND PROUD

JW90

Post by JW90 »

Even early on it looks like Notts and Kent to battle for Division Two- Somerset surprisingly have started poorly, hangover from the end of last season when they came so close?

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

I'm no fan of 50 over cricket, but the Essex - Surrey game today was a real classic. Winning in the last over with the last pair at the wicket. Not big scores, not tons of 6s, just a really tight match where the balance of power shifted from one side to the other and back again throughout the day.

Essex still undefeated in all cricket this season.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

Lou Grant wrote:I'm no fan of 50 over cricket, but the Essex - Surrey game today was a real classic. Winning in the last over with the last pair at the wicket. Not big scores, not tons of 6s, just a really tight match where the balance of power shifted from one side to the other and back again throughout the day.

I've always liked it.

Why is everyone in such a friggin rush, anyway?

At least, there is time for momentum swings as it looks like there were in the Essex / Surrey match.

Of course, we're in the Twitter age with less time, apparently, than ever.

Same old lack of coverage in the mainstream media of the 50 Over cup, I'm afraid with TS banging the IPL drum non stop - who cares?

Which TS presenter will come out with the suggestion that all cricket matches should be 90 minutes? :mrgreen:

subsub

Post by subsub »

Lou Grant wrote:I'm no fan of 50 over cricket, but the Essex - Surrey game today was a real classic. Winning in the last over with the last pair at the wicket. Not big scores, not tons of 6s, just a really tight match where the balance of power shifted from one side to the other and back again throughout the day.

:smt023
WOKE AND PROUD

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

tennisman wrote:

I've always liked it.

Why is everyone in such a friggin rush, anyway?

At least, there is time for momentum swings as it looks like there were in the Essex / Surrey match.

Of course, we're in the Twitter age with less time, apparently, than ever.

Same old lack of coverage in the mainstream media of the 50 Over cup

Been on every day on the radio on the beeb - hence why I heard today's game.

A dull 50 over game is a lot to sit through though. The boring middle overs are generally quite boring. I only really like long form cricket, 3 days and above. The T20 world cup, every 2 years, is my only real concession to the limited over game.

JW90

Post by JW90 »

Warwickshire collapse from 229-3 to 260 all out and are subsequently thumped by over 100 by Leicestershire. Two wins from three, 300 scored in each game- very promising :cool:

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

Hanon-Dolby went for 37 runs in a single over today. Oops.

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

First defeat of the season - by a single run to Glamorgan. Coasting it until a fluke run out of Bopara.

Still Essex have been competitive in every game so far this season.

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

Feels like the cricket season ended a few weeks back - practically forgotten the game rumbles on with these endless 50 over games.

Meanwhile, cricket returning to proper TV?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... air-tv-ecb

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Mildly enjoyable:

Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

Alistair Cook could still make 1000 runs before the end of May. Over 800 already, still rest of this game and another next week to go. Of course it won't be all first class runs like in the good old days, but would still be a pretty decent achievement if he made it.

Safe to say he still has a huge appetite for the game since giving up the England captaincy.

JW90

Post by JW90 »

That Alastair Cook looks a fine prospect.