Holiday Thread

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
theleader82

Re: Holiday Thread

Post by theleader82 »

colinthewarriormonkey wrote:
theleader82 wrote:
colinthewarriormonkey wrote:
theleader82 wrote:I'm thinking of going abroad to for a couple of days to see a Christmas msrket and have a few beers. I read Strasbourg is meant to have a good one. If not there maybe cologne or Tallinn.
Strasbourg has an amazing cathedral.

Stay at one of the Holiday inn type places in the industrial/political part of town, there's no fucker there at the weekend so the hotel rooms are dirt cheap and the tram stops just outside.
I've been to bardonecchia in Italy past couple I years. A few people have recommended livigno though and it looks beautiful . France seems to expensive for skiing now, for me anyway. I was thinking of getting a cheap last minute deal to bansko to bulgaria if they have plenty of snow.
Livigno is high so the snow lasts well into April, plus there is plenty of skiing to keep you busy for a week (115 km of piste), and the Mottolino mountain has all sorts of ramps, jumps, trails and even a big fuckoff airbag so you can launch yourelf off a ramp and land in it. If you do it yourelf and book flights on easy jet and hire a car you can do it as cheap as you want.

France just takes the piss, the last time I went it was a small place, it was fucking shit and ridiculously expensive (a beer was a tenner) you really had to go self catering, and that's not my thing at all. I want to experience the apres ski, I want to go to bars and restaurants - I don't want to fucking cook and clean in an appartment, so I had a pretty miserable time of it.

So how is bardonecchia - not heard of it before.
It's about one hour from Turin, quite near sauze d'oulx on the border with France. It's not massive but there's enough for my mediocre ability and the ski school is good. There isn't much après ski but there are a few nice bars and the food is excellent. I went to Austria once. I'd like t go there again one day.
Man U and rangers

colinthewarriormonkey

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

I read a daily telegraph article about it, sounds promising, especially because it sounds like the place isn't crowded.

Livigno has some slopes that are wider than the M1, including a black run so even somone of my limited abilities can get down that one quite comfortably by traversing a lot.

It's about a 4 hour drive from Milan, but it's quite a nice drive, I like it. I break it up by stopping for lunch at the top of lake como and sitting outside just looking over the lake. Doing it under your own steam is definitely the way forward, we stay an extra night and come back on the Sunday meaning that we virtually have the whole ski area to ourselves on the Saturday, we made it from one end of the town to the other skiing with our then 5 year old and his older brothers, then went over to the mottolino so he could ski from the top of a mountain to the very bottom with no one in our way.

The Apres in Livigno is fabulous with more restaurants than you can shake a stick at, it is also home to Europes highest brewery and they make some great beers.

If I fance a change I'll head for bardonecchia, thanks for the tip.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Off tomorrow :)

phpBB [video]
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

Portugal in sept on a stag do, the core want to play golf for 3 days. 3 of us are going on the piss for a week

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

henrycrs wrote:Portugal in sept on a stag do, the core want to play golf for 3 days. 3 of us are going on the piss for a week
What a bunch of atrocious twats!!

Worst stag do ever :rolleyes:
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

I arrived in puglia southern Italy today. Here for 2 weeks. Never been to this part of Italy before
Man U and rangers

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Enjoy, leader. Southern Italy, never been, Mike.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

subsub

Post by subsub »

theleader82 wrote:I arrived in puglia southern Italy today. Here for 2 weeks. Never been to this part of Italy before
You'll love it.
Really good food and wine down there. Think they make most of the olive oil down there, too. Have a good'un :)
WOKE AND PROUD

Reg

Post by Reg »

Been to southern Italy a few times.

Bewdiful.

Although Naples is one of those places where, even if you have grown up in London and feel relatively streetwise, you soon realise you are like a vulnerable country bumpkin.
Roy IN!!

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Was thinking about Naples the other day. Sister's family's just gone to Italy, doing the usual, the Eternal City, Venice and Florence. They're also going to do Pompeii so have to go through Naples to get there. is it really as rough as fuck? The Cosa Nostra are finished aren't they?

EddieCheddar

Post by EddieCheddar »

kancutlawns wrote:Was thinking about Naples the other day. Sister's family's just gone to Italy, doing the usual, the Eternal City, Venice and Florence. They're also going to do Pompeii so have to go through Naples to get there. is it really as rough as fuck? The Cosa Nostra are finished aren't they?

It's rough as fuck and then some, Lawns. An ex was from Positano and two of her cousins were coppers in Naples. On the surface, decent lids. Get a few beers in them and the stories come out. Not outright corrupt but I would imagine, on the payroll to some degree. Couldn't get my head around the language of facial/ eye/ hand expressions they have. That shit with Christopher Walken in True Romance and the 'pantomime' is child's play. It's literally indecipherable when they combine the three of them. Sneaky bastards :)

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

:lol:

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Been looking at October/November -covering a lot of summer holiday shifts in July/Aug, but may well just wait until Jan/Feb and hopefully a post-Christmas blues bonus.

Thinking about the Azores - although it'll probably be freezing then.

Any o' the talkFORUM Portuguesers been there?
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Going to Lisbon in September to host a conference so will take a few days out after to have a look around.

Hong Kong to visit my old journo mate in October - bladderation will ensue.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

I'm thinking of going to Lake District possibly in October for 4 day break, either there or snowdonia again. I might give jacks rake a go ,
Might be to advanced for me. Snowdonia is probably less touristy but October shouldn't
Be too crowded in either hopefully on a
Weekday
Man U and rangers