Holiday Thread

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
lambrini

Re: Holiday Thread

Post by lambrini »

Carlos J wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:21 pm
lambrini wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:41 pm
kevin04 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:48 pm
lambrini wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:50 pm
Sid Pervcat wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:44 pm How was Venice, Lambo?
Beautiful, mate! The weather wasn't the best, but Venetian culture and gastronomy made up for it. The only downside was ignorant tourists. They're the worst; for some reason, there's always so many of them in Venice. I encountered an old American couple in the Accademia who spent all their time getting so close to the Tintorettos that they set off the security alarms before feeling "outraged!" by Veronese's The Massacre of the Innocents. "Gawd, honey, I can't look at this anymore!"
I've always enjoyed Americans but the older I get, I find them more and more exhausting.

So many of them are almost patronising in how they talk ''HOW ARE YOU TODAY, SIR?" with NOT an inch of sincerity in their voice ; or those helicopter 'Mom's' for some reason seem to talk non-stop, conversations that have absolutely nothing of substance. Maybe that's a bit harsh, but if I hear a group of them I try to avoid. Then again a lot of boozed up Brits are just as bad, the ones who are loud and making an absolute cunt of themselves. I was there in 2018 or so, and when they found you are Scottish/British/European, they kept apologising for their president, it got so boring, I end up telling them we should be apoloising to you, his mother was Scottish! :D

Some are alright though, but the ones who think America is the chosen land or ask you why you have never moved to the States are nauseating. The social justice/offended by everything are worse than the numbnut bible bashing, gun toting ones.

Overall though, I enjoy visiting there ; but no idea if I would enjoy living there. They need a wake up call too about the nick of their country as well. Parts of it are almost third world, the American dream is long gone.

The Japanese - they may well be laughing at me in Japanese - but the ones I've met have always very cordial, nice, and had some lovely wee chats. One observation about them is they seem to travel lite, guessing they go to a laundrette every 4/5 days. Not had great experiences with Chinese, was helping cleaning/running an Airbnb for an older relative, and 95% of them would leave the place is a right tip, like absolutely disgusting.

I'm maybe getting too long in the tooth, but I really can't be bothered dumbing down my accent either these days so folk can understand me. Nothing better than visiting a new city though with your backpack, and just wandering about. Italy, Spain and Portugal - places I've never been but would love to see especially Portugal!
Great post, Kev! 🥰 Happy Sunday to you.
Yep, great post, Kevin. I like Americans as well. Regarding Trump, was in NYC in November 2016 just after the election and it was fun by Trump Tower with protesters and Feds getting narky with each other.
Christopher Hitchens fell in love with the USA: The land of the free, the home of the brave. American women also surprised him. Their animus personalities put our reserved, demure English roses to shame, he said. I'm proud to be the latter, but I can see why for some men it's a turn-off.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

lambrini wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:33 pm
Carlos J wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:21 pm
lambrini wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:41 pm
kevin04 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:48 pm
lambrini wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:50 pm
Sid Pervcat wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:44 pm How was Venice, Lambo?
Beautiful, mate! The weather wasn't the best, but Venetian culture and gastronomy made up for it. The only downside was ignorant tourists. They're the worst; for some reason, there's always so many of them in Venice. I encountered an old American couple in the Accademia who spent all their time getting so close to the Tintorettos that they set off the security alarms before feeling "outraged!" by Veronese's The Massacre of the Innocents. "Gawd, honey, I can't look at this anymore!"
I've always enjoyed Americans but the older I get, I find them more and more exhausting.

So many of them are almost patronising in how they talk ''HOW ARE YOU TODAY, SIR?" with NOT an inch of sincerity in their voice ; or those helicopter 'Mom's' for some reason seem to talk non-stop, conversations that have absolutely nothing of substance. Maybe that's a bit harsh, but if I hear a group of them I try to avoid. Then again a lot of boozed up Brits are just as bad, the ones who are loud and making an absolute cunt of themselves. I was there in 2018 or so, and when they found you are Scottish/British/European, they kept apologising for their president, it got so boring, I end up telling them we should be apoloising to you, his mother was Scottish! :D

Some are alright though, but the ones who think America is the chosen land or ask you why you have never moved to the States are nauseating. The social justice/offended by everything are worse than the numbnut bible bashing, gun toting ones.

Overall though, I enjoy visiting there ; but no idea if I would enjoy living there. They need a wake up call too about the nick of their country as well. Parts of it are almost third world, the American dream is long gone.

The Japanese - they may well be laughing at me in Japanese - but the ones I've met have always very cordial, nice, and had some lovely wee chats. One observation about them is they seem to travel lite, guessing they go to a laundrette every 4/5 days. Not had great experiences with Chinese, was helping cleaning/running an Airbnb for an older relative, and 95% of them would leave the place is a right tip, like absolutely disgusting.

I'm maybe getting too long in the tooth, but I really can't be bothered dumbing down my accent either these days so folk can understand me. Nothing better than visiting a new city though with your backpack, and just wandering about. Italy, Spain and Portugal - places I've never been but would love to see especially Portugal!
Great post, Kev! 🥰 Happy Sunday to you.
Yep, great post, Kevin. I like Americans as well. Regarding Trump, was in NYC in November 2016 just after the election and it was fun by Trump Tower with protesters and Feds getting narky with each other.
Christopher Hitchens fell in love with the USA: The land of the free, the home of the brave. American women also surprised him. Their animus personalities put our reserved, demure English roses to shame, he said. I'm proud to be the latter, but I can see why for some men it's a turn-off.
You can like a bit of both, Lambrini. :)
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

People get a distorted idea of Americans by those they meet in London or in the European tourist spots.

Americans, if they are lucky, get ten days paid holiday plus public holidays. So it means, with the exception of perhaps Mexico, most of them haven't had time outside the US. I recall someone saying less than 50% have a passport and it's quite possible that some of us have seen more of their country than they have.

So they arrive here maybe late 60s/early 70s, with no experience of other cultures, food, and all the rest. They have waited and saved for maybe 20 years for the trip and they want to record it. So it's no wonder we find them crass.

But if you spend substantial time in the US you find there is much more to them.

And yes I have had them apologise to me about Trump. One said it was like one of those disaster movies where an astronaut is headed for earth until Bruce Willis blows it up. They could see it and kept waiting for its demise.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

Trump in a Holiday thread. :lol:

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:11 pm
So they arrive here maybe late 60s/early 70s, with no experience of other cultures, food, and all the rest. They have waited and saved for maybe 20 years for the trip and they want to record it. So it's no wonder we find them crass.
Speak for yourself.

Always amuses me when Brits like to denigrate Americans as rude. But I can’t say I’ve met any of them who are as obnoxious and pig ignorant as the average Brit abroad. We’re a nation of small town knobheads.
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Sadact7 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:14 pm
Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:11 pm
Speak for yourself.

Always amuses me when Brits like to denigrate Americans as rude. But I can’t say I’ve met any of them who are as obnoxious and pig ignorant as the average Brit abroad. We’re a nation of small town knobheads.
The Americans I encountered in Venice, most of whom were aged 50-plus, were obnoxious. However, perhaps my assessment is a poor one. It's just a matter of cultural differences. Despite being worldy-wise I am very English in my ways (old fashionably so sometimes), so, of course, I'll find Americans annoying. Lol.
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

chelseachelsea wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:35 pm Trump in a Holiday thread. :lol:
:lol:

"DONALD TRUUUUUUUUUUUMP!"
► Show Spoiler

( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:11 pm People get a distorted idea of Americans by those they meet in London or in the European tourist spots.

Americans, if they are lucky, get ten days paid holiday plus public holidays.
In the US you can take out a PTO (paid time off) plan to compensate for lack of entitlement, which most employers honour, so the reality is, most US workers are as equally well compensated in terms of leave as we are in the UK..They can also take up to 12 weeks unpaid leave in certain sectors.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Sid Pervcat wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:46 pm
Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:11 pm People get a distorted idea of Americans by those they meet in London or in the European tourist spots.

Americans, if they are lucky, get ten days paid holiday plus public holidays.
In the US you can take out a PTO (paid time off) plan to compensate for lack of entitlement, which most employers honour, so the reality is, most US workers are as equally well compensated in terms of leave as we are in the UK..They can also take up to 12 weeks unpaid leave in certain sectors.
Trust a Scouser to know how to get away with doing a fucking day’s work :roll:
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

🥱🥱

paolo

Post by paolo »

beautiful!!

I just drove almost 7k km around usa....much love for trump

if that wasn't the case, why is everything being thrown at the great man to prevent him running?
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Stop The Planned War On Iraq & Iran

End The WEF, World Bank & Other Corrupt Scumbags

Supporting African Indepedence

End The Tyranny Of The Dollar

Supporting Texas

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

paolo wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:10 pm
beautiful!!

if that wasn't the case, why is everything being thrown at the great man to prevent him running?
Trump is brilliant. We need him.
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

beautiful!!

Honestly, haha I'm up for him getting back in. The bants he brings is well worth it. :D
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

kevin04 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:27 pm
beautiful!!

Honestly, haha I'm up for him getting back in. The bants he brings is well worth it. :D
Definitely! Bring back the Trump!

( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break