Post Brexit - part 21

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Zambo

Re: Post Brexit - part 21

Post by Zambo »

Which part of 'doesn't understand the rules' are you struggling with? :rolleyes:
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Zambo wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:51 pm Which part of 'doesn't understand the rules' are you struggling with? :rolleyes:
Which part of "If not for the brexit withdrawal, there'd be no misunderstanding" are you struggling with? :rolleyes:

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Just another Guardian clickbait anti Brexit article to trigger it's gullible readers. And it works every time.

Is he or is he not entitled to healthcare?

'The Withdrawal Agreement protects the rights of UK nationals and their family members who live in EU countries'

Sounds pretty straightforward to me.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

I spent this morning in the company of someone living here now after 11 years in Spain.

When she and her husband realised what a disaster for them Brexit was, on top of the pension payments ( made in sterling) dropping in value by 10% because of the way the pound collapsed.

They still have many friends there who simply can't sell up and universally regretting the Leave vote they made

birdie

Post by birdie »

Zambo wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:45 pm A British man settled in Italy who has a rare cancer has been unable to receive the free healthcare he is entitled to because local officials do not understand the Brexit withdrawal agreement.

Next.
I may have missed it but I didn't see where in Italy this chap lives.
The term 'local' is very loose, it implies, at least to me, that this chap lives in a community with few British people entitled to medical treatment post Brexit
otherwise they would be aware of the regulations as I doubt any Brits there would just sit back and say nothing.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

birdie

Post by birdie »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:47 pm I spent this morning in the company of someone living here now after 11 years in Spain.

When she and her husband realised what a disaster for them Brexit was, on top of the pension payments ( made in sterling) dropping in value by 10% because of the way the pound collapsed.

They still have many friends there who simply can't sell up and universally regretting the Leave vote they made
I find that statement rather perplexing. why would someone move from Britain, a member of the EU, to another country, also a member of the EU, enjoy the benefits of being a foreigner in that EU country, and then vote for Britain to leave the EU.
Didn't they realise there would be changes. or did they think they would carry on just as before.

As for not being able to sell and move back to Blighty, as I understand it many Britons living in Spain live in retirement village complexes with Shops selling mainly English goods and the odd village pub or two.
I don't reckon many Spaniards would want to buy a property, even at knock down prices, in a retirement village with a whole bunch of elderly sun scorched Brits and no on in their right mind would want to move to Spain now.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Zambo wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:26 pm Just another Guardian clickbait anti Brexit article to trigger it's gullible readers. And it works every time.

Is he or is he not entitled to healthcare?

'The Withdrawal Agreement protects the rights of UK nationals and their family members who live in EU countries'

Sounds pretty straightforward to me.
It's a fact based article which highlights a real and painful consequence of brexit.

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

birdie wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:14 pm
Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:47 pm I spent this morning in the company of someone living here now after 11 years in Spain.

I find that statement rather perplexing. why would someone move from Britain, a member of the EU, to another country, also a member of the EU, enjoy the benefits of being a foreigner in that EU country, and then vote for Britain to leave the EU.
Didn't they realise there would be changes. or did they think they would carry on just as before.

As for not being able to sell and move back to Blighty, as I understand it many Britons living in Spain live in retirement village complexes with Shops selling mainly English goods and the odd village pub or two.
I don't reckon many Spaniards would want to buy a property, even at knock down prices, in a retirement village with a whole bunch of elderly sun scorched Brits and no on in their right mind would want to move to Spain now.
It beats me too why they would vote Leave but they did
My ex-wife still lives there and has taken full residency. They weren't prepared to do that.
But then I'm still unsure as to why anyone here, never mind there, voted for it.
As for the village stuff, no neither my ex-wife nor this lady today lived in such a place.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Trouble in paradise...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/art ... ourt-rules

Rwanda deportation law should not apply in Northern Ireland, court rules
UK government considers appeal after judge says act undermines post-Brexit human rights protections guaranteed in the region

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:50 pm

My ex-wife still lives there and has taken full residency. They weren't prepared to do that.
But then I'm still unsure as to why anyone here, never mind there, voted for it.
As for the village stuff, no neither my ex-wife nor this lady today lived in such a place.
You've got to be very very dumb to vote Brexit whilst living in an EU country.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Vespa wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:00 pm
Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:50 pm

You've got to be very very dumb to vote Brexit whilst living in an EU country.
Indeed. It's almost as if they didn't have a clue what they were voting for :rolleyes:
WOKE AND PROUD

Salem

Post by Salem »

subsub wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:45 pm
Vespa wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:00 pm You've got to be very very dumb to vote Brexit whilst living in an EU country.
Indeed. It's almost as if they didn't have a clue what they were voting for :rolleyes:
So , let me get this straight .

Anyone who voted for Brexit is dumb ?
"There was one victim"

MAGA...........'mon the Don 24 😎

Whispering Grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know .....

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Salem wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:10 pm
Vespa wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:00 pm You've got to be very very dumb to vote Brexit whilst living in an EU country.

I didn't say that. I said if you were living in a country based on your membership of the EU you have to be very very dumb to vote to leave the EU.

Salem

Post by Salem »

Vespa wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:17 pm

I didn't say that. I said if you were living in a country based on your membership of the EU you have to be very very dumb to vote to leave the EU.
Yes you did . After all , we WERE living in a country based on a membership of the EU and we voted not to be members anymore . Ergo as we voted to leave , by your logic , we must be dumb

To be fair , my question was aimed more on Mr Pile-on himself , as he inferred his usual tripe of not knowing what we voted for .
"There was one victim"

MAGA...........'mon the Don 24 😎

Whispering Grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know .....

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Salem wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:25 pm
Vespa wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:17 pm

Yes you did . After all , we WERE living in a country based on a membership of the EU and we voted not to be members anymore . Ergo as we voted to leave , by your logic , we must be dumb

To be fair , my question was aimed more on Mr Pile-on himself , as he inferred his usual tripe of not knowing what we voted for .
If that's how you want to read it feel free. I'll add you to my block list.