Any Labour voters on here?

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Vespa

Re: Any Labour voters on here?

Post by Vespa »

The Tick wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:54 pm The problem for keir starmer is his attempt to be all things to all people. On one hand, making overtures to the progressive metropolitan elite with his take on the cervix debate, yet remaining quiet on brexit in order to appease the gammons.

He has the air of a risk assessment consultant who goes around telling businesses to streamline everything and anything.
The problem with Keir Starmer is he doesn't have one of these.

Labour are getting there, they also need a much more aggressive leader in terms of being punchy. Rayner's attack on Johnson is a good example.

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

They don't understand the basics of human biology.

There's no poem, just prose.

Salem

Post by Salem »

Vespa wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:00 pm Labour are getting there, they also need a much more aggressive leader in terms of being punchy. Rayner's attack on Johnson is a good example.
I'd beg to differ there , Vespa .

Anyone who has seen the shit fest of the conference suggests , to me anyhoo , that Labour are not addressing the policies that would bring back the votes of the people who abandoned them in their droves at the last election .
"There was one victim"

MAGA...........'mon the Don 24 😎

Whispering Grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know .....

subsub

Post by subsub »

Salem wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:47 am
Vespa wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:00 pm Labour are getting there, they also need a much more aggressive leader in terms of being punchy. Rayner's attack on Johnson is a good example.

Anyone who has seen the shit fest of the conference suggests , to me anyhoo , that Labour are not addressing the policies that would bring back the votes of the people who abandoned them in their droves at the last election .
Yep, and until they get their act together, the Conservatives have a free pass to Downing Street.
WOKE AND PROUD

Salem

Post by Salem »

subsub wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:28 am

Yep, and until they get their act together, the Conservatives have a free pass to Downing Street.
Which , as a Tory , should be a good thing . But i understand that the country needs a strong opposition to hold them to account . At the moment all we have is Labour tearing itself apart .The shadow of Corbyn/Momentum will be the end of the Labour party as we know it
"There was one victim"

MAGA...........'mon the Don 24 😎

Whispering Grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know .....

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Personally, I see arguments at a party conference as a sign of a healthy political movement. The Tory one will be stage-managed and at the end of it, you'll not have any idea what they are up to. Johnson has effectively cut out his on Parliamentary political party and avoid commons votes at any opportunity to pass new laws by statutory instrument.

Rachel Reeves put forward a very good policy agenda around tax and workers rights - after the conference you'll see they simplify their messaging.

Starmer doesn't need to be seen as an alternative to government, he just needs to be better than Johnson which isn't hard. Labour isn't going to turn over an 80 seat majority in one go.

I'm in the Green Party, if you want to see a bonker conference come to that one.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Starmer being all blokey in his speech at the Labour conference. Yuk!

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

kancutlawns wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:09 pm Starmer being all blokey in his speech at the Labour conference. Yuk!
Has he used a mupppet's analogy no one understood yet?

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

So we end up with two biggest political parties in the UK being a populist right wing one, and a centrist one with undefined values.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

The Tick wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:20 pm So we end up with two biggest political parties in the UK being a populist right wing one, and a centrist one with undefined values.
Vote Green.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Vespa wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:15 pm
kancutlawns wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:09 pm Starmer being all blokey in his speech at the Labour conference. Yuk!
Just listening to him on LBC in the background. Just loads of typical flowery waffle as touching as his reference to his mother was. No substance and he really doesn’t have the conviction I feel to pull it off. Loads of stage managed standing ovations and supporters shouting out. Bit rousing but shit all in all. The audience calling out gets rather irritating after a while.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

kancutlawns wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:24 pm
Just listening to him on LBC in the background. Just loads of typical flowery waffle as touching as his reference to his mother was. No substance and he really doesn’t have the conviction I feel to pull it off. Loads of stage managed standing ovations and supporters shouting out. Bit rousing but shit all in all. The audience calling out gets rather irritating after a while.
He's only got to be as good as Johnson, which isn't fucking hard. Ironically Johnson won MPs backing because he was seen a having a 'common touch' which has dissolved completely to the point he refused to do media interviews. His front bench is poor on the media as well. Lisa Nandy vs. Lizz Truss is is going to be fun to watch.

Labour don't need to knock the Tories out just rough them up.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Vespa wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:31 pm
He's only got to be as good as Johnson, which isn't fucking hard. Ironically Johnson won MPs backing because he was seen a having a 'common touch' which has dissolved completely to the point he refused to do media interviews. His front bench is poor on the media as well. Lisa Nandy vs. Lizz Truss is is going to be fun to watch.

That’s the thing, he does seem a bit passive and too polished, just comes across as a bit bland. I know it’s all just window dressing but really, should he be a bit of a bruiser and get a bit dirty?

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

kancutlawns wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:43 pm
Vespa wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:31 pm

That’s the thing, he does seem a bit passive and too polished, just comes across as a bit bland. I know it’s all just window dressing but really, should he be a bit of a bruiser and get a bit dirty?
That's why he needs to get his team on the media.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Starmer has about as much appeal as as cold rice pudding, he's bringing out all the old promises, all which could have been brought into force when Labour was in, harsher sentences for rapists, wife beaters and all the others.
I may be wrong, but which government was it which brought in early release for prisoners, and now they're bellyaching that the sentences aren't long enough.

He's certainly hard to listen to, and bloody hell, he's tackier than the kitchen floor when I spilt a tin of treacle.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it