The Hundred (cricket)

Anything sportlike
JW90

Re: The Hundred (cricket)

Post by JW90 »

JimmyDee wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:41 pm
kancutlawns wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:54 am What is the obsession amongst the cricketing authorities and the TV companies that children ... [snip]
Children, meaning the under-12s, are a perfect target-audience, or Demographic as they say nowadays. It makes perfect sense (to me) to have a child-friendly version of cricket which lasts just shorter than the average 8 year-old's attention span, or that they can dip in and out of, between running around and screaming.
What *I* find impossible to understand is the Authorities desperately chasing an audience of teenagers who will NEVER be interested, while cunningly alienating the audience they already have.
===
The reason last night's first "Hundred" match worked, in my opinion, is that it involved women, so the "lads" never turned up.
Let's see what happens tonight.
Agreed. Lots of stuff about no chanting, family friendly, no beer snakes etc. Unlikely at the women's game. The men could be different, especially with a much bigger crowd.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

kancutlawns wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:54 am What is the obsession amongst the cricketing authorities and the TV companies that children ... [snip]
Children, meaning the under-12s, are a perfect target-audience, or Demographic as they say nowadays. It makes perfect sense (to me) to have a child-friendly version of cricket which lasts just shorter than the average 8 year-old's attention span, or that they can dip in and out of, between running around and screaming.
What *I* find impossible to understand is the Authorities desperately chasing an audience of teenagers who will NEVER be interested, while cunningly alienating the audience they already have.
===
The reason last night's first "Hundred" match worked, in my opinion, is that it involved women, so the "lads" never turned up.
Child friendly version of cricket? Like using Velcro, fluffy balls, padded bats and a wicket the size of a paddling pool? It’s patronising to children and using them as convenient bait because the ECB don’t have the capability to broaden cricket’s appeal to adults and further. Should the not therefore target the over 80s too by having armchair cricket, having Ovaltine breaks every eight balls and the game being sponsored by SAGA, Stena and Tena?

How do they know what under-12s want? They don’t fucking want funny coloured clothes cricket and talking down to them whilst taking it for granted that they’ll buy into a five minute wonder just so the jacketed cunts at the MCC can have more naps in the sun and quaff more champers is abominable.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

kancutlawns wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:21 pm
===
Child friendly version of cricket? Like using Velcro, fluffy balls, padded bats and a wicket the size of a paddling pool? It’s patronising to children and using them as convenient bait because the ECB don’t have the capability to broaden cricket’s appeal to adults and further. Should the not therefore target the over 80s too by having armchair cricket, having Ovaltine breaks every eight balls and the game being sponsored by SAGA, Stena and Tena?

How do they know what under-12s want? They don’t fucking want funny coloured clothes cricket and talking down to them whilst taking it for granted that they’ll buy into a five minute wonder just so the jacketed cunts at the MCC can have more naps in the sun and quaff more champers is abominable.
I bet the team mascots are a hoot.

In fact I bet one of them is a wacky owl called Hoot.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

JW90 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:04 pm
===
Agreed. Lots of stuff about no chanting, family friendly, no beer snakes etc. Unlikely at the women's game. The men could be different, especially with a much bigger crowd.
Interviewing the punters outside and a group of lads wanting "beers and sixes". :) :drinkers:
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Carlos J wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:16 pm
===
Interviewing the punters outside and a group of lads wanting "beers and sixes". :) :drinkers:
Yeah, you'll get the usual pot bellied, middle aged, drunken yobs with their skin an angry shade of red in their England footy tops singing Sweet Caroline. That'll be a great welcoming reception for the target audience won't it? I guess there will be a family friendly version of said cunts who'll publicly apologise for their swearing and belligerent gestures. Perhaps the ECB could look to change the behaviour of cricket fans who have been infiltrated by football yobs but that may take another three generations to do.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

kancutlawns wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:06 pm
Carlos J wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:16 pm
===
Yeah, you'll get the usual pot bellied, middle aged, drunken yobs with their skin an angry shade of red in their England footy tops singing Sweet Caroline. That'll be a great welcoming reception for the target audience won't it? I guess there will be a family friendly version of said cunts who'll publicly apologise for their swearing and belligerent gestures. Perhaps the ECB could look to change the behaviour of cricket fans who have been infiltrated by football yobs but that may take another three generations to do.
They looked early 20s. Same when went to T20 finals day, most of the cunts in fancy dress were early 20s. Same at England v Germany, most giving '10 German bombers' were early 20s and pissed or on coke. Cunts come in all ages and there seems to be not let up of younger ones coming through.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Good to see Jack Garret playing in the interval. Would love to say I have heard of him :(

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Jonathan wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:49 pm Good to see Jack Garret playing in the interval. Would love to say I have heard of him :(
Has. He was awful.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

Carlos J wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:21 pm
Jonathan wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:49 pm Good to see Jack Garret playing in the interval. Would love to say I have heard of him :(
Has. He was awful.
He was worse than that.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

kancutlawns wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:21 pm Child friendly version of cricket? Like using Velcro, fluffy balls, padded bats and a wicket the size of a paddling pool?
No, I meant child-friendly for nowadays, without overgrown teenagers trampling them underfoot in their desperate search for camera-time.
Test crcket (barmy army clap clap barmy army clap clap notwithstanding) and county cricket is child-friendly AND proper cricket in those terms. Of course you have to make allowances for them getting a bit bored, but if you take a child to cricket you understand that it's not all about you. It's how all the old cricket-fans grew to love the game.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

I watched the men's game on the telly tonight, and here are my Important Opinions:
1) they managed to find a few kids, but most of the crowd seemed to be "lads"
2) Who the fuck is "Chunkz"? I'd like to thank him for his valuable contribution to my viewing pleasure, though.
3) It would have been helpfull if the team WEARING green had been shown in green on the graphics, and not the team in brown.
4) With 19 needed off 3 balls I jokingly said to myself "I wonder if he'll bowl a soft one, so the publicity people can talk about how close it was". What he actually bowled was even worse than that, and under normal circumstances would result in a Stewards' Enquiry. If you can't believe that what you're watching is fair and above board then they should knock it on the head now.

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

As to point 1, Jimmy, Vaughan on 5Live said how different the crowd was to yesterday.

I'll watch the gamea on BBC as good to see Amy cricket on terrestrial TV.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Carlos J wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:01 pm Amy cricket ...
"They tried to make me go to DRS
But I said no, no, no"

I thengyow!

JW90

Post by JW90 »

JimmyDee wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:53 pm 2) Who the fuck is "Chunkz"? I'd like to thank him for his valuable contribution to my viewing pleasure, though.
He edited Wisden between 2012 and 2019. Favourite cricketer was Nick Knight. Loves the serene atmosphere at Guildford when Surrey play there.

I'm sure Woodsy will be part of the Sky coverage.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

JimmyDee wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:17 pm
Carlos J wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:01 pm Amy cricket ...
"They tried to make me go to DRS
But I said no, no, no"

I thengyow!
Subconsciously remembering the 10th anniversary of her death today..