GB News

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
The Tick

Re: GB News

Post by The Tick »

black_guardian wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:39 pm It all started going downhill when they started 24 hour news channels in the UK. Everything gets over analysed and shoe horned into a short time so that someone can give an "opinion". There are not enough stories of interest to cover, so analysis ends up as filler.

Detailed, forensic analysis (which is what good journalism is) used to be done by the late night shows like Newsnight or investigative shows like World in Action, TV Eye etc.

If a journalist wants to call out a blatant lie on air then I don't have an issue with that, provided the facts give them strong enough backing.

I'm bored of "opinions" shouted by the like of:

Owen Jones "why the working class should never vote Tory and all big business is evil "

vs.

Douglas Murray "everything wrong with the world that isn't the fault of white Judeo-Christian culture because that has never caused problems"

All media are so scared of this current mob in power. Can you imagine a documentary like "Death on the Rock" getting made and broadcast today?

For those young 'uns out there..

The "Death on the rock" documentary incited the Thatcher government to retaliate against Thames TV (the programme's producers), paving the way for Carlton TV to replace it as London's weekday broadcaster for ITV. Precipitating the years of dumbing-down television, and the eventual mergers of ITV's regional franchises to create a generic channel now dominated by phone-in reality shows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcasting_Act_1990

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

:dart:
There's no poem, just prose.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

antdad wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:00 pm
JimmyDee wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:33 am "The News" stopped being that years ago.
When I were a lad you got 10 minutes at 6pm and a whole 15 minutes at 9pm ... and that's just about right.

The News is that, for instance, there's been an earthquake in Tokyo. We know what an earthquake is, we don't need to see a reporter standing among the rubble to prove there's been one, because we fucking believed you in the first place, and we don't need hours of conjecture about what this might mean for various things at some point in the future. You need it, we don't.

As for "Tomorrow the Prime Minister will make a speech in which he will say ..." How about waiting until he's said it? Have we no patience now? Are you THAT desperate to fill those empty hours of broadcasting-time?
What do think is going to happen to the quality and impartiality of the news you desire from Digger and his backers? To drive more revenue through advertising you need to become more opinion based and sensationalist, extreme and divisive, all the while decrying rival channels as purveyors of liberal agendas and fake news. Where on earth have we seen that before?
I was speaking of the general point about "News" being anything but.You seem to have a wonderful telepathic knowledge about what "I" desire ... from Digger", whoever HE is.
Could you please stop telling me what "I" want, based only on what you WISH I wanted, rather than what I actually want?
Thanking you in advance.

+++

Sorry for the multiple-quote.
Normally I'd edit it down, but unfortunately I feel the need to quote the whole thing, for context.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Jim is mad as hell and he's not going to take this anymore!
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:42 pm

What a fantastic marketing ploy, create a phantom enemy and then pretend you’ll defend people against it.

You’ve got to hand it to them, they certainly know there audience and what gets them at it.
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

JudgeTedd wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:19 pm What a fantastic marketing ploy, create a phantom enemy and then pretend you’ll defend people against it.

You’ve got to hand it to them, they certainly know there audience and what gets them at it.

Neil had a cracking joke here, Maugham is famous for clubbing a fox to death in his garden and then oddly owning up to on Twitter.

Fox clubbing story - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51755899

Holden Mcgroyne

JudgeTedd wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:19 pm

What a fantastic marketing ploy, create a phantom enemy and then pretend you’ll defend people against it.

You do know the chronology of what happened over the weekend ?

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:27 pm

Endless people tweeting their mobile phone company saying they'll quit if said company advertises on GB News

Holden Mcgroyne

Vespa wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:30 pm

Endless people tweeting their mobile phone company saying they'll quit if said company advertises on GB News
Started by a hate group encouraging them to do it.

In other words, nothing to do with GB News

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:50 pm
Vespa wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:30 pm

Started by a hate group encouraging them to do it.

In other words, nothing to do with GB News
Isn't is a campaign started by Hope not Hate asking people to boycott their advertisers.

Holden Mcgroyne

Certainly is.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

It it TV news channel or radio? Sorry ... bit dim. I just hope it's in HD with plenty of Right Wing hotties in cute little outfits. I can watch it with the sound off in needed. Just be nice to see some legs. :P
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

carcinogen wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:46 am It it TV news channel or radio? Sorry ... bit dim. I just hope it's in HD with plenty of Right Wing hotties in cute little outfits. I can watch it with the sound off in needed. Just be nice to see some legs. :P
See some legs? Have you heard of the Internet?

Holden Mcgroyne

Almost 100,000 followers on its new Twitter account in less than 24 hours

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:16 pm Almost 100,000 followers on its new Twitter account in less than 24 hours
A lot of them think it is UKIP TV.