£800K per month.

In-depth debate on all topical issues

What is the main motiovation for average speed cameras?

Revenue Raising.
83%
A serious attempt to improve road safety.
17%

Total votes: 23

The Tick

Re: £800K per month.

Post by The Tick »

Has anyone actually been done for doing 30mph in a 20mph road? I've done it without any penalty.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

The Tick wrote:Has anyone actually been done for doing 30mph in a 20mph road? I've done it without any penalty.
OR SO YOU THINK
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Steve Hunt wrote:As the late great Mike Dickin used to say "it's not speed that kills, it's inappropriate speed that kills".

For instance, 30 mph may well be inappropriate in a busy child friendly area.
Likewise, if you are heading North on the M6 and you get past Lancaster, I really don't see why the speed limit should be 70 mph. Every time I have used it (which is a lot), the motorway is virtually deserted. Three lanes of fuck all traffic & you are limited to 70 in case a camera is lurking. Bonkers.

+1
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Obviously you don't get caught every time you break a speed limit or everyone in the country would be disqualified in six weeks. That'd reduce congestion I suppose.
Most 20 limits are advisory only and have restricted hours.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

The Tick wrote:Has anyone actually been done for doing 30mph in a 20mph road? I've done it without any penalty.
No.

This is precisely my point about taking speed enforcement into areas where there is a clear danger rather than the trawler approach of speed cameras . If you were to prosecute speeding drivers in residential back streets where kids play or normal people just cross the road, you'd also be catching the most dangerous drivers on the open carriageways as well. They drive recklessly wherever they go. It really is that simple.

The only reason these mass surveillance speed cameras exist is because they are ruthlessly efficient at generating money.

Lord Notin Kwestion

Post by Lord Notin Kwestion »

I don't see the problem. The speed limit is clearly marked. Speeding causes more deaths than drunk driving but i find it rather amusing that the twats on here are quick to condemn people that have had a drink. Sounds like a bunch of small dicked old boy racers tbh. if anything, I'm more careful if I've had a few pints before driving home.
Imagine a vaccine so safe you have to blackmailed into taking it, for a virus so deadly you have to be tested to know if you have it.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Lord Notin Kwestion wrote:I don't see the problem. The speed limit is clearly marked. Speeding causes more deaths than drunk driving but i find it rather amusing that the twats on here are quick to condemn people that have had a drink. Sounds like a bunch of small dicked old boy racers tbh. if anything, I'm more careful if I've had a few pints before driving home.
If you have had a few pints, you may well be over the limit, Notin.

Certainly would be if it was say, Stella Artois.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

The bottom line is that there are rules and laws. People may criticise them, and that criticisism may well be valid in many instances, but if you get caught exceeding the speed limit, the alcohol limit, or using a mob, then look in the mirror to establish who is the cunt.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

It is ridiculous logic to say that speed causes deaths. The WRONG speed in the wrong situation may cause an accident or even a fatal one, but going 38 mph in a 30 at 2 am on an empty road with no other cars or pedestrians present, good street lighting and a long arc or vision is not dangerous.
Police cars often go fast all the time but they don't usually kill people on the way.
To simplify this down to speed kills is just to take one factor, add the outcome and reach a simplistic but incorrect conclusion.
It's like noting that most drownings involve boats and concluding that boats cause drowning.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Zambo wrote:The bottom line is that there are rules and laws. People may criticise them, and that criticisism may well be valid in many instances, but if you get caught exceeding the speed limit, the alcohol limit, or using a mob, then look in the mirror to establish who is the cunt.
No, we're entitled to question laws if they're wrong. Laws are not simply a means of someone telling you what to do because they say so, and no human being is so low and insignificant that they must obey the orders of some superior class of law makers whether they are just or unjust. That is called slavery.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

By that logic people in Germany in the mid 20th century who failed to report Jews to the SS were "cunts" because they broke the law.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Royal24s wrote:
Zambo wrote:The bottom line is that there are rules and laws. People may criticise them, and that criticisism may well be valid in many instances, but if you get caught exceeding the speed limit, the alcohol limit, or using a mob, then look in the mirror to establish who is the cunt.
No, we're entitled to question laws if they're wrong. Laws are not simply a means of someone telling you what to do because they say so, and no human being is so low and insignificant that they must obey the orders of some superior class of law makers whether they are just or unjust. That is called slavery.
Who said people are not entitled to question laws, in fact I've actually said that some criticism is valid. My point is don't fucking well whine like a banshee if you are caught breaking one. Take some positive action instead, and try and get them changed. If you don't like the speed limit laws, then start a petition. You may well get over 100,000 signatures and force a debate in HP.

As for the slavery remark, that's bollocks. The public vote at local and general elections, and the mandate is therefore given for those elected to act on the publics behalf. If you don't like that system do something about it. If you don't like it here you could always go and live in somewhere like Zimbabwe, North Korea, or Iran.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Royal24s wrote:It is ridiculous logic to say that speed causes deaths. The WRONG speed in the wrong situation may cause an accident or even a fatal one, but going 38 mph in a 30 at 2 am on an empty road with no other cars or pedestrians present, good street lighting and a long arc or vision is not dangerous.
Police cars often go fast all the time but they don't usually kill people on the way.
To simplify this down to speed kills is just to take one factor, add the outcome and reach a simplistic but incorrect conclusion.
It's like noting that most drownings involve boats and concluding that boats cause drowning.
I agree, whilst speed in itself does not necessarily cause deaths, it can and does contribute to them. Hit a child at 20 and there is a good chance of them surviving. Hit them at 40, and the risk shoots up dramatically. However, you can't have a different speed limit for when the schools turn out and then change it when the road is quiet

If people want to tear arse around at every opportunity, then join a racing club, don't do it on the roads where other peoples lives are at stake.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Best not to hit them at all in my experience . That's a daft bit of false logic often quoted by money grabbing legislators but of course they issue most speeding fines in circumstances when there's absolutely no chance of hitting a child at all.
It's very like the crap about, " would you torture someone if there was a nuclear bomb about to destroy a city and kill 10 million people and they had the code to disarm it ? "
Well, yes maybe I would , but that's not really going to happen is it, and it's never happened outside an Austin Powers movie, so in reality it doesn't justify Guantanamo Bay, does it ?

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Zambo wrote:
Royal24s wrote:
Who said people are not entitled to question laws, in fact I've actually said that some criticism is valid. My point is don't fucking well whine like a banshee if you are caught breaking one. Take some positive action instead, and try and get them changed. If you don't like the speed limit laws, then start a petition. You may well get over 100,000 signatures and force a debate in HP.

As for the slavery remark, that's bollocks. The public vote at local and general elections, and the mandate is therefore given for those elected to act on the publics behalf. If you don't like that system do something about it. If you don't like it here you could always go and live in somewhere like Zimbabwe, North Korea, or Iran.
Hang on.... So if I question the behaviour of local councillors misusing their ability to make traffic regulations I'd want to live under a still more fucked up bannana republic than this has become ?
Or perhaps I'm supposed to feel grateful that these fucking little tin hitlers aren't quite as bad as Robert Mugabe and just put up with it. Laws are supposed to conform with certain guidelines in what used to be our constitution before Tony Blair abolished it. This is called jurisprudence and appears to be a lost art here, and that's our fault for putting up with it.
I'm sorry , but I don't regard the existence of dictators in third world hell holes as mitigation for riding a coach and horses through the Common Law and usage of England.
Obedience to unjust laws without constant accountability is indeed slavery.