Poppy seller

In-depth debate on all topical issues
birdie

Re: Poppy seller

Post by birdie »

Carlos J wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:56 pm
birdie wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:43 pm
Carlos J wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:25 pm As we're mentioning poppies, glad the great Poppy Watch is up and running again:
Someone has send a lot of time on that, there was a woman who used to produce pattern books for knitted and crocheted cartoon characters, like Postman Pat, and fairies and dragons, don't recall her name but I had one of her patterns many years ago,t a few patterns for crochet poppies, made a few too, but I cant see to read the pattern now, let alone make one.
Yep, there are a few villages near me with knitted and crochet postbox covers.

During my convalescence my sister tried to teach me crochet as she sells stuff she makes. I couldn't take to it however many videos I watched. :( Shame as could knit when I was a kid.

Remember Gaunt, wasn't he making a bit with those poppies?
You could be the next Kaffe Fassett :lol:
The fat fool wasn't making money himself, he was promoting, for want of a better description, a phone scam where you paid £1.50 for a picture of a poppy to use as a screen saver, 90p, I think, went to the Legion and the rest to whatever sammy company it was. P
Folk on here asked him why he didn't just give the poppy seller £1.50, take a pic of the poppy and use that as a screen saver instead of lining some schysters pocket. That riled him up so much you could hear his anger at being made a fool of, and the rest, as they say, is history.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Scum Gaunt.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

Stores like Tesco and Sainsburys regulate who can be in their stores like that and will only allow pre-arranged and accredited people. If only to make sure that there aren't loads of them causing obstructions and annoying shoppers.

The store manager would have got it in the neck if the poppy seller had been a rogue, and kept all the donations.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Despise poppies.

I’ll stick 50p in your little tin if you insist but I won’t take a poppy nor will I display one.

Winds me up how it’s been politicised and become a weird badge of virtue for people who care incessantly about how others perceive them. Or a stick with which to beat others if they aren’t wearing one.

“How come you’re not wearing a poppy?” With more than a hint of an accusatory tone. What they’re really saying is “oh, so you like to see young men getting their legs blown off and giving their lives for YOU, is that what you’re saying?”

Pricks.

The only good poppy is the opium.
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

birdie

Post by birdie »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:04 pm Stores like Tesco and Sainsburys regulate who can be in their stores like that and will only allow pre-arranged and accredited people. If only to make sure that there aren't loads of them causing obstructions and annoying shoppers.

The store manager would have got it in the neck if the poppy seller had been a rogue, and kept all the donations.
There doesn't seem to have been a problem in past years , she's been doing her shift at that store ever since it opened, around 1978/9, has her Legion ID and if she occupied one of the customer chairs she'd cause no more of an obstruction than a customer with a trolley, the elderly gentleman who used to do a turn there didn't have a problem with using one of the chairs either, he wore his chest full of medals and sad quietly and didn't ask people to buy, unlike some of the bods the store allows on the premises.
I used to have a chat with him, the last year he was there he had his walking frame, told me it would probably be his last year as he was 94 and 'getting a bit tired'.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Sadact7 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:30 pm Despise poppies.

I’ll stick 50p in your little tin if you insist but I won’t take a poppy nor will I display one.

Winds me up how it’s been politicised and become a weird badge of virtue for people who care incessantly about how others perceive them. Or a stick with which to beat others if they aren’t wearing one.

“How come you’re not wearing a poppy?” With more than a hint of an accusatory tone. What they’re really saying is “oh, so you like to see young men getting their legs blown off and giving their lives for YOU, is that what you’re saying?”

Pricks.

Absolute truth from t'dact.

Spot on post this.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Pricks.

I think you make some valid points, but I don't wear a poppy for a few days up to and including 11th November to virtue signal to anyone. I wear it to show respect and commemorate my ancestors, and all of the brave soles who gave their lives for liberty and freedom, and am proud to do so.

I couldn't give a fuck what people think about that, nor do I have any opinion about those who chose not to wear a poppy for whatever reason, and moreover think there are an awful lot more people who wear one for the right than the wrong reasons.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

birdie wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:17 am
Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:04 pm Stores like Tesco and Sainsburys regulate who can be in their stores like that and will only allow pre-arranged and accredited people. If only to make sure that there aren't loads of them causing obstructions and annoying shoppers.

There doesn't seem to have been a problem in past years , she's been doing her shift at that store ever since it opened, around 1978/9, has her Legion ID and if she occupied one of the customer chairs she'd cause no more of an obstruction than a customer with a trolley, the elderly gentleman who used to do a turn there didn't have a problem with using one of the chairs either, he wore his chest full of medals and sad quietly and didn't ask people to buy, unlike some of the bods the store allows on the premises.
I used to have a chat with him, the last year he was there he had his walking frame, told me it would probably be his last year as he was 94 and 'getting a bit tired'.
Then there's been some kind of failure in Sainsbury's systems.
The store manager should have been told it was coming and who the people are to expect.
Possibly not told or didn't read emails.

I know this because I wanted to promote a charity in Sainsburys a couple of years ago and the store manager did not have the authority to agree.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Pricks.

True. I wear a poppy pin badge as a personal choice. It also looks quite classy on a coat compared to those paper ones. But I'm not arsed in the slightest about who else is wearing one or not.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Zippy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:12 pm

Pricks.

True. I wear a poppy pin badge as a personal choice. It also looks quite classy on a coat compared to those paper ones. But I'm not arsed in the slightest about who else is wearing one or not.
I prefer the pin badges, too.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
“Cod philosopher” –Antdad
“The forum's saucy upstart” –Ghost
“Solid broess” –Sadact7

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Zippy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:12 pm The only good poppy is the opium.

Zambo wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:27 am I think you make some valid points, but I don't wear a poppy for a few days up to and including 11th November to virtue signal to anyone. I wear it to show respect and commemorate my ancestors, and all of the brave soles who gave their lives for liberty and freedom, and am proud to do so.

I couldn't give a fuck what people think about that, nor do I have any opinion about those who chose not to wear a poppy for whatever reason, and moreover think there are an awful lot more people who wear one for the right than the wrong reasons.
And that’s absolutely fair. You do it for your own reasons and good luck to you. My issue is with those who do it because they think it’s some sort of obligation that we all have to adhere to.

To be honest, it amuses me that I’m winding up that sort of person by not wearing one.

Flag shaggers and poppy paedos.
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe