What are your views on the British Royal Family?

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.

What are your views on the British Royal Family?

I love them. Appointed by God, they make me proud to be British and they are the one constant in a chaotic 21st Century. Gawd bless ver queen!
6%
They’re OK, difficult to see what purpose they serve but they’re harmless. Should probably trim back and just keep the key royals
59%
Scrounging scum who need to get a proper job and get rid it’s resident nonce, jug eared elderly weirdo and assorted hangers on. Vive le Rupublique!
35%

Total votes: 17

The Tick

Re: What are your views on the British Royal Family?

Post by The Tick »

JimmyDee wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:48 pm
Sid Pervcat wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:38 pm They're shit options.
Agreed, but for different reasons.

Our armed forces and our judges swear allegiance to a powerless, unelected, person. A BAD thing, you may think, but consider the alternative ...

The army having to swear allegiance to a here-today-gone-tomorrow politician with an agenda.
Yet another fucking election, with approximately half the electorate able to claim that the winner is "Not My President".
An elected President, almost by definition an ex-politician, would want to accumulate power, and battle with Parliament over who rules whom.

Fuck's sake! I'd rather have a King Bobo The Simple-Minded than President Blair or President Cameron.
In a republic, the president is almost always a ceremonial figure head with the real decision making done at prime ministerial/parliamentary level. So for the armed forces to swear allegiance to president isnt a problem really.

And even when the president is the power i.e in the USA the allegiance is made to the office he holds. So not a problem either.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Bobo would be a fair ruler
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:46 pm Bobo would be a fair ruler

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

The Tick wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:05 pm In a republic, the president is almost always a ceremonial figure head with the real decision making done at prime ministerial/parliamentary level
Good luck with telling Galtieri and Macron that :-) And Trump, and Roosevelt, and Eisenhower, and Hoover.
"Almost always" doesn't mean "always" :-)

We ALL know that a UK president would want to accumulate more powers than James I/VI ever dreamed of.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

JimmyDee wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:24 pm
The Tick wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:05 pm In a republic, the president is almost always a ceremonial figure head with the real decision making done at prime ministerial/parliamentary level
Good luck with telling Galtieri and Macron that :-) And Trump, and Roosevelt, and Eisenhower, and Hoover.

We ALL know that a UK president would want to accumulate more powers than James I/VI ever dreamed of.
Galtieri was the leader of a military dictatorship and not a democratic republic so I'm not sure why you've referenced him in this.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Where's the lizard option ?
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Perlagreen

Post by Perlagreen »

Royal fam are ok if they just kept quiet like they did pre Diana

However prince Andrew the fucking sex case needs taking to trial

Prince harry just live in USA keep mouth shut and fuck your wierd wife in your big mansion

Could be worse imagine old Nicolae ( Ceausescu) being you leader - what do you.mean it's like that now !!! 😁
Doar Dinamo Bucuresti

DDB

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

AlcoholBrazil wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:57 pm Where's the lizard option ?
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

Zambo wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:47 am
AlcoholBrazil wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:57 pm Where's the lizard option ?
ALL HAIL OUR LIZARD OVERLORDS!!!
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

Can anyone on here answer this question that has been around for decades?

When the Queen does finally shuffle off her mortal coil.... do we all get a day off work?

Is this true or just an urban myth?
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

JudgeTedd wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:17 am Can anyone on here answer this question that has been around for decades?

When the Queen does finally shuffle off her mortal coil.... do we all get a day off work?

Is this true or just an urban myth?
'There will only be a bank holiday following the death of a royal family member when the Queen dies. In fact there will be two: one on the day of her funeral and one on the day that King Charles III (or whatever regnal name he chooses) is coronated'.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

The Tick wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:00 pm

Galtieri was the leader of a military dictatorship and not a democratic republic so I'm not sure why you've referenced him in this.
Because Galtieri was President. Next!

I know The Internet isn't proof, but I've at least posted some sort of reference to back up my wild assertion.
https://www.britannica.com/biography/Leopoldo-Galtieri
"Leopoldo Galtieri, President of Argentina"
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

JimmyDee wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:02 pm
The Tick wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:00 pm

Because Galtieri was President. Next!

I know The Internet isn't proof, but I've at least posted some sort of reference to back up my wild assertion.
https://www.britannica.com/biography/Leopoldo-Galtieri
"Leopoldo Galtieri, President of Argentina"
Comparing a military dictatorship to a democratic republic doesn't make for a sensible argument in favour of a monarchical system