The modern football fan

Anything sportlike
JudgeTedd

Re: The modern football fan

Post by JudgeTedd »

antdad wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:41 am
JudgeTedd wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:02 pm
But he hasn’t given a thought to what would happen if Arsenal invested in the summer either. If the Gunners spent around the same as some of those teams mentioned, who would be in a better position come the start of next season?
Given that for the past few years Arsenal have mostly ended up in fifth place or lower until last season is that really down to your improvement or some of the usual suspects having a poor time of it for one reason or another in a punctuated season.

It will be a bit of both tbf so if that's the case assuming those clubs have a bit of a rebound and find some semblance of stability and consistant form wouldn't you also expect similar improvements in their league position irrespective of any future spend?
Will all clubs be improving, or just certain ones?
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

The modern fan records the TV showing, then watches it a few minutes after the kick-off, so he can fast forward through half-time and not have to watch the pundits talking crap.
He watches until Manchester City or Liverpool look as if they are in control and will definitely win, when he switches over and watched re-runs of Last of the Summer Wine. Even that programme being preferable to the rubbish he's switched over from.
More often than not he finds the game so boring he never makes it to the end and watches instead the third re-run of some old panel game or quiz.
If he does keep the game on he finds something else to do at the same time and only looks up at the screen when some commentator screams hysterically.

The modern fan in question being me, who finds most of what is shown totally boring, and is seriously considering giving up his Sky and BT subscriptions.

To think I once, in the far distant past; went to every home game, every away game or the reserves if too distant and every youth game; queued early on Sunday mornings to get cup-tickets or a ticket for the replay, and rushed to the shop at 6-00pm on a Saturday to get the Football Pink.

If I sound to you like a grumpy, disillusioned curmugeon, then you are probably spot on.

i

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

I'm not sure anything about you could remotely be described as "modern". You're about as modern as lambos film watchlist.
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

antdad

Post by antdad »

@ JT. Your guess is as good as mine but I expect top eight to remain roughly the same but in a different order.

antdad

Post by antdad »

It's a very natural affliction isn't it, unless they have a family member to stear them kids want to belong especially when it's aligned to success.

When I was growing up in London & S.E lots of "mates" became LFC supporters and to be fair decades later those that I still know still are. Up until recently it was a lot of Chelsea and now I can't bloody move for kids wearing Man City pap, tbf it's a handsome shirt for £90 but they'll grow out of before the season is finished.

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

When did this nonsense about combined 11s begin?
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

JudgeTedd wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:44 am When did this nonsense about combined 11s begin?
Is it something those twats on 'Saturday Social' talk about? Only seen it a couple of times as switch off due to nonentity youtubers talking shite.

My nephew (19) sadly is a modern football fan. Talks about ACMs and DCMs and worst of all 'limbs'. :roll:

Haven't heard an xG yet and at least he does go to games.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

Carlos J wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:56 am
JudgeTedd wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:44 am When did this nonsense about combined 11s begin?
Is it something those twats on 'Saturday Social' talk about? Only seen it a couple of times as switch off due to nonentity youtubers talking shite.

My nephew (19) sadly is a modern football fan. Talks about ACMs and DCMs and worst of all 'limbs'. :roll:

Have you considered reporting his parents to Social Services?

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

I haven’t met a modern football fan who isn’t a cunt

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

JudgeTedd wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:40 am
Carlos J wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:56 am

Have you considered reporting his parents to Social Services?

Can't blame my sister as she dislikes football.

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

henrycrs wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:48 am I haven’t met a modern football fan who isn’t a cunt
+1

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Alright lads! Wasson 🤣🤣🤣🤣
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
“The forum's saucy upstart” –Ghost
“Solid broess” –Sadact7
“Decent long termer”–Paolo

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

henrycrs wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:48 am I haven’t met a modern football fan who isn’t a cunt
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

lambrini wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:49 pm

Alright lads! Wasson 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Chap as Savile not going down well with X, formerly known as Twitter, commenters.