There is honesty about.

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
VeritasVincit

There is honesty about.

Post by VeritasVincit »

I got home and couldn’t find my mobile. I realised that it must have dropped out of my pocket while I was getting out and in my car earlier.
So I drove, somewhat furiously, back to where I’d parked.
No phone there but three young [about 14 years] girls holding something and then walking off towards the town centre.
I caught them up and asked if they’d seen a black phone near where they had been standing.
“Yes, it’s here”. “We rang a number on it to see who’s it was. Elizabeth in Somerset said she thought she knew but we should take it to the police station.”
They were on the way there when I stopped them.
They then told me I must phone Elizabeth to say I’d got back.

I was amazed at such honesty. In this area I’d have expected to have seen the last of it.
I hadn’t enough to reward them at the time, only £5 with me, so I went round to their school this morning to leave some more [they’d told Elizabeth that they were pupils at the local school and one had given her name to Elizabeth].

Next step, e-mail their head teacher to tell him the story of these honest pupils. The school hasn’t always had the reputation of having model pupils

beingsoblase

Re: There is honesty about.

Post by beingsoblase »

Sounds like a decent bunch of kids there veritas, and i always like to think this sort of thing is the norm rather than an exception.
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

beingsoblase wrote:Sounds like a decent bunch of kids there veritas, and i always like to think this sort of thing is the norm rather than an exception.

It probably is. Most of those I taught, years ago, would have done the same. But in this area there are large numbers of less than perfectly behaved youngsters, which is why I was pleasantly surprised.

Reg

Post by Reg »

VeritasVincit wrote:
beingsoblase wrote:Sounds like a decent bunch of kids there veritas, and i always like to think this sort of thing is the norm rather than an exception.

It probably is. Most of those I taught, years ago, would have done the same. But in this area there are large numbers of less than perfectly behaved youngsters, which is why I was pleasantly surprised.

I’ve had plenty of experience of people helping out like that.

Even had somene give me some banknotes I dropped on a tube platform. Didn’t notice them fall out of my pocket. Offered him some cash but he refused, as have all the other people who have returned things.

On the other side, I once returned a purse with cash, cards, ID etc, to a woman’s (quite posh) house.

Knocked on the door and she took it without even saying thank you.

I’ve lost bags and had them returned, and done the same with things I’ve found.
Roy IN!!

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

A few years ago I lost my wallet.

I was pissed, my fault entirely.

I didn't realise till the next day.

There was 40 quid and all my cards and a few other important things I needed in it.

The next morning it was a panicked phone around and visit to the bars I went to the night before.

Last visit to a hotel bar and one of the Polish cleaning girls had handed it in with cash and everything, in to the hotel management and they said they were going to ring a number they found in the wallet (my wife's phone) later that afternoon if no one had come in to pick it up.

I had already written off the cash in my mind in the very slight off chance I got it back, so I told the girl at reception to give the money to the cleaner and wrote a wee thank you note to give her as well. I was just so relieved to get my cards and other stuff back.

I hope the hotel was as honest as their cleaning staff in handing the money to the girl.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Don't be surprised if you get a knock on the door early tomorrow morning ... "sexually harrassing teenage schoolgirls". ;) haha. Glad you got your phone back.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

carcinogen wrote:Don't be surprised if you get a knock on the door early tomorrow morning ... "sexually harrassing teenage schoolgirls". ;) haha. Glad you got your phone back.

Oh God!
Do you think anyone saw me offering them money in the street?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

A good tale of good people, VV. I'm sure there are many more of them about.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

A couple of weeks ago I was in my car coming from a retail park to a large and busy roundabout.

I was second in the queue to enter and I made the classic mistake of watching the traffic rather than the car in front of me, and when I went he didn't , so I rammed him.

We went off at the next exit and stopped. He got out of his 54 plate Corsa and I thought he'd be upset. I had dented his tailgate though my car was unmarked, He asked if I was OK, which surprised me. I was, except for feeling stupid. We looked at the dent and he said he had only recently bought the car for £400 and he wasn't worried about getting it beaten out. I gave him my phone number in case he changed his mind but that's the last I've heard.

Perhaps expecting the worst from people is going too far.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I bet his neck is now in a brace.

CuriousMe

Post by CuriousMe »

I have a mobile phone story also showing honesty.
A few years ago walking with lady and dog in the Formby sand dunes, when we got back to the car she realised she'd dropped her phone. In that area you have no chance of finding anything.
So back to the house feeling despondent. When we got there her mother had had a phone call from a chap who'd found the phone, worked out the house phone number and rang up. He was round a bit later to return it.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

CuriousMe wrote:I have a mobile phone story also showing honesty.
A few years ago walking with lady and dog in the Formby sand dunes, when we got back to the car she realised she'd dropped her phone. In that area you have no chance of finding anything.
So back to the house feeling despondent. When we got there her mother had had a phone call from a chap who'd found the phone, worked out the house phone number and rang up. He was round a bit later to return it.

This is what makes me mad about the stereotypical scouser remarks.
I have twice lost my phone in Liverpool.Once I left it on a table in a crowded pub,. I realised after about 5 minutes, went back and it was still there. The other time it had fallen out of my coat pocket in a taxi. When I realised I called it and the driver answered. He asked me where I was and then drove to meet me, I told him to put his meter on but he didn't.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Hillman avenger wrote:A couple of weeks ago I was in my car coming from a retail park to a large and busy roundabout.

I was second in the queue to enter and I made the classic mistake of watching the traffic rather than the car in front of me, and when I went he didn't , so I rammed him.

You were lucky there was no patrol about, although these days you would be unlucky if there was. Anyway, in the interest of honesty, I'd hand myself in and admit to driving without due care and attention

We went off at the next exit and stopped. He got out of his 54 plate Corsa and I thought he'd be upset. I had dented his tailgate though my car was unmarked, He asked if I was OK, which surprised me. I was, except for feeling stupid. We looked at the dent and he said he had only recently bought the car for £400 and he wasn't worried about getting it beaten out. I gave him my phone number in case he changed his mind but that's the last I've heard.

Perhaps expecting the worst from people is going too far.

Stolen?
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On