Beginning Driving Lessons

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
LordLaret

Beginning Driving Lessons

Post by LordLaret »

Hello Everyone,

Most of you folk know me here, but I have only now just recently started driving lessons at the age of 38 due to my mum having been taken ill and having to go to Luton and Dunstable for her operation and me having no means to get there except taxis and family members and this motivating me to get behind the wheel and learn. I am currently on my second lesson with Red and doing automatic cause I can't multitask with a clutch / gearstick. Are there any tips on how to build a critically low self esteem / self confidence in oneself? I am still very new to this. Sorry if this is taking up people's time.
"My Profile Signatures Were Crap, So I Got Rid Of Them."

Eaststand

Re: Beginning Driving Lessons

Post by Eaststand »

believe in yourself, man, i find if you can force yourself into the mindset of believing nothing is a particularly big deal, get a worried nervous thought in your head, make a conscious effort to make it go away, theyll stop forming.

Also, driving automatic is really easy, get someone to take you out in their car as well as lessons, itll all click in your head in no time. Its all just practice, man, its not really a skill, its just a simple thing you dont know how to do yet.
Build Back More Betterer

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

Eaststand wrote:believe in yourself, man, i find if you can force yourself into the mindset of believing nothing is a particularly big deal, get a worried nervous thought in your head, make a conscious effort to make it go away, theyll stop forming.

Also, driving automatic is really easy, get someone to take you out in their car as well as lessons, itll all click in your head in no time. Its all just practice, man, its not really a skill, its just a simple thing you dont know how to do yet.

Thanks East! My first lesson, I was literally shitting bricks and then that just seemed to melt away as the lesson went on. Had one minor setback doing right turns in a carpark just Thursday gone and was so focused on the move that I didn't realise I put my foot down on the accelerator and not the brake. So I am trying m ybest, I just don't know why I have this severe lack of belief from myself.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

because its new, everyone does new thing pretty badly when they start doing them, the more you repeat something, the easier it becomes. Its gets to be fun after a few lessons, I only learned to drive a few years ago, and after my first few lessons I was thinking "Ill never be able to do this", but that all passed and I started to enjoy it, drivings cool.
Build Back More Betterer

Maude

Post by Maude »

LordLaret wrote:Hello Everyone,

Most of you folk know me here, but I have only now just recently started driving lessons at the age of 38 due to my mum having been taken ill and having to go to Luton and Dunstable for her operation and me having no means to get there except taxis and family members and this motivating me to get behind the wheel and learn. I am currently on my second lesson with Red and doing automatic cause I can't multitask with a clutch / gearstick. Are there any tips on how to build a critically low self esteem / self confidence in oneself? I am still very new to this. Sorry if this is taking up people's time.

Good luck mate.

I passed with flying colours a few years ago during my mid-20s (record score at my test centre that week).

It's never too late. I even kept the forum updated of my progress, just watch out for the likes of AlcoholBrazil and Lawns sniping away at your achievements and you'll be fine.
#MAUDE4MOD

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

Maude wrote:

Good luck mate.

I passed with flying colours a few years ago during my mid-20s (record score at my test centre that week).

It's never too late. I even kept the forum updated of my progress, just watch out for the likes of AlcoholBrazil and Lawns sniping away at your achievements and you'll be fine.

Thanks Maude. I also hope to go do my Theory next month after I come back from my holiday and then focus mainly on getting up to 50 hours with an instructor. And no worries about A.B, people will take shots, it's how you deal with them.

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

Eaststand wrote:because its new, everyone does new thing pretty badly when they start doing them, the more you repeat something, the easier it becomes. Its gets to be fun after a few lessons, I only learned to drive a few years ago, and after my first few lessons I was thinking "Ill never be able to do this", but that all passed and I started to enjoy it, drivings cool.

I had the issue with my mum going to a hospital that's like an hour to an hour and a half away from my local town and such that is focusing on me getting this done. I was just so lucky to have work on my doorstep the last 14 years and never having to realistically rely on travel before. (Apart from buses and the like)

Maude

Post by Maude »

LordLaret wrote:
Maude wrote:

Good luck mate.

Thanks Maude. I also hope to go do my Theory next month after I come back from my holiday and then focus mainly on getting up to 50 hours with an instructor. And no worries about A.B, people will take shots, it's how you deal with them.

The official theory test app is very good. I think it costs £5. It has practice exams that have the same questions that will be on the real test. It's harder than you might think but nothing to worry about with the right amount of preparation.
#MAUDE4MOD

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Agree with maude there. There app is excellent.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk
Build Back More Betterer

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

Eaststand wrote:Agree with maude there. There app is excellent.

My brother got me the app that gives me access to the theory test / hazard perception tests / mock exams / random questions and the highway code and all sorts! Also monitors my progress over time as well, it's very handy indeed!

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Its really good I actually enjoyed learning stuff on it, and it all stuck in my head as I got 30/30 in the test, they don't screw you over and ask you totally different questions on the day, the questions on the app are on the test.

Build Back More Betterer

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

LordLaret wrote:
Eaststand wrote:Agree with maude there. There app is excellent.

My brother got me the app that gives me access to the theory test / hazard perception tests / mock exams / random questions and the highway code and all sorts! Also monitors my progress over time as well, it's very handy indeed!

Don't make the mistake I made,
I got in the car via the sun-roof.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

I was 40 when I learned to drive. Piece of piss, although my advice is to book 2-hour lessons, as an hour isn't really long enough to relax in.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

deisegirl

Post by deisegirl »

I had very low confidence learning to drive, though I forced myself to learn long before I "needed" to drive on a regular basis. I had my licence six years before I bought my first car. The clutch/gearstick caused me the most issues for a while, so at least you have a head start there!

Practice and repetition will make things easier. If you're anything like I was, you'll imagine all the worst things that can happen, but that does go away I promise. And even rhoigh you need to drive for a sad reason you'll be delighted with the independence it gives you.
Saggers is alive??!!
Talksport is dark and full of errors.
Wilbur did nuffink wrong!

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

JimmyDee wrote:I was 40 when I learned to drive. Piece of piss, although my advice is to book 2-hour lessons, as an hour isn't really long enough to relax in.

Yeah, the Driving Lesson Company (RED) courses are 2 hours long. I aim to get one a week until my holiday and then at the end of next month, dobule the courses if need be. I am getting one a week though right now.