Still Using Old Electical Appliances

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Carlos J
Forum Admin

Still Using Old Electical Appliances

Post by Carlos J »

Lots of waffling before the point. :roll: A standard topic of local radio, and hey, this is 'Open Chat'. As per, I'm a Freeview chap, and only ever had NTL as a pay TV service. Setanta and Boxnation online. Everything else I can find and watch if needed. Streams for boxing and football, streams for TV and films. It ain't hard though sometimes live gets tougher, been playing streamed boxing since was here and longer. But that is for another topic or not.

Anyway, Some old chums moan about my TV, A Samsung, CRT, 28" screen, still on its rest with a little Freview box under. They have commented that it does have a good picture compared to their massive HDs. Though mostly watch stuff on monitor anyway.

So after that shite, do you have old electrical items still soldiering on and will replace when they die, or do you need to buy new?

As said, I will replace it when it dies, I have no need nor desire for a 50 incher in my living room until I need one.

Moved to Partridgeland in June 2012. Still got and still working as at January 2018:

Samsung - TV
Lec - Fridge
Frigidaire - Freezer
Indesit - cooker. Oven has now fucked (03/18) though the rest still working. Waiting on a new fella, a little Beko.

Do you twist or stick on electricals?
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Zambo

Re: Still Using Old Electical Appliances

Post by Zambo »

Still got a cassette player which I listen to my Dire Strait Money for Nothing Tape on when I'm on exercise bike. The first four songs on that album are ideal for different speeds and gets me through 20 mins without boredom.

Samsung tv x 2 (46 ins and 22 ins) and dvd
Virgin Media Tivo for tv
Hotpoint Washing Machine
Zannusi fridge
Zanussi freezer
Stoves oven (20 years old and still going well)
Vaillant boiler

If I get a good appliance I tend to stick with it, and when it's time to change go for same company, although washing machine is only one year old and playing up. They want £120 to come in the front door. I have never had extended warranty as previous machines have gone on for years.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

I use my great-grandad's penis pump
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Zambo wrote:Still got a cassette player which I listen to my Dire Strait Money for Nothing Tape on when I'm on exercise bike. The first four songs on that album are ideal for different speeds and gets me through 20 mins without boredom.

Samsung tv x 2 (46 ins and 22 ins) and dvd
Virgin Media Tivo for tv
Hotpoint Washing Machine
Zannusi fridge
Zanussi freezer
Stoves oven (20 years old and still going well)
Vaillant boiler

If I get a good appliance I tend to stick with it, and when it's time to change go for same company, although washing machine is only one year old and playing up. They want £120 to come in the front door. I have never had extended warranty as previous machines have gone on for years.

Top old cassette tales, my old Mod mate, Less so old not so top new tales about Tivo. ;)

A washing machine is the only thing I rent, not a lot of use for an old fella which works and can downgrade on price when neded. Just can't be arsed if it went wrong.

Brand loyalty will stay till it gets fucked for most.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I used to be up on tech stuff until I realised they are taking us all for cunts with models being classed as obsolete after about two years.

The old family telly as a kid lasted for about 20 years with the odd replacement of the red valve which made everyone's face go green when if went. You could usually get it working again by lifting up the right hand side of the box and banging it back down on the floor but occasionally an engineer was needed to fix it.

The old man had an Hotpoint Ice Diamond since about 1960 which finally packed in about 2005 when the spring on the freezer compartment broke so the whole fridge became a freezer , but was other wise still OK.

As far as tellies go these days, I hardly watch one, even if I try and tend to do most stuff online so only have a basic 32" sat there doing fuck all most of the time bar the news early in the morning.

It's mainly phones computers and electronic devices these days which you need to keep up with but I think they've slowly and surely got us all into the mindset that if anything lasts over two years it's archaic.

That said I've still got a Vax I bought in 1994 which is still going strong but fuck all else has lasted.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Agreed if you get stuff and it laasts, m4rk. So what about your err white goods? Old fellas still going on or new? Err, and agreed maybe a missus would want new stuff more often. ;) Women and their kitchens and that #mettoo

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Carlos J wrote:Agreed if you get stuff and it laasts, m4rk. So what about your err white goods? Old fellas still going on or new? Err, and agreed maybe a missus would want new stuff more often. ;) Women and their kitchens and that #mettoo

Well from my own point of view, I've changed the fridge twice in the last five years after both broke down for no reason , and the same with the washing machine. When I was with my missus it was a new one every six months , or certainly felt like it.

Kettle the same. Used to us Russell Hobbs stainless kettles for yonks until the last one I bought broke down too soon so it's now asda specials for a tenner which seem to work just as good. Chest freezer has now worked for about ten years and I'm fucked if I can remember what make as it came from a place round here called Borsch Electrical who sell you one with a small dent in the side for a knockdown price - but when it goes pop I'll check the make and go with them again.

We've all been slowly conditioned not to complain when things last five minutes and naturally just go and get another one. The older generation (which is now me :( ) would never have put up with this as they expected longevity from their appliances.

House radios are now mostly DAB and suddenly now suffer from no reception problems again for no reason.

One thing I do need is a decent tape player as I've got hundreds of tapes I never play on the grounds that I can't. I have an old AKAI thing from the 80's which was top tech in it's day and would probably still work if I could be arsed to try. I should really have sorted this before but apart from rare stuff I have obtained the majority of the originals on digital.

Oh and I'm sure there's an old reel to reel boxed up somewhere in the loft :)

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

From what I believe Samsung and LG are worst stuff if they go wrong. If they dont they usually last for yonks but when they do then forget about it.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Last year I was clearng out stuff in the loft, and threw out a Sony music centre and Sony TV, both of which were bought in 1986, and both of which still worked over 30 years later. And a record player from the 1960s which I had bought some time this century.
Roy IN!!

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

Even if you want to try to repair when something goes wrong, manufacturers only make spare parts for a limited time. You are then left hoping that a generic part will fit, or can be adapted to the appliance.

Just realised I sound like my grandad. :(
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Darkyboy wrote:Even if you want to try to repair when something goes wrong, manufacturers only make spare parts for a limited time. You are then left hoping that a generic part will fit, or can be adapted to the appliance.

There used to be an electrical shop down the road, with one of those blokes who wore a brown cotton work-coat over his clothes

You could take stuff in and he would fix it there and then in about five minutes, usually with a bit of soldering.

Then he’d say, it’s not worth charging you for that.

So you’d end up buying some light bulbs or something you didn’t need, just to give him some money.
Roy IN!!

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

Reg wrote:
Darkyboy wrote:Even if you want to try to repair when something goes wrong, manufacturers only make spare parts for a limited time. You are then left hoping that a generic part will fit, or can be adapted to the appliance.

There used to be an electrical shop down the road, with one of those blokes who wore a brown cotton work-coat over his clothes

You could take stuff in and he would fix it there and then in about five minutes, usually with a bit of soldering.

Then he’d say, it’s not worth charging you for that.

So you’d end up buying some light bulbs or something you didn’t need, just to give him some money.

Quid pro quo in action. Light bulbs that you probably didn't need and would never use :)
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

A light bulb moment
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Reg wrote:Last year I was clearng out stuff in the loft, and threw out a Sony music centre and Sony TV, both of which were bought in 1986, and both of which still worked over 30 years later. And a record player from the 1960s which I had bought some time this century.

I'll raise your game with a Ferguson music centre compared to your Sony piece of shit. :P

Another couple of cubic metres of archived loftspace reveals a Danssette record player, Rolf Harris Stylophone and K-tel Record Sector.

As far as I'm concerned , that's checkmate :D

I doubt you've got anything left in that loft of yours to compete with these gems that don't hang badly off a Christmas tree.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

I've still got one of these:

Sadly it's covered in paint now as I only use it when I'm decorating or doing DIY.

Works as if it had just come out of it's box.