Car accident - who's liable

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
theleader82

Car accident - who's liable

Post by theleader82 »

I was reversing out of a space in a car park. Someone else was reversing behind me and we collided. I thought they would have seen me reversing and stopped. I hit them at 90 degree angle all though it's only a scrape and paint damage. Am I solely liable or is it 50 50. They weren't stationary when I hit them.
Man U and rangers

m4rkb

Re: Car accident - who's liable

Post by m4rkb »

Tell the Insurer you had stopped and the other bloke ran into you. He'll lie as well and say the same then hopefully it'll go knock for knock

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

You could always ask to see if the car park had any CCTV footage. The car that moved second would be to blame .
They should have checked before proceeding. I assume both cars had working reverse lights, and all windows/mirrors were clear.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

On yer bike Buster
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

theleader82 wrote:I was reversing out of a space in a car park. Someone else was reversing behind me and we collided. I thought they would have seen me reversing and stopped. I hit them at 90 degree angle all though it's only a scrape and paint damage. Am I solely liable or is it 50 50. They weren't stationary when I hit them.

Were you using your mirrors and taking adequate precaution when reversing? If you put on your statement that you "thought" the other driver would stop, you're pretty much accepting liability for the collision. CCTV may make a difference but then again may not and it would come down to your word against the other driver's. In which case it may take a long while to get liability from the other driver. If on reporting the incident to your insurer, you decide to claim the other driver was at fault, they could make a counter claim. You could then be liable which means you'll have to pay for the costs of repair to your own and the other driver's vehicle.

You need to report it is the upshot and see what they advise.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Both guilty and both looking at a lengthy custodial sentence.
Roy IN!!

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

m4rkb wrote:Tell the Insurer you had stopped and the other bloke ran into you. He'll lie as well and say the same then hopefully it'll go knock for knock

I wouldn't advise it. If leader-o goes and bullshits them and they find out which they will, he'll be done for making a fraudulent claim and face prosecution. If there were witnesses and the camera spots that leader o was reversing like a twat when he has already reported the incident falsely, he'll be done.

Sorry leader-o, get your story right and don't lie like m4rk's advising you to do. mark the mod has experience of working in the motor insurance industry, maybe he could offer you advice about how to proceed.

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

Insist that there was a strong smell of alcohol and cannabis from the other car, and there were lots of photos of under age girls on the dashboard, plus the other driver was wearing a jim'll fix it badge and listening to Gary glitter.
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

kancutlawns wrote:
m4rkb wrote:Tell the Insurer you had stopped and the other bloke ran into you. He'll lie as well and say the same then hopefully it'll go knock for knock

I wouldn't advise it. If leader-o goes and bullshits them and they find out which they will, he'll be done for making a fraudulent claim and face prosecution. If there were witnesses and the camera spots that leader o was reversing like a twat when he has already reported the incident falsely, he'll be done.

Sorry leader-o, get your story right and don't lie like m4rk's advising you to do. mark the mod has experience of working in the motor insurance industry, maybe he could offer you advice about how to proceed.

err.... it was very tongue in cheek comment but past experience tells me drivers lie through their teeth about accidents and never face the consequences of deliberately lying to an insurer.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

m4rkb wrote:
kancutlawns wrote:

err.... it was very tongue in cheek comment but past experience tells me drivers lie through their teeth about accidents and never face the consequences of deliberately lying to an insurer.

:lol: I was thinking about leadero, he's not the most astute one on here and I really don't want him to end up in Winston Green serving a two year term for fraud.

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

Who is this Winston Green he could end up in?
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Darkyboy wrote:Who is this Winston Green he could end up in?

:)

Freudian slip, my Lawns, or something you would like to expand upon?
Roy IN!!

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Yup, HMP Winson Green. :)

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

beingsoblase wrote:Insist that there was a strong smell of alcohol and cannabis from the other car, and there were lots of photos of under age girls on the dashboard, plus the other driver was wearing a jim'll fix it badge and listening to Gary glitter.

or even worse had Far-Right literature on his back seat like Britain First. They'll throw away the key.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:
beingsoblase wrote:Insist that there was a strong smell of alcohol and cannabis from the other car, and there were lots of photos of under age girls on the dashboard, plus the other driver was wearing a jim'll fix it badge and listening to Gary glitter.

or even worse had Far-Right literature on his back seat like Britain First. They'll throw away the key.

Of course! That would do it!
And he was listening to a Jon gaunt podcast for good measure!
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."