My Mum Just Died

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
tennisman

Re: My Mum Just Died

Post by tennisman »

Glazed Earthenware Horse wrote:Tennisman, thank you so much. That has helped me a great deal. I thought this morning might be better...but the grief is still a baby in swaddling clothes. I checked my phone and found my Mum's phone number in the menu. I collapsed in a sobbing heap. I'd always dreaded my Mum dying. When it happens it's as bad as you knew it would be, but not. If that makes sense. I envisaged my self after Mum's demise for so long, wandering around shopping centres wailing. Obviously I haven't done that. Perhaps because my Mum was such a lover of shopping. Keep looking at the old photos...and one more recent. Her 80th birthday in Scarborough. The place she loved the most. Image
tennisman wrote:Very sorry to hear this Horse.

I can relate.

This evening, as I have done for every Friday evening since April 21st last year, I track the time as on that evening, it was my Mum's last night.

She died in the early hours and as agreed with my Sister, she rang me. The phone going at 2am meant one thing and even though we knew it was coming, the shock of the reality was like being taken into some sort of parallel universe.

I'd been with her all afternoon but the carers believed she would last the weekend and I drove back up to the NW from Cheltenham, as I'd done more times than could be counted in the previous 6 weeks. Sadly, it was not to be.

She lived a good life, albeit with a tough childhood. Actually, from the age my father died, when she was 50, although she grieved him terribly, she was an incredible role model to anyone on how to carry on and make the most of your life. Effectively, she created a 2nd life for herself in the last 43 years from 50 to 93. Whilst she gave us everything, if there is one daily mantra I might be heard saying out loud these last few months, it would probably be, 'Come on, get on with it. What's next?'. Despite a few bad situations, she never gave up and kept going to the end.

She would be the first to tell me to get on with things and not be held back in grieving for her.

Thing is, when we lose our parents, it's such a deep thing. I have experienced emotions and feelings like I would never have imagined. My Sister said the other day, 'She's with us everywhere, isn't she?. I replied, 'She's in our very fibres'.

Thankfully for her and us, the care she received in Cheltenham Hospital and a local care home (St. Faiths) was outstanding.

You have my deepest condolences. May she RIP.

Via here, I'm sure I speak for many others, if going by the other posts above, if I can help you in any way, just shout.

What a great photo of Mum, Horse.

Hang in there. You WILL be okay but it's going to take time.

Now is also the time to use the help of others; like family and close friends.

Don't think twice about doing it either.

If you feel like sobbing some more, then let it out.

I've found that the people I've talked to about Mum have almost ALL opened up with stories of their own.

Sadly, you are in that club that just about all of us becomes a member of, even though you never applied.

Very best wishes.

caveman

Post by caveman »

Very sad news horse.

Think of the happy good times you had together.

It will take a bit of time but the sadness you feel just now will eventually go a way.

Glazed Earthenware Horse
Winner - POTY 2012!!!!

Post by Glazed Earthenware Horse »

Thanks to every one here for the kind messages and thoughts. Still is awful. Enough however. I've got to get through it. But nice words and support helps. Funeral in a couple of weeks.
Talkforum's Official Crazy Larger than life Character!

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Glazed Earthenware Horse wrote:Thanks to every one here for the kind messages and thoughts. Still is awful. Enough however. I've got to get through it. But nice words and support helps. Funeral in a couple of weeks.

All the best Horse,stay strong :!:
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

delboy1983 wrote:
Glazed Earthenware Horse wrote:Thanks to every one here for the kind messages and thoughts. Still is awful. Enough however. I've got to get through it. But nice words and support helps. Funeral in a couple of weeks.

All the best Horse,stay strong :!:

Yes, hang in there Horse.

Dreadful time for you but you will get through it.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

Glazed Earthenware Horse wrote:Not pleasantly either. Weeks in a care home...I use the word 'care' loosely. One of the carers was built like a brick shite house and cast member of Prisoner Cell Block H. She died in Scunthorpe General Hospital at 6.29pm this evening. I'm not sure why I'm telling you this. She was emaciated, her mouth and lips turned black, she was 81. Born on October 21st, 1936. I am now Motherless. :o (Thought it best to post this here rather than in pandy) :cry:

How are you doing Horse?

Glazed Earthenware Horse
Winner - POTY 2012!!!!

Hey Tennisman. Up and down I'm afraid. Funeral delayed until 16th Feb due to backlog. Crematorium, followed by wake in her home village. Not looking forward to it, but I am, if that makes sense.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Glazed Earthenware Horse wrote:Hey Tennisman. Up and down I'm afraid. Funeral delayed until 16th Feb due to backlog. Crematorium, followed by wake in her home village. Not looking forward to it, but I am, if that makes sense.

You take care of yourself mate.

That is one thing your Mum would have definitely wanted.

All the best.

Glazed Earthenware Horse
Winner - POTY 2012!!!!

Cheers Steve. Hope you are okay health wise.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Take care, GEH. A situation I know is coming soon to me and dreading it. Post here, vent or not, post or not, you have the support of all here on TF.

You know that, so don't be alone.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Glazed Earthenware Horse
Winner - POTY 2012!!!!

Thanks Carlos. PM me if you need support. I will try and visit more frequent like. But Perhaps after the funeral. Preparing a speech and I'm the only family member getting up to speak. But it's something I need to do. All the best mate.

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

All the best GEH
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Glazed Earthenware Horse
Winner - POTY 2012!!!!

Cheers Del.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

Glazed Earthenware Horse wrote:Hey Tennisman. Up and down I'm afraid. Funeral delayed until 16th Feb due to backlog. Crematorium, followed by wake in her home village. Not looking forward to it, but I am, if that makes sense.

Hang in there, Horse.

Getting used to your new 'normal' will take time.

We are coming up to a year (Feb 11) when my Mum called my Sister at 6am telling her she had been sick. It was the start of the end.

Anniversaries will come up and resonate and cut deeply for some time - it's normal.

You just have to keep putting the next foot forward and keep going.

Glazed Earthenware Horse
Winner - POTY 2012!!!!

Thank you tennisman. And will never forget your kindness and words. It has helped me a lot. Worst time of all is in the morning, because a Mum became more vulnerable, and before the 'care home'--she would phone me religiously at 8am. And then there are dreams in which Mum always appears. Which I know is inevitable. Awful dream last night. When she was dying in Scunthorpe General..when I took a break to have a vape outside the main entrance--there was a recorded message ---it was the voice of a boy asking people not to smoke..'This is a smoke free Hospital...' In the dream I was in the Chapel of Rest looking for Mum's body and I saw the boy in a recording booth speaking those words. So disturbing, I had to get out of bed and make myself a cup of strong tea. Although stronger would have been better. I suppose it's just all got to get out...one way or another. Dreams do help. Thanks for your help my friend. And I know how hard it will be for you in the next two weeks. .