Switching Banks?

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
LordLaret

Switching Banks?

Post by LordLaret »

Hello,

I am hoping this is the right area for such but am thinking of switching my bank. Recently my bank (Natwest) has decided to shut down the branch in my local town and move the place where I can discuss my account with them to a town an hour away or failing that, go to the Post office. How easy is it to switch bank accounts? What would I need? I have been with Natwest since 1999 but now they decided to shut the local branch, I think I'd like to take my business elsewhere. We have a Nationwide, HSBC, Lloyds, Satander and Coventry. What would people suggest?
"My Profile Signatures Were Crap, So I Got Rid Of Them."

kancutlawns

Re: Switching Banks?

Post by kancutlawns »

Does your bank have a telephone or online banking service, LL? I'm not sure how easy it is to open an account with another bank (closing I guess is reasonably easy although if your existing bank is happy with you, they'll probably want you to stay as a customer).

Are you happy with the bank otherwise? I think it's easier to move banks now but would this affect your credit rating? Sorry, I'm asking more questions than you did.

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

kancutlawns wrote:Does your bank have a telephone or online banking service, LL? I'm not sure how easy it is to open an account with another bank (closing I guess is reasonably easy although if your existing bank is happy with you, they'll probably want you to stay as a customer).

Are you happy with the bank otherwise? I think it's easier to move banks now but would this affect your credit rating? Sorry, I'm asking more questions than you did.

I have both telephone banking, mobile banking and online banking. The reason I am also thinking of switching is that I've got a savingsd account in Nationwide and am seriously unhappy with how Natwest are like: Just go to the next town over, which for me on a bus is an hour plus away or go to the post office and that doesn't strike me as customer friendly at all. Is switching banks going to affect the credit rating though? I was unaware of that.

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

Switching banks won't effect your credit rating. Use a site like MSE to find out best deals on switching. It's dead easy to do and you can make some money by taking a new account offer from the bank you move your business to.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/bankin ... k-accounts
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Banks are finished. PPI fucked them to death. An alternative to stepping foot in a Post Office is to kill yourself.
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Banks are finished. PPI fucked them to death. An alternative to stepping foot in a Post Office is to kill yourself.

I find it odd that Natwest were like: Go to the Post oOffice or go to the next town over. Well I don't want to go to the Post Office to discuss my account details and the buses aren't the best here in the Midlands. Also the whole RBS being bailed out by the Government didn't help them out!

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

Lou Grant wrote:Switching banks won't effect your credit rating. Use a site like MSE to find out best deals on switching. It's dead easy to do and you can make some money by taking a new account offer from the bank you move your business to.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/bankin ... k-accounts

I may have to do that, I saw on my local Nationwide that they are offering £200 to swtich over but since I got a savings account, do not know if that would work, will have to check!

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Banks are finished. PPI fucked them to death. An alternative to stepping foot in a Post Office is to kill yourself.

Do you keep your savings under your hearse, my Alex?

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

Horses for courses, if you need a branch, choose one of the big 3 (don't class NatWest/rbs in that)

If purse service and U.K. Call centres, first direct are very good

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Barclays, Lloyds and HSBC?

Is TSB Bank any good, henry?

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

henrycrs wrote:Horses for courses, if you need a branch, choose one of the big 3 (don't class NatWest/rbs in that)

If purse service and U.K. Call centres, first direct are very good

Yeah, this whole debacle has put me off of Natwest for good now. I may pop into my local Nationwide Friday and see what I can have done.

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

kancutlawns wrote:Barclays, Lloyds and HSBC?

Was a pile of shit before it merged with Lloyds, don't know now it's standalone now

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

henrycrs wrote:
kancutlawns wrote:Barclays, Lloyds and HSBC?

Was a pile of shit before it merged with Lloyds, don't know now it's standalone now

Came across as a bunch of cunts when I dad tried to apply for a new mortgage having been with Lloyds TSB until the two split up a few years ago.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Your money is "safe" hee hee I'm a reinforced piggy bank hee hee honestly the government wouldn't lie to you it's safe it's safe!
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Reg

Post by Reg »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Your money is "safe" hee hee I'm a reinforced piggy bank hee hee honestly the government wouldn't lie to you it's safe it's safe!

What a silly comment.

Grow up.
Roy IN!!