Holiday Thread

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
theleader82

Re: Holiday Thread

Post by theleader82 »

Roy Twing wrote:
theleader82 wrote:It was quite windy high up so I'd tend to put a fleece on. I like going there this time of year though. I did scafell pike for the first time on Monday , that was a tough one. Glad I did it though

I did Scaffell last year, - it was a challenging trek - particularly getting back down again I thought.
I did Carrantoohil earlier this year (to complete the 4 highest peaks in each country) and I must say, of the 4 Carrantoohil was by far the hardest.

I’d like to do carrantoohil, and the highest peak in Northern Ireland , one of the mourne mountains. I’m not sure whether to take the ferry , or fly and hire a car
Man U and rangers

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

theleader82 wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
theleader82 wrote:It was quite windy high up so I'd tend to put a fleece on. I like going there this time of year though. I did scafell pike for the first time on Monday , that was a tough one. Glad I did it though

I did Scaffell last year, - it was a challenging trek - particularly getting back down again I thought.
I did Carrantoohil earlier this year (to complete the 4 highest peaks in each country) and I must say, of the 4 Carrantoohil was by far the hardest.

I’d like to do carrantoohil, and the highest peak in Northern Ireland , one of the mourne mountains. I’m not sure whether to take the ferry , or fly and hire a car

We flew & hired a car, but had some fraud issues with the car hire transaction, - personally, I'd have preferred to take the ferry & my own car.
To be honest, I wouldn't try carrantoohil again if you paid me - but if you do, don't attempt it without a guide.
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

A couple of horseshoe walks that are challenging yet enjoyable

Fairfield
Grissdale

And if you fancy a proper old fashioned hike up to the moon, Skiddaw

finchman

Post by finchman »

Im off to the Western Isles next spring,i will be doing the old 'Calmac hopscotch'. Oban-Barra-Eriskay-Uists-Harris-Lewis-Ullapool.
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

I’d settle for a weekend in a Yarmouth bedsit at the moment

Shedboy

Post by Shedboy »

Well, that's next year's holiday booked already. Four nights in New York then Vegas for eleven nights.
I hate my job so much these days that I need something to look forward to.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Vegas again, Shedboy. 8) Did you get a good deal in NY as remember chat from last year? Might make it there in 2018 or definitely the year after, err 2019.

No time for Lisbon late May?
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

finchman

Post by finchman »

Azores in October.......yacht sorted from Lisbon. :D
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

No holidays this year. Hopefully visiting family over the summer (it'll be almost 18 months since I last saw them) and seeing friends.
British coastlines will be unbearable this summer. Yikes.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

theleader82 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:03 pm
Roy Twing wrote:

I'd probably fly - you could no doubt get a cheap deal especially now - and the just hire a car in NI once there. It's a small country and I think Belfast to Derry is about 2hrs or so e.g Dundee to Glasgow (not that you'll know that journey) but anyhoos, go for it.

We went in 2017 for 3 nights and loved it. I've never been somewhere that's so close in culture to Scotland than there, and not just the obviouss flegs or Old Firm thing ; but the buildings, accent, culture, and wee cavemen looking people like we have in Scotland too. :D

The people are brilliant too and its still a bit off the beaten track regarding tourism, you'll find more tourists probably in Torshavn (probably less of them, but they'll stick out more) than you see in Belfast city centre.

You'll see tourists, but its nothing like Edinbrugh, Dublin or London for them. Do one of the political tours (first half you'll go up the Falls with an ex IRA prisoner, then transfer on to the Shankhill and taken down there by a UDF/UDA member) too really really good. I did it and it opened my eyes a bit, and it was good to broaden the mind a bit e.g it was interesting hearing the Unionist side of view. The most depressing thing about it, was the pubs in both sides of the divide had folk outside smoking etc and even though they were divided by a wall and political cause, the banter was exactly the same! They knew we were tourists and both sides were inviting us in for a pint etc and shouting Hello in French, Spanish, etc.

Go for it, its great.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

You might think air fares would be a bargain now.

End 2019 we booked Manchester-Auckland 2 business class tickets to travel October 2020. Obviously didn't happen.
2 tickets £5350

Been trying to replicate them for the same period 2021. Cheapest I can find about £8200
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

kevin04 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:58 pm
theleader82 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:03 pm
Roy Twing wrote:

I'd probably fly - you could no doubt get a cheap deal especially now - and the just hire a car in NI once there. It's a small country and I think Belfast to Derry is about 2hrs or so e.g Dundee to Glasgow (not that you'll know that journey) but anyhoos, go for it.

We went in 2017 for 3 nights and loved it. I've never been somewhere that's so close in culture to Scotland than there, and not just the obviouss flegs or Old Firm thing ; but the buildings, accent, culture, and wee cavemen looking people like we have in Scotland too. :D

The people are brilliant too and its still a bit off the beaten track regarding tourism, you'll find more tourists probably in Torshavn (probably less of them, but they'll stick out more) than you see in Belfast city centre.

You'll see tourists, but its nothing like Edinbrugh, Dublin or London for them. Do one of the political tours (first half you'll go up the Falls with an ex IRA prisoner, then transfer on to the Shankhill and taken down there by a UDF/UDA member) too really really good. I did it and it opened my eyes a bit, and it was good to broaden the mind a bit e.g it was interesting hearing the Unionist side of view. The most depressing thing about it, was the pubs in both sides of the divide had folk outside smoking etc and even though they were divided by a wall and political cause, the banter was exactly the same! They knew we were tourists and both sides were inviting us in for a pint etc and shouting Hello in French, Spanish, etc.

Go for it, its great.
I was a bit worried about going to Northern Ireland as I have a bit of a posh middle class English accent. I was a bit scared they don’t like us . Same in Southern Ireland.
Man U and rangers

subsub

Post by subsub »

theleader82 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:59 pmI was a bit worried about going to Northern Ireland as I have a bit of a posh middle class English accent. I was a bit scared they don’t like us . Same in Southern Ireland.
:!:
WOKE AND PROUD

gheko

Post by gheko »

Probably be best not to call it southern Ireland.

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

We decided that we needed something to look forward to; depression was setting in.
So for beginning of September, a week in Madrid - hotel booked. Flight booked. Dog boarding booked.
If we can't go we'll cancel the hotel [up tp two days beforehand] and scrap the flight [booked early with dirt cheap prices].
Then find somewhere to visit in UK; possibly Wales or NE England.