Esoteric things you like...

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Re: Esoteric things you like...

Post by Steve Hunt »

Hillman avenger wrote:
shabbado wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:
carcinogen wrote:The haunting note of the freight train as it passed through Columbus, Kansas and sounded its horn every morning at 5am and woke me up only for me to turn over in my slumber and resume my sleep.

The horn on trains in the US is so evocative.

My peers may remember Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" which had one track which was simply a recording at a railroad crossing, and had the horn sound of an approaching train, the warning bells on the crossing, and then the train going into the distance.

The conclusion of "Caroline, No" can seem bewildering, especially to first-time listeners. The sound of an oncoming train accompanied by barking dogs might be confusing in the moment, but as the train approaches and accelerates, the barking dogs chasing after it, the metaphor becomes clear: It represents the loss of innocence after your first heartbreak.
Beach Boys 'Pet Sounds'

What's that???
Are you serious?

Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums. Produced in the same period as Sergeant Pepper. Masterminded by Brian Wilson. There was an excellent documentary about on the BBC classic albums series last year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Sounds
I don't think shabs is being serious, Hillman.

Agree with your opinion - superb album that unfortunately made Brian Wilson quite literally mad.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Steve Hunt wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:
shabbado wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:
carcinogen wrote:The haunting note of the freight train as it passed through Columbus, Kansas and sounded its horn every morning at 5am and woke me up only for me to turn over in my slumber and resume my sleep.

My peers may remember Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" which had one track which was simply a recording at a railroad crossing, and had the horn sound of an approaching train, the warning bells on the crossing, and then the train going into the distance.

The conclusion of "Caroline, No" can seem bewildering, especially to first-time listeners. The sound of an oncoming train accompanied by barking dogs might be confusing in the moment, but as the train approaches and accelerates, the barking dogs chasing after it, the metaphor becomes clear: It represents the loss of innocence after your first heartbreak.
Beach Boys 'Pet Sounds'

What's that???
Are you serious?

Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums. Produced in the same period as Sergeant Pepper. Masterminded by Brian Wilson. There was an excellent documentary about on the BBC classic albums series last year.

Agree with your opinion - superb album that unfortunately made Brian Wilson quite literally mad.
Thanks Steve.

Wilson is still touring. Going to see him in Glasgow later in the year.
A joyless arsehole.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

shabbado wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:
shabbado wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:

Beach Boys 'Pet Sounds'

What's that???
Are you serious?

Thanks Steve.

Wilson is still touring. Going to see him in Glasgow later in the year.
That will be a good gig, shabs

It's a miracle he's still with us & (although a bit odd) seems to have recovered from his madness.

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

It will be a terrible gig.
He is a shambles!! And utterly mental.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Sid Pervcat wrote:It will be a terrible gig.
Yeah, but he's playing in Glasgow, Sid

No one will notice.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Sid Pervcat wrote:It will be a terrible gig.
I met him once, many years ago.

My friend and I are both big fans, and he was saying something to Brian, probably about Smile, when he suddenly asked: "What year is it?"

It reminded me of when he was on a TV chat show and one of the other guests mentioned that his daughter was seven years old.

Brian looked really disturbed by this, and said: "Your daughter is seven inches tall?"

BTW I also saw him do Pet Sounds on the first tour, whenever that was, and it was pretty good.
Roy IN!!

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Reg wrote:when he suddenly asked: "What year is it?"
Sure this wasn't Kankers?
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Reg

Post by Reg »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:
Reg wrote:when he suddenly asked: "What year is it?"
Sure this wasn't Kankers?
Kankers was there all right - did a cracking cheerleader pom-pom routine during "Be True To Your School".
Roy IN!!