Peterloo

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
Petingo

Peterloo

Post by Petingo »

I am going to see this new Mike Leigh movie tonight.

Peterloo is an almost forgotten massacre and it is good to see it being brought back into public consciousness.

Working people being cut down by cavalry for having the temerity to demand the vote.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

finchman

Re: Peterloo

Post by finchman »

*Mike Leigh film
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

Reg

Post by Reg »

finchman wrote:*Mike Leigh film

:)

+1
Roy IN!!

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

Made with monies from Amazon. :lol:
There's no poem, just prose.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Marvellous.

Bit long and could have done with an edit....but top notch filum.

The massacre scene was blood curdling.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

To divert from the film for a while; I have been researching the family of one man who was, at the time, a Lancashire magistrate. His activities give an indication of the thinking of the ‘ruling’ and wealthy classes at that time.

The meeting that ended as Peterloo was well publicised, using initially newspaper notices around south Lancashire, and then by word of mouth.
The Lancashire magistrates then published their own notice warning that the proposed meeting was illegal and that people would attend “at their peril”.
The subject of my study, who signed the magistrates’s warning, had previously written to the Home Office stating that public meetings were; “so demoralising and terrifying to his majesty’s loyal subjects that under whatever pretext they may be called, they ought to be suppressed." There seems little doubt that the meeting was going to end with violence, especially if the other authorities had the same attitude as him.
He had, on another occasion, reported to the Home Office, that "the tide of Luddism …….was at length checked by the executions in Lancashire and Cheshire." A very dangerous individual.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

You are a disgrace, you forelock touching, Tory wannabe, Brexit loving Wiganer, you.

In the movie, people walked from all over south Lancs to demand rights for the ordinary working man.

Oldham, Accrington, Rochdale, Salford....you name it.

Including two whom had set out from Wigan at 6 a.m. to be there :x

I couldn’t picture you doing that.

Your martyred ancestors are spinning in their graves :box:

ovechkin8

Post by ovechkin8 »

Petingo wrote:I am going to see this new Mike Leigh movie tonight.

Peterloo is an almost forgotten massacre and it is good to see it being brought back into public consciousness.

Working people being cut down by cavalry for having the temerity to demand the vote.

Forgotten only by those who like Lawns thinks history is an irrelevance. The ruling classes were terrified still of another French style revolution and any mass gatherings were treated as possible centres of revolt. Even strikes well into the nineteenth century were treated as such and take a look at the Llanelli Railway Riot of 1911 where soldiers fired on an unarmed crowd killing two.
'I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses.' Johannes Kepler

Reg

Post by Reg »

Petingo wrote:

You are a disgrace, you forelock touching, Tory wannabe, Brexit loving Wiganer, you.

In the movie, people walked from all over south Lancs to demand rights for the ordinary working man.

Finchman is not working class, Pet.

He is highfalutin Scot who emigrated south to live in feudal splendour in t'posh part of Wigan in a big house with a triple-garage, far from t'masses.

He defends his own class tooth and nail, unlike the pathetic representatives of organised labour today.
Roy IN!!

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Reg wrote:
Petingo wrote:

Finchman is not working class, Pet.

He is highfalutin Scot who emigrated south to live in feudal splendour in t'posh part of Wigan in a big house with a triple-garage, far from t'masses.

He defends his own class tooth and nail, unlike the pathetic representatives of organised labour today.

Ah, that explains his decidedly un-Wiganer attitude to life :lol:

Reg

Post by Reg »

ovechkin8 wrote:

Forgotten only by those who like Lawns thinks history is an irrelevance. The ruling classes were terrified still of another French style revolution and any mass gatherings were treated as possible centres of revolt. Even strikes well into the nineteenth century were treated as such and take a look at the Llanelli Railway Riot of 1911 where soldiers fired on an unarmed crowd killing two.

Churchill was never averse to shooting strikers.
Roy IN!!

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Reg wrote:
ovechkin8 wrote:

Churchill was never averse to shooting strikers.

Indeed. My grandfather who was a railwayman, would never allow the name 'Winston Churchill' to be uttered in the house.
"He sent troops against the South Wales strikers."

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Was Gary Neville involved? Pushing the white working-class male mancunian agenda on behalf of the beleaguered masses?
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

carcinogen wrote:Was Gary Neville involved? Pushing the white working-class male mancunian agenda on behalf of the beleaguered masses?

No

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

A friend of mine is in that fillum, Gary Cargill. He's an Evertovian, like yourself.
He used to go out with Maxine Peake who headlines the fillum.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...