Michael Palin in North Korea - C5

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
Carlos J
Forum Admin

Michael Palin in North Korea - C5

Post by Carlos J »

Only just watched as couldn't on Thursday and good old My5, unlike other channels does not require registration: https://www.my5.tv/michael-palin-in-nor ... a/season-1 :roll:

Know and read enough about the DPRK, and as per other threads on a list to visit with the tourist tours as the only way to do it.

As Palin noted at the start, this was no travelogue, it would be guided and the still sprightly 75 year old Palin would not become a new Otto Warmier.

Interesting choice of entrance via the train via Dangdong, as lots trips fly via Beijing. But that wouldn't have had the disparity scenes crossing the Sino-Korean Friendship Bridge and built up China one side and desolate DPRK the other.

Onto Pyongyang and meet minders, though onboard after Sinuiju, surely? Palin is easy watching and nothing more known than any other video of tourists who have been, even the May Day stuff. Pyongyang looks bewtiful, the people are the people, though lucky to live there as opposed the villages

Palin is personable and says getting outside the capital next episode will hopefully show more the real DPRK, hmm, maybe, maybe not.

But was an interesting enough watch, love the lady traffic wardens. Thanks at the end to Koryo: https://koryogroup.com/ one of a few who do tours. Still want to go sometime. A Carlos 7/10.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

kancutlawns

Re: Michael Palin in North Korea - C5

Post by kancutlawns »

Just downloading the first programme to watch later...

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Simon Reeve in the Med coming up soon old friend.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Just watched it, and extremely interesting it was too. I'm sure that we will see a limited amount of a different side during the course of the series, but I saw some positives from the first episode.

One of his was the classroom Palin visited. Full of well behaved if regimented kids, looking smart in uniform. Polite, well educated, strong goals. No fucking about in class, no yobs hurling pens and pencils at each other, no abusing teachers.

Brainwashed robots or is that an urban myth. I'm sure that there is an argument on both sides, and one of them is that they don't know any different, and that is why they appear positively happy. However, who should denounce or condemn without knowing the full facts.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

My first thoughts on hearing Palin say that the crew would have unique access to NK although their movements would be monitored by the state was “oh here we go”. That said, it looks like it will be a revealing series and I like Michael’s travel series. Watched his previous ones and don’t imagine this will drop below the great man’s standards. Just watching him go to Dondang, on the overnight sleeper to the Chinese side of the border.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

kancutlawns wrote:Simon Reeve in the Med coming up soon old friend.

Good stuff. Still occasionally watch the grest 'Meet the Stans'.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Carlos J wrote:
kancutlawns wrote:Simon Reeve in the Med coming up soon old friend.

Good stuff. Still occasionally watch the grest 'Meet the Stans'.

Try to watch his series in Russia if you get the chance. It’s on the web. Drifting further from Palin’s NK series, did you watch Joanna Lumley in India? Got it on the Sky+ box and have yet to see.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Did catch bits of the Russia one. Didn't warch Lumley nor her Silk Road.one currently on. Not a big fan of her.

Jock Bauer

Post by Jock Bauer »

Seen alot of Palin's travels. Some work better than other IMO. Thought this was quite superb. I find NK rather intriguing so this was right up my street. The people seem very nice tbh and Palin has the knack of befriending anyone with his cheeky chappy grin. Even asked a couple of edgy questions to his 'guides'.

Amazing how there's no cars on the roads. And yeah, the lady traffic wardens were rather cute. Can't imagine that in Oxford Street.

I've heard there's some really bootiful scenery in NK so hope he gets out into the sticks a bit next time.

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

I enjoyed it, although I couldn't help wondering if certain scenes were being stage-managed for Palin by the N.Koreans.

Another series I enjoyed recently was Guy Martin's series on Russia. I liked the Chernobyl episode so much I watched it 3 times.
I really am a biatch

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

LaaLaa wrote:I enjoyed it, although I couldn't help wondering if certain scenes were being stage-managed for Palin by the N.Koreans.

Another series I enjoyed recently was Guy Martin's series on Russia. I liked the Chernobyl episode so much I watched it 3 times.

It was stage managed but it did show a side of the North Koreans we don’t really see in the west. Palin as affable as always. Loved the view when he went up the 170m tower with the hi tech structures to the west and the beautifully coloured Soviet apartment blocks to the east. Loved it. He’s going to the countryside in Thursday’s show.

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Seemingly has words tonight with one of the NK goons that are keeping an eye on him
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Enjoyed the second part, showed more of the country and a very queer empty airport. Palin got bits out of his guides and hope they are ok and not sent off to to reeducation camps.

Added not a lot new but still always fascinating and again piqued interest to go there. Don't want a few DPRK beers and become a new Otto Warmbier though, one to still ponder.