What TV series should I watch?

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
Rabble

Re: What TV series should I watch?

Post by Rabble »

colinthewarriormonkey wrote:
Rabble wrote:If you watched Breaking Bad then watch Better Call Saul, the prequel on Netflix. Slow burner but done well, now starting its third series.

There are also worse ways of spending an hour or so that watching Peter MacDougall's "Just a Boys Game". Remember when this was first shown in the 70s. Frankie Miller is superb.

EDIT: link

I saw the first half of series 1 and sort of lost interest - perhaps I should give it another go.

Well, Gustavo Fring has shown up.

colinthewarriormonkey

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

Rabble wrote:
Rabble wrote:If you watched Breaking Bad then watch Better Call Saul, the prequel on Netflix. Slow burner but done well, now starting its third series.

There are also worse ways of spending an hour or so that watching Peter MacDougall's "Just a Boys Game". Remember when this was first shown in the 70s. Frankie Miller is superb.

EDIT: link

I saw the first half of series 1 and sort of lost interest - perhaps I should give it another go.

Well, Gustavo Fring has shown up.

OOOOOHHHH !!! Interesting.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

deisegirl

Post by deisegirl »

Thought of another couple:.

The Knick - very grim but fascinating. It waa only confirmed relatively recently that there won't be a third series but the two series can stand as they are.

Fargo - third series has just started. First and second series are set in different time periods with different storyline so one is not necessarily dependent on the other and both have a great cast.
Saggers is alive??!!
Talksport is dark and full of errors.
Wilbur did nuffink wrong!

colinthewarriormonkey

deisegirl wrote:Thought of another couple:.

The Knick - very grim but fascinating. It waa only confirmed relatively recently that there won't be a third series but the two series can stand as they are.

Fargo - third series has just started. First and second series are set in different time periods with different storyline so one is not necessarily dependent on the other and both have a great cast.

I'm watching the first series of Fargo when I go to the gym - it's great.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

rorymac

Post by rorymac »

I only recently got Netflix and watching stuff other than documentaries so I'm pleased to have an opinion on things I only heard about before :

So far : Breaking bad .. fantastic
The OA .. fantastic
Strange Things .. can imagine it was great at one time tbf, special effects dated. very good though. Line of Duty : The short ac12 guy hmmm at the acting and his Irish boss <-- that bloke boils my piss. Apart from that it's very good tbf
Broadchurch : the recent series anyway .. no and lost interest in whodunnit what with all the pc nonsense

Can't think of anything to recommend myself but thanks for this thread fellas.

Oh not got round to it yet but No Offense on 4od was recommended to me by someone who knows their tv stuff.

colinthewarriormonkey

rorymac wrote:I only recently got Netflix and watching stuff other than documentaries so I'm pleased to have an opinion on things I only heard about before :

The OA .. fantastic
Strange Things .. can imagine it was great at one time tbf, special effects dated. very good though. Line of Duty : The short ac12 guy hmmm at the acting and his Irish boss <-- that bloke boils my piss. Apart from that it's very good tbf
Broadchurch : the recent series anyway .. no and lost interest in whodunnit what with all the pc nonsense

Oh not got round to it yet but No Offense on 4od was recommended to me by someone who knows their tv stuff.

Stranger things was only made last year.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

rorymac

Post by rorymac »

Yikes you're right .. I know nothing about special effects if that's even the right term tbf

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

To be fair to Rory the whole premise of the show was to be as authentically 80s as possible, so you could judge it a success.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Singing The Blues

Post by Singing The Blues »

Is it better than the movie which, for me, was very ordinary?

colinthewarriormonkey

Singing The Blues wrote:

Is it better than the movie which, for me, was very ordinary?

Much better - I thought the film was OK but nothing more and it hasn't really stuck in my memory.

The cast in this is very good, Billy Bob Thornton is excellent in it.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

The new series of 'Veep' is now out on Sky Atlantic.
It started out as roughly an Americanised 'The Thick Of It' & Armando Ianucci is still the executive producer, but like the US version of 'The Office' its ploughing (or 'plowing') its own furrow now.
Probably the most politically incorrect TV show ever.

Funny as fuck. Highly recommended.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

deisegirl

Post by deisegirl »

Basualdo wrote:To be fair to Rory the whole premise of the show was to be as authentically 80s as possible, so you could judge it a success.

I never cared for any of the 80s films it's referencing so I only found it fair to middling.
Saggers is alive??!!

deisegirl

Post by deisegirl »

Watched the first few episodes of the Handmaid's Tale this morning. Hadn't read the book but had some knowledge of the plot line. Found it very chilling, not least because it wouldn't take very much for our own society to go that way. In fact I think a a couple of the posters from D&D would view it as paradise :shock:
Saggers is alive??!!

genehunt1973

Post by genehunt1973 »

rorymac wrote:I only recently got Netflix and watching stuff other than documentaries so I'm pleased to have an opinion on things I only heard about before :

The OA .. fantastic

No Offense was great highly recommend
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

genehunt1973

Post by genehunt1973 »

Line of Duty ,tonights end was brilliant
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895