Any fans of League 2 clubs?

Anything sportlike
Bad Blue 2000

Re: Any fans of League 2 clubs?

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

Alex_1971 wrote:
Bad Blue 2000 wrote:
Alex_1971 wrote:Could be an interesting season, some money has been spent (on wages) and some squads have much improved since last season, notably Mansfield & Luton, with Swindon, Port Vale and my very own Crewe Alexandra rebuilding their squads and looking decent on paper at this early stage. Newport's great escape gives them momentum for the new season and you would expect Coventry not wanting to hang around in the 4th tier for more than a season. Lincoln come back into the league on a massive roll and Forest Green Rovers could prove be tricky, it makes for a competitive league. Yeovil and Cheltenham seem to be the tipped teams to struggle but there is alway a couple of others who will be down their and having a nervous 9 months.

Does the 1971 refer to your year of birth? If so, do you remember a Crewe player called Aiden Murphy? He used to live on my road.

Yes 1971 is my year of birth, and yes, Aiden was a member of our 1988/89 promotion wining side. Think he was on Uniteds books as a kid, and I'm sure he was an England school boy international, very underrated midfielder.

Yeah, same lad. He was Utd's books.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

Alex_1971

Post by Alex_1971 »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:
Alex_1971 wrote:
Bad Blue 2000 wrote:
Alex_1971 wrote:Could be an interesting season, some money has been spent (on wages) and some squads have much improved since last season, notably Mansfield & Luton, with Swindon, Port Vale and my very own Crewe Alexandra rebuilding their squads and looking decent on paper at this early stage. Newport's great escape gives them momentum for the new season and you would expect Coventry not wanting to hang around in the 4th tier for more than a season. Lincoln come back into the league on a massive roll and Forest Green Rovers could prove be tricky, it makes for a competitive league. Yeovil and Cheltenham seem to be the tipped teams to struggle but there is alway a couple of others who will be down their and having a nervous 9 months.

Does the 1971 refer to your year of birth? If so, do you remember a Crewe player called Aiden Murphy? He used to live on my road.

Yes 1971 is my year of birth, and yes, Aiden was a member of our 1988/89 promotion wining side. Think he was on Uniteds books as a kid, and I'm sure he was an England school boy international, very underrated midfielder.

Last I heard he was coaching in the states, good luck to the lad.

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

Alex_1971 wrote:
Bad Blue 2000 wrote:
Alex_1971 wrote:
Bad Blue 2000 wrote:

Last I heard he was coaching in the states, good luck to the lad.
Yeah.
His mam has/had MS.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

finchman

Post by finchman »

Alex_1971 wrote:
finchman wrote:Paul from Halifax who used to be on here,and Halifax used to be in league 2, unfortunately Paul supported Manch Unided from his armchair and not his home town club.
I remember when Man U used to come to Wigan in our PL days there was always a massive 'Crewe Reds' banner behind the goal.
I imagine there are loads of pothunting cunts in Crewe.

I always think of Wigan as a Cheshire league side. Nothing has changed.

1968 Wigan Athletic left the Cheshire League and joined the newly formed Northern Premier League.
My first away game was in 1971 at Goole Town.
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

Alex_1971

Post by Alex_1971 »

finchman wrote:
Alex_1971 wrote:
finchman wrote:Paul from Halifax who used to be on here,and Halifax used to be in league 2, unfortunately Paul supported Manch Unided from his armchair and not his home town club.
I remember when Man U used to come to Wigan in our PL days there was always a massive 'Crewe Reds' banner behind the goal.
I imagine there are loads of pothunting cunts in Crewe.

I always think of Wigan as a Cheshire league side. Nothing has changed.

1968 Wigan Athletic left the Cheshire League and joined the newly formed Northern Premier League.
My first away game was in 1971 at Goole Town.

In all fairness Wigan were a serious rival for the Alex when you first came into the league, both on the pitch and unfortunately off the pitch sometimes. For me this mellowed as I lived in Wigan for a few years and even went a few Latics games in Wigans top flight era.

finchman

Post by finchman »

We lived the dream non league to greed league with a nice FA Cup.
Back in Division 3 now and enjoying it. Bury at home today.
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

Alex_1971

Post by Alex_1971 »

finchman wrote:We lived the dream non league to greed league with a nice FA Cup.
Back in Division 3 now and enjoying it. Bury at home today.

A couple of our ex lads in your side now, Colclough and Powell, how are they shaping up?

finchman

Post by finchman »

Both good lads,Powell has talent to burn but has trouble fitting his head in the stadium sometimes.

Alex_1971

Post by Alex_1971 »

Powell looked like he could go all the way. I do think he went the wrong club when he left us to go to United, it must be hard turn a club of that size down when they come calling and at the time it was Fergie who was doing the chasing, but to jump from league 2 to Manchester United was too much for him, he needed a Southampton type club to take his development on, if he had gone to a club like that he would be an England regular now.

Alex_1971

Post by Alex_1971 »

Only 4 games gone, but the mighty Alexandra still unbeaten and have just dicked the disgusting port fail at fail park, just getting over the post match ales! Newport County, last seasons great escape artists up to second, and no shocks from me.

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

Luton will piss the league mate

Shaun Derry found his bollocks Saturday after 1.5 years and attacked from the off......just a shame that the 3 best chances fell to a striker who scored 2 in 50 games in Scotland

Alex_1971

Post by Alex_1971 »

There are definitely a contender, still early days, but I would guess the hatters will be top 3. It's a very wide open league this season, as much as I take pleasure in port fail being in a nose dive I think they will pull out of it, Coventry are not looking as solid as I thought they might, Swindon looked good but came unstuck Saturday , could be the year of the dark horses in league 2....

finchman

Post by finchman »

Ex Wigan manager 'Pep' Caldwell having a shocker at Chesterfield.

Alex_1971

Post by Alex_1971 »

Well, since I last logged in things have gone a bit wonky for the mighty Alex, 5 straight defeats in league games on the bounce during September/October, but a couple of wins in our last 3, including last nights excellent performance against Notts County has steadied the ship a bit and given us some optimism looking forward. Luton are looking good, to win 4-1 at Exeter is serious marker.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

finchman wrote:Ex Wigan manager 'Pep' Caldwell having a shocker at Chesterfield.

You a fan of his?