England v WI

Anything sportlike
Lou Grant

England v WI

Post by Lou Grant »

England squad to face West Indies

Alastair Cook (Essex), Mark Stoneman (Surrey), Tom Westley (Essex), Joe Root (Yorkshire, capt), Dawid Malan (Middlesex), Ben Stokes (Durham), Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire, wk), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Toby Roland-Jones (Middlesex), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Mason Crane (Hampshire), James Anderson (Lancashire).
Last edited by Lou Grant on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

Lou Grant

Re: England v WI test series

Post by Lou Grant »

Some talk they may play both TRJ and Woakes and leave out Malan. The notion of a six man bowling attack against anyone, let alone a side as weak as WI, is laughable.

Salem

Post by Salem »

To be fair Lou , i reckon my local club in Kidderminster could give the current West Indies a run for their money :( .

Don't know your age mate but i grew up watching Greenidge , Richards , Holding , Marshall , Roberts etc put the fear of God into anyone they came up against . They really were a team of legends in the late 70's and 80's . Sir Viv Richards , to me at least , is still the greatest batsman i have ever seen .

It's a crying shame what has happened to cricket (especially test cricket) in the Caribbean . But even more worrying is the fact that i think it's a growing trend throughout all major test playing nations
"There was one victim"

MAGA...........'mon the Don 24 😎

Whispering Grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know .....

subsub

Post by subsub »

Salem wrote:To be fair Lou , i reckon my local club in Kidderminster could give the current West Indies a run for their money :( .

Don't know your age mate but i grew up watching Greenidge , Richards , Holding , Marshall , Roberts etc put the fear of God into anyone they came up against . They really were a team of legends in the late 70's and 80's . Sir Viv Richards , to me at least , is still the greatest batsman i have ever seen .

It's a crying shame what has happened to cricket (especially test cricket) in the Caribbean . But even more worrying is the fact that i think it's a growing trend throughout all major test playing nations

Agreed, Salem, but it's a bit unfair to compare all West Indies teams to the 80s' team, probably the best Test team of all time.
WOKE AND PROUD

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

Salem wrote:Don't know your age mate but i grew up watching Greenidge , Richards , Holding , Marshall , Roberts etc put the fear of God into anyone they came up against . They really were a team of legends in the late 70's and 80's . Sir Viv Richards , to me at least , is still the greatest batsman i have ever seen .

Keith Boyce at Essex when I was a youngster getting my first taste of live cricket - he was a genius and still couldn't get anywhere near the test team in those days. Of all the batsmen I was privileged to see live, Carl Hooper made the biggest impression. Played probably the greatest innings I've ever seen for Kent in a match they were down and out in. Not just the runs he scored that day or the manner in which he scored them, but he then went out to bowl and took 5 wickets as well.

West Indies represented a brand of cricket distinct from that of the Southern Hemisphere or sub-continent teams and the game is now so much poorer without them being there (in any meaningful form).

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

At last England have found an opener who can still be at the crease at 2pm.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

I see 2 and 3 have failed again.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

Did you see the ball that got Stoneman? Good luck playing that! Although doubtless Hales would have a double century by now.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Lou Grant wrote:Did you see the ball that got Stoneman? Good luck playing that!

Exactly. Usual knee-jerk stuff from Mr Zambo…
WOKE AND PROUD

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Lacks credentials, although he was born in England.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Root gone.

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

Remember watching Stuart Law batting for Essex. A very fine cricketer, but coaching the West Indies must be quite the challenge.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Poor old Michael Holding. :(
Roy IN!!

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Lou Grant wrote:Did you see the ball that got Stoneman? Good luck playing that! Although doubtless Hales would have a double century by now.

Wot you talkin bout Willis, he played across the line at a straight ball which took off peg. Just bread and butter to a left hander facing right arm over.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Zambo wrote:
Lou Grant wrote:Did you see the ball that got Stoneman? Good luck playing that! Although doubtless Hales would have a double century by now.

Wot you talkin bout Willis, he played across the line at a straight ball which took off peg. Just bread and butter to a left hander facing right arm over.

Completely disagree.
Vaughan and many other commentators described it as a ball that would have got most top-class batsmen out.
WOKE AND PROUD