Non-League Success Thread 2017/18

Anything sportlike
lasharoo

Non-League Success Thread 2017/18

Post by lasharoo »

Seeing as there was loads of positive feedback for my musings on Sutton United's crazy cup run adventures last season, and from the general vibe I'm picking up that more and more fans are turning their backs on the ridiculous shenanigans that surrounds modern top flight footy, I thought I would create a safe space for fans of non-league football to congregate, to be amongst friends, to share a self-deprecating joke or two, and to swap tales of what life is really like at the arse end of the footballing pyramid.

Sutton United news...

I fear for us this season, after the heroics the boys performed last year in the FA Cup it was always on the cards our best players would be tempted away by the wads of cash waved under their innocent little noses by the moneybags big boys, and fuck me have we been eviscerated...

Our talisman, many times last minute saviour and all round super hero Roarie Deacon has been enticed away to the bright lights of, err, Dundee ( :? ) frog goal machine Maxi Biamou has been nabbed by high fliers Coventry, and Bedse Gomis is forging a new career for himself in that footballing hotbed of Barrow.......joining the squad are a trio of boys from Dover Athletic, who I've been told, on good authority, are "shit", and ex Leeds and England Under 19 star Simon "John-Boy" Walton from fellow league strugglers Guiseley.......in Paul Doswell we trust :prayer: but you don't have to be Mystic Meg to foresee we could be in for a season long relegation scrap.

Perhaps thinking about the bigger picture, the club have wisely decided not to spunk last seasons precious cup run dosh on the playing squad but instead on bringing GGL kicking and screaming into the 21st century...witness our new brighter than the sun "solar flare" floodlights and state-of-the-art digital score board 8)

The season opener on August 5th is a corker straight from the top drawer when we entertain newly relegated big boys Leyton Orient in a match broadcast live on BT Sport, unfortunately I'm meant to be working that day so am going to have to pull a sickie and hope I don't get spotted by my gaffers........bring it on! :mrgreen:

'This is all your doing, Lash, no one else'

henrycrs

Re: Non-League Success Thread 2017/18

Post by henrycrs »

All the best for the coming season Lash. Cracker of a 1st game for you and i don't think Orient will have it their own way

lasharoo

Post by lasharoo »

henrycrs wrote:All the best for the coming season Lash. Cracker of a 1st game for you and i don't think Orient will have it their own way

Cheers Henners, hopefully the O's will be discombobulated by their new surroundings and we can sneak a result :)

Reg

Post by Reg »

We are pariahs in non-league circles now. :(
Roy IN!!

lasharoo

Post by lasharoo »

Reg wrote:We are pariahs in non-league circles now. :(

Because of all the hoo-haa about not taking a full strength side to Maidstone Reg? Palace are hardly alone in doing that sort of thing, bloody hell Leeds and Arsenal never brought full strength teams to us in the FA Cup, we are used to such snubs in the neither reaches I'm afraid :|

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

Have to admit, the money that's around in the top leagues now makes me think that I'll always prefer watching L2 and non league football

We have Spurs down for a testimonial on Friday, no doubt their F team or under 7s.....no money in playing clubs like Cambridge

lasharoo

Post by lasharoo »

henrycrs wrote:Have to admit, the money that's around in the top leagues now makes me think that I'll always prefer watching L2 and non league football

We have Spurs down for a testimonial on Friday, no doubt their F team or under 7s.....no money in playing clubs like Cambridge Image

Are you going Henners?

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

Big clearout of deadwood at FC United in the close season, but financial problems from the ground build that came in miles over budget still dog us. 4 or 5 of the teams in our league, including Salford and York are full time and we just can't compete. Mid table and a decent cup run will do fine

Pre season trips have seen us go to Congleton, Salford and Stalybridge with the delights of Abbey Hey awaiting tomorrow
There's no poem, just prose.

finchman

Post by finchman »

Look out for Chorley FC
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

Reg

Post by Reg »

lasharoo wrote:
Reg wrote:We are pariahs in non-league circles now. :(

Because of all the hoo-haa about not taking a full strength side to Maidstone Reg? Palace are hardly alone in doing that sort of thing, bloody hell Leeds and Arsenal never brought full strength teams to us in the FA Cup, we are used to such snubs in the neither reaches I'm afraid :|

What makes it worse is that this is not in character for the club at all - Parish and co put a lot of time and money into community stuff.

When it was arranged I think the plan was to play the game as a proper warm-up - we often play a non-league club early in the pre-season, and field a proper side.

But it looks like this year there was a cock-up along the line, and the first-team squad had to fly to Hong Kong, plus a problem with the pitch.

Having said that, I'd rather they had told the Premier League and their Asia Trophy to fuck off, played the first team at Maidstone, and sent the under-18s to play Liverpool's fancy Dans in China - although we actually ended up playing five of our development squad against the might of Lipewl's big guns in the end. :P
Roy IN!!

Reg

Post by Reg »

Wild scenes at our traditional pre-season game against Bromley. :shock:

George Porter sparked a mass brawl after punching one of our youth players in the face, twice!

Usually a very friendly fixture, and always well attended by both sets of fans.
Roy IN!!

JW90

Post by JW90 »

Leyton Orient have sold 3.5k season tickets, their highest total for 16 years.

subsub

Post by subsub »

lasharoo wrote:more and more fans are turning their backs on the ridiculous shenanigans that surrounds modern top flight footy
lasharoo wrote:I thought I would create a safe space for fans of non-league football to congregate, to be amongst friends, to share a self-deprecating joke or two, and to swap tales of what life is really like at the arse end of the footballing pyramid

Thank God. No more posts by Lash about Chelsea – we can but hope :mrgreen:
WOKE AND PROUD

finchman

Post by finchman »

finchman wrote:Look out for Chorley FC

Chorley 0-14 Wigan Athletic
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

lasharoo

Post by lasharoo »

Reg wrote:Wild scenes at our traditional pre-season game against Bromley. :shock:

George Porter sparked a mass brawl after punching one of our youth players in the face, twice!

Usually a very friendly fixture, and always well attended by both sets of fans.

:lol: :lol: :lol: