Post Brexit - part 21

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Sunbeam Alpine

Re: Post Brexit - part 21

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

Zambo wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:38 pm
birdie wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:03 pm There are many reasons why farmers don't get the prices they want but to blame everything on Brexit is just blinkered
Well that is what this thread is all about after all.

21 parts 100 pages per part of whining and trying to blame everything that goes wrong in this country on leaving the EU.
I haven't seen any post that "tries to blame everything that goes wrong on Brexit". Not one.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Well what a surprise.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

There's no doubt that the circumstances around UK farmer protests are dictated by brexit and its consequences.

birdie

Post by birdie »

If I recall, farming produce was a big import before Brexit, am I the only one to remember the row over cheap egg imports from the 'eastern bloc' countries, egg producers complaining that they couldn't even break even if they sold their eggs at the same price. The same applied to veg, you only had to look at the country of origin on salad produce, imported from Spain mostly and sold at less that British salad produce but I don't recall British farmers demonstrating outside parliament about cheap EU produce then.
I wonder why.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

birdie wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 pm If I recall, farming produce was a big import before Brexit, am I the only one to remember the row over cheap egg imports from the 'eastern bloc' countries, egg producers complaining that they couldn't even break even if they sold their eggs at the same price. The same applied to veg, you only had to look at the country of origin on salad produce, imported from Spain mostly and sold at less that British salad produce but I don't recall British farmers demonstrating outside parliament about cheap EU produce then.
I wonder why.
Pre-brexit, UK farmers were able to export to other countries with relative ease due to trade deals between the EU and many countries around the world.

Exporting to EU countries form the UK was easier too because... Well single market etc. Post brexit, UK farmers struggle to export to the EU while EU farmers can still export to the UK with relative ease.

UK farmers also enjoyed subsidies from the Conmon Agricultural Policy.

That's why UK farmers had fewer problems pre-brexit.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

It's the imports from outside the EU that's the problem. For example New Zealand currently under the old EU deal can import a limited amount of sheep meat. Under the the new UK New Zealand deal NZ can eventually export unlimited sheep meat into the UK with no plenty.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Before Britain joined the EEC, as it was then, nigh on all of New Zealand's lamb was sold to Britain, almost overnight that market stopped and it nearly brought the New Zealand lamb trade to a halt.
In other words, Britain shafted New Zealand.
New Zealand found other markets in the middle and far east, but they didn't want whole carcases, which is what Britain bought, but wanted boned and rolled meat, so New Zealand producers invested in boning and rolling and survived.

Now that Britain is no longer in the EU British sheep farmers, especially the Welsh, are complaining most bitterly that they cant sell their sheep meat to the continent.
Well, one could say, what goes around comes around, and now they know how New Zealand sheep farmers felt when their trade stopped.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=671db99f ... x1ZQ&ntb=1

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

birdie wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:47 pm
Now that Britain is no longer in the EU British sheep farmers, especially the Welsh, are complaining most bitterly that they cant sell their sheep meat to the continent.
Well, one could say, what goes around comes around, and now they know how New Zealand sheep farmers felt when their trade stopped.
Brexit was touted as a prospective benefit for UK farmers. Now the message to them is "get stuffed".

That's what I call more winning. :D

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

The Tick wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:53 pm
Brexit was touted as a prospective benefit for UK farmers. Now the message to them is "get stuffed".

Welsh sheep farmer are complaining about the SFS. You two just seem to be making stuff up.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Vespa wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:10 pm
The Tick wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:53 pm

Welsh sheep farmer are complaining about the SFS. You two just seem to be making stuff up.
Nope. The SFS is what the Welsh devolved government is meant to fund their farmers with. I.e a post brexit financial programme. It ties in with the general issue of UK farmers being squeezed by the consequences of brexit. Creating an independent policy on farming has proven rather troublesome.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Making things up? I suppose I made up the chart I posted up and I suppose I made up the fact that Welsh farmers were complaining, not so long ago, about not being able to sell their lamb to the EU as easily as they used to.
FFS

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

birdie wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:20 pm Making things up? I suppose I made up the chart I posted up and I suppose I made up the fact that Welsh farmers were complaining, not so long ago, about not being able to sell their lamb to the EU as easily as they used to.
FFS
What Vespa refers to is a post brexit financial scheme offered by the Welsh devolved government to farmers that come with certain conditions. The farmers aren't happy with the conditions nor with the amount of money offered but it still ties in with brexit matters, since without brexit it wouldn't be needed.

He's trying to keep up with the discourse, albeit in a mangled fashion.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

especially the Welsh, are complaining most bitterly that they cant sell their sheep meat to the continent
They are complaining about the SFS

birdie

Post by birdie »

Right, so I imagined the TV programme I saw when Welsh sheep farmers were complaining that they couldn't sell their lamb in Europe at a whole lot more than they can get for it in the UK, and that they could go under because the UK wont pay the high prices they can get in Europe, especially France.

I'm glad I didn't really watch that programme so I could make things up to post on here.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

birdie wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:47 pm Right, so I imagined the TV programme I saw when Welsh sheep farmers were complaining that they couldn't sell their lamb in Europe at a whole lot more than they can get for it in the UK, and that they could go under because the UK wont pay the high prices they can get in Europe, especially France.

I'm glad I didn't really watch that programme so I could make things up to post on here.

Brexit hasn't really lived up to its billing.