There goes Obama care

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Roy Twing

Re: There goes Obama care

Post by Roy Twing »

caveman wrote:I can solve the problem for Trump.... it is very simple and would not require insurance.

If you get sick the government buys a return economy ticket to the UK.
When they arrive they just need to head to the nearest NHS hospital to get treatment.
Problem solved.
I'm pretty sure that's not far from the reality.
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:We are on the road to the US system since losing free prescriptions and dental care and eye tests . We should also put a stop
to subsidising Scotland even if it means the break up of the UK.
Charges for dental care, spectacles and prescriptions have been in force since 1952. Prescription charges were abolished in 1965 and re-introduced in 1968. Free eye tests were abolished in 1988.

Of course, the young, elderly and others are exempt.

Page 13: https://www.publications.parliament.uk/ ... /815-i.pdf
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Here's one reason why the NHS needs financial reform.

A mate of mine has an elderly relative in home care. They has a hospital bed delivered from a medical supply company which used to be handled by the NHS itself. When the relative died almost no one was interested in collecting the equipment but after an awful lot of pestering finally did. The bloke who collected it said this private company charged a set fee of about £4k for something that was worth little more than a grand. The bed was then rented out at £100 per day which would have continued indefinitely had it not been collected.

Other most basic equipment was hundreds of pounds yet must have cost pennies to make.

A bloke a few doors from me, still has a load of hoist equipment they didn't collect 8 years after his missus dies. And a £5k stair lift.

That's about thirty grand between 2 cases. Across the land it adds up to billions and unreturned medical equipment is still on hire.

Fuck wasting another £350million per week on this shambles as some want. And fuck letting private companies at it to milk it either.

In the meantime just keep throwing money at it.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

I'm from the North of Cuntdon. I only visit the dentist once a decade. The chip batter keeps our gnashers healthy.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:I'm from the North of Cuntdon. I only visit the dentist once a decade. The chip batter keeps our gnashers healthy.
My last visit to the dentist over 30 years ago and teeth are fine. Fast metabolism is apparently natures best toothpaste.

I take it you're in decent physical shape Alc and don't resemble that Alan Brazil or hald the fat fuckers on that station? :D

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Not as portly and still have hair . Avoided the Purple look . It's a Moet-free diet.
6uild 6ack 6etter .

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

m4rkb wrote:Here's one reason why the NHS needs financial reform.

A mate of mine has an elderly relative in home care. They has a hospital bed delivered from a medical supply company which used to be handled by the NHS itself. When the relative died almost no one was interested in collecting the equipment but after an awful lot of pestering finally did. The bloke who collected it said this private company charged a set fee of about £4k for something that was worth little more than a grand. The bed was then rented out at £100 per day which would have continued indefinitely had it not been collected.

Other most basic equipment was hundreds of pounds yet must have cost pennies to make.

A bloke a few doors from me, still has a load of hoist equipment they didn't collect 8 years after his missus dies. And a £5k stair lift.

That's about thirty grand between 2 cases. Across the land it adds up to billions and unreturned medical equipment is still on hire.

Fuck wasting another £350million per week on this shambles as some want. And fuck letting private companies at it to milk it either.

In the meantime just keep throwing money at it.
That's better management needed, not financial reform.
For what it's worth when I broke my neck 3 years ago the last part of my recovery was at home and they provided a bed which was supplied as expected and removed when agreed.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

They've been trying better management for years. Either the managers are not up to scratch or the whole thing's unmanageable.

What was the total cost of your bed?

A good rule of thumb when pricing things is to look at it and say what would I pay for that. ie what do you think it's worth. Given the scale of use for beds I'd say none should cost upward of a grand for a fully motorised one. Delivery and set up should be about a days pay, being generous, and rent should be no more than a tenner per day - possible built into a good value for money supply line. Collection and refurb for re-use another days pay plus about hundred quid.

That's a ball park costing of the basics.

I could probably get on the phone tomorrow and find someone willing to manufacture them at a decent price if I was in that line of business but I suspect those who are are making massive profits and no one questions them.

The cost of everything for government (and this is) is massively inflated and could easily be reduced. They were paying £70 for a ream of A4 years back because no one challenged it.

When the NHS costs massive amounts, as it does , the forst thing which needs to be addressed is costs of purchase. No one ever does.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

I doubt that.

I don't think you know any more than the rest of us what these things are worth, or what they have to do.

I could go into a BMW garage , look at a 520d and say in my opinion that's worth £25k. Unofortunately they wouldn't sell it to me for that..more like £30k to £35k.

The bed I had could be adjusted up or down, tilted and most importantly in my case the end could be dropped entirely so that someone could stand behind me and hold my head while my collar was changed.

There isn't a big market for stuff like that. Few economies of scale. Maybe at best 1000 such beds in the UK, and all entirely in the NHS as the private sector doesn't trouble itself with patients who are actually seriously injured.

Try again.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

I'm not an expert on the details of Obamacare but you can guarantee that the Republican Party's policies on healthcare have been bought a paid for by the healthcare insurance industry.

The American healthcare system is a massively expensive, beuracratic nightmare with a lot of vested interests standing in the way of any real reform. It makes the NHS look like well oiled machine in comparison. Anyone who thinks private = efficient should look at how much America spends on healthcare & what they get in return.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

In a century from now "Who was the POTUS between 2008-2016 will be a pub quiz question " . Be as memorable as Taft.
6uild 6ack 6etter .