TF Chess Club 2, WCC 2014, 2016, 2018, 2021 and 2023

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Carlos J
Forum Admin

Re: TF Chess Club 2 & World Chess Championship 2014

Post by Carlos J »

Game 5 from yesterday. An interesting little tactical game, Queens Indian, but nay fireworks and a draw in 39 moves. Jerry's view:

GM Daniel King:

First to 6.5 wins.

Carlsen 2.5 v 2.5 Anand.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

Is 'form' a big aspect, Carlos? Players on hot streaks and cold streaks comparable to general individual sport?
You ARE Rodney Bewes

Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Why don't you sign up to chess.com RB and I will teach you how to play. You can sign up instantly with Facebook.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

DRAMA. Game 6 from today and a possible match changer. Another Sicilian and ladies off early and Carlsen concedes structure for space. Anand's rooks stuck on the eigth rank defending and then Carlsen error at move 26. :shock: Anand missed his chance, 26...Nxe5, Carlsen recovered and white crushed through forcing resignation. :(

Jerry gets into it:

GM Daniel King. When Danny boy starts his video, "There were dramatic events on the chessboard in Sochi today" you know things will be interesting: :)

Halfway through and first to 6.5. Carlsen again has white for game 7.

Carlsen 3.5 - 2.5 Anand.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Rainbowmonkey HD wrote:Is 'form' a big aspect, Carlos? Players on hot streaks and cold streaks comparable to general individual sport?
Interesting, RM and suppose so. Much the same as individual sports, the top players are playing each other all the time. However in top level chess, most tournaments are round robin events, so getting off to a bad start ain't good for confidence but you have recovery time and it takes out more freak results.

For the avarage player In Britain there are congesses in cities, played Nottm and Derby. You'll get an odd Grandmaster, International Master and Fide Master playing an elite then a major and minor tournament for all players depending on rating.

Funny old events, you play 6 games, one Friday night, three on Saturday and two Sunday, Pretty heavy going but fun but if you lose Friday night, then Saturday morning, just have to get on with it. Every game is slate clean and all that, no point pondering.

Here though, not a knock out, but a one to one so yeah psychology comes in. Kasparov often seemed to beat players before a game was started, like you say Taylor does. Thought Anand might crumble after game 2 loss, but won game 3. This bad loss in game 6 is different though, and with Carlsen on white again, if Carlsen wins, goes two points ahead with five to play, can only see one winner.
Kowalski wrote:Why don't you sign up to chess.com RB and I will teach you how to play. You can sign up instantly with Facebook.
Yep, sign up RM, but beware the Kow is a hustler. :)

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

Kowalski wrote:Why don't you sign up to chess.com RB and I will teach you how to play. You can sign up instantly with Facebook.
A nice offer Kow thanks but I'm not all that interested in the playing of it. I've stared at games between friends before, mostly in Starbucks when they used to have those chessboard table tops, and got explanations from them but I'm a bit meh to the playing of it. I like the thread and the chat though and the psychology side of it. The slight mystery helps I think.
You ARE Rodney Bewes

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

Carlos J wrote:Here though, not a knock out, but a one to one so yeah psychology comes in. Kasparov often seemed to beat players before a game was started, like you say Taylor does. Thought Anand might crumble after game 2 loss, but won game 3. This bad loss in game 6 is different though, and with Carlsen on white again, if Carlsen wins, goes two points ahead with five to play, can only see one winner.
Interesting, thanks again for your chessposts. I don't suppose there are little non-game tricks that you can pull to put off the opponent in an emergency. The thin line between sportsmanship/cheating. Darts has had it all. From stamping feet to blowing on flights so that they make rustly noises, standing too close, taking too long... Taylor even wore an orange shirt (think Holland) to play Barney in their first world final with 12 gold champion stars streaked down his back to remind him. He then changed his shirt after the 3rd set. :? there's not much mischief to be made just sitting at a table, I guess.
You ARE Rodney Bewes

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Sorry for late reply, RM, but interesting. Ha at Taylor, a right cunts trick, mark of the man. Going off top of my head as late hour and got two games to watch, but will delve deeper maybe tomorrow.

Of course the first old trick is kicking your opponent under the table. :) Then we often get into paranoia and hey Bobby Fischer. Sure it was for his game v Spassky in Iceland 1972 he thought the Soviets were up to all sorts of tricks, which will as per look into later. Stuff with seats, there's a big thing about choosing seats,of course you can get up and wander, another old triick, lights and as technology has got better, a whole thing about earpieces and other devices for using computer help.

Then you get into body language and Kasparov a master, though as per, not great at hiding his emotions, but is that double bluff, but a death stare at opponents always amuses:

Saw this when looking at game 6 and the photos are err interesting. Carlsen legs crossed especially: http://en.chessbase.com/post/sochi-g6-c ... big-chance

As said, will look further into shenanigans, especially with Fischer.

Anyway, onto game 7 from Monday. And another Ruy Lopez Berlin Defence. Not letting the ladies off early again Vishy and relying on position against Carlsen? :( But wow. Not a game of all action but 122 move draw in 6.5 hours and a masterclass of defence leading to a Rook and Knight v Rook endgame which is drawn. Love it. :)

Jerry sounding a bit hoarse:

GM Daniel King echoes what I typed above before watching him, which is nice: :)

First to 6.5 wins.

Carlsen 4 v 3 Anand.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

So onwards to yesterdays game 8. When a Jerry video whch is usually 20-30 minutes is only 14 minutes, means either calamity, not likely or an easy draw, more likely and maybe the exertions of Mondays 6.5hrs took toll. Let's see:

Well, not a quick draw, but lots of exchanges, but both reasonably comfortable and a draw.

GM Daniel King. Interesting he talks about how 44yr old Anand seemed less tired after the 122 moves of yesterday than 23yr old Carlsen. Maybe in live footage, pics are only a snapshot: http://en.chessbase.com/post/sochi-g8-a ... or-carlsen

First to 6.5 wins.

Carlsen 4.5 v 3.5 Anand.

And lo, it is 6am. Good night y'all.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Game 9 and this time Jerry video is less than ten minutes. Carlsen with white and a repeat of game 7 Ruy Lopez Berlin. Not this time 122 moves and 6 hours, a mere 20 moves and 1 hour. Jerry:

GM Daniel King:

First to 6.5 wins.

Carlsen 5 v 4 Anand.

Three games to go, Anand has two with white.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Game 10 and squeaky bum time. Three games to go, Anand two with white needs a win somewhere to get into the tie breaks. No comment on game, watch videos or scroll down for result.

Jerry:

GM Daniel King:

Draw. First to 6.5.

Carlsen 5.5 v 4.5 Anand.

A win for Carlsen in game 11 on Sunday and all over.

RM. Haven't forgot about more Fischer shenanigans and paranoia. On my weekend to do list.

Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Thanks for posting those videos Carlos, I've watched them all today.

Carlsen is on another level to Anand, he's going to be the champ for a long time.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Aww thanks, Kow. Noticed I put Jerry's video up twice for game 10 so amended it and added Danny King's. Was a tad worried when saw your post before watching todays game as possible spoilers but nay.

Anyway, game 11 today. Carlsen with white needing a win to retain his world title and Anand needing a draw or win to take us into a final game with him as white. Ruy Lopez Berlin again and instead of the mega draw of game 7 and the quick draw of game 9 we have action. Watch the videos then scroll down for thoughts.

Jerry:

GM Daniel King:

Interesting game. Looked fairly even then Anand pushes queenside pawns, goes for an exchange sacrifice and we end in a pawn race. :) But was a tad optimistic as noted afterwards and Kow, kind of moves I would play, shit or bust. :) But Anand did not need to play it. Danny King's analysis is excellent there.

First to 6.5.

Carlsen 6.5 v 4.5 Anand.

Magnus Carlsen is World Chess Champion 2014. 8) :mrgreen: Presume they'll bring the ceremony forward from scheduled Friday: http://en.chessbase.com/post/sochi-g11- ... ains-title

Kow. Carlsen is definitely a beast and sadly for Anand, despite being in contention and coming back from his early loss, seems Carlsen was always in control. And sadly again for Anand, chess is now a young mans game and at 44, doubt he will have a chance again. Love you Vishy. :(

Though there are some contenders for 2016 (yep, RM, gone back to a two year cycle). Carlsen is 23. World number 2, Fabio Caruana, who beat Carlsen and won one of the strongest ever GM tournaments in the US a couple of months ago is 22. World number 7, Anish Giri is 20, so definitely some contenders and interesting times ahead. Like MvG and the darts comparison, can both now go on a long run of dominance.

Kow. Busy week ahead so no time till next weekend, will PM you, though as you've been watching Carlsen now, will have to up my game or drink more. :drinkers:

RM. Hope you've been following and enjoyed it all, I have. :) Anyone else reading, as Jerry signs off his videos, "Hope you got something out of it." :smt023

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

RM, was re-reading thread and saw this and :idea: how the fuck did I miss it first time. When giving history of the chess championship, some spiel about the early years where challenger challenged, mostly putting up lots of coin and then your reply about opening names. Just saw the name in red and answers many points in one reply:
Carlos J wrote:[...]There were players considered the best in the world going back centuries included Ruy Lopez who gave his name to the opening used in game 2 of Carlsen v Anand but it was C19 that things became more organised but not properly. The players below without numbers were considered the best at the time, who beat the best in exhibition games or tournaments.
World Champions pre-FIDE:
Name Year Country
Louis-Charles Mahé de La Bourdonnais 1821–1840 France
Pierre Charles Fournier de Saint-Amant 1840–1843 France
Howard Staunton 1843–1851 England
Adolf Anderssen 1851–1858 1862–1866 Prussia
Paul Morphy 1858–1862 United States
1. Wilhelm Steinitz 1886–1894 Austria-Hungary England United States
2. Emanuel Lasker 1894–1921 Germany
3. José Raúl Capablanca 1921–1927 Cuba
4. Alexander Alekhine 1927–1935 1937–1946 Russia France
5. Max Euwe 1935–1937 Netherlands
[...]
Rainbowmonkey HD wrote:A handsome write-up, thanks and nice work Carlos. Just a quick first thought occurred, re 'Ruy Lopez who gave his name to the opening used in game 2...'

I was thinking about Darts as a comparison, I'm well into the overlap by the way, regarding scores/sequences of scores/checkouts which when they occur trigger an almost automatic reference by commentators to a yesteryear player who produced the particular shot in famous circumstances.

All I can think of is Deller's 138. Just about every single time that someone steps up to check out 138, they mention Deller, who did it to beat Bristow in the World final about 30 years ago, with Bristow having so cockily turned down the Bull. A kind of signature shot associated with a particular player. I've never thought about it before but you'd think there'd be more. Not even Taylor would seem to hold historical ownership of a particular checkout. I have my own personal ones (Barney 97, Part 77, Harrington 125) but those don't really resonate beyond my own head.

Does Chess have lots of moves/strategies which are named after players who made them their signature? I imagine that it does for some reason. I guess 'the Cruyff turn' would be the most obvious example of this in football.
Howard Staunton answers that and other points far better than I did in posts. A few minutes Mr Wiki reading for you but hopefully not onerous and err quite interesting.

As per list Staunton beat Saint-Amant, already politics going on there and look at how he is judged in hindsight from Kasparov to Fisher to good old Bill Hartson: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Staunton

Then as also mentioned, child prodigy Paul Morphy, sadly gave up and died young, wanted to play the socalled de facto champ Staunton. All sorts of bother getting it sorted or not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staunton%E ... ontroversy

Finally and re: openings/names, Staunton has the English as per the game with Saint Amant, there is also a Staunton gambit, but get them to fuck, how much better can you get than having the standard chess pieces named after you? 8)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staunton_chess_set

Still a bit of a cunt of a man but a good legacy.

Have not forgot Fischer detail, will be later though.

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

*kicks Carlos under the table*
Carlos J wrote:RM. Hope you've been following and enjoyed it all, I have. :) Anyone else reading, as Jerry signs off his videos, "Hope you got something out of it." :smt023
Indeed I have, most refreshing. I knew NOTHING. Thanks for making it resonate. Well done also to M(v)C, it did just seem to be sliding that way. But some of his body language behind that link you posted looked awful! The one you mentioned was the least concerning, this is his 'typical posture' apparently:

It seems such a natural behaviour though, wriggling with tension, kind of physically shaking it off. He lets it all hang out, again like our green darts hero. I like it. Anand is more of a John Lowe, stonefaced. Many many ways to skin the cat I guess and too much can easily be read into such things and I'm probably making caricatures here anyway.

The top end of the game, as you describe it, seems to echo the top end of darts. Take out Taylor, as I wish someone would, and the last 2/4/8 of the majors are regularly dominated by people in their 20s and early 30s. It's a very recent development. MvG does have an equal in that pack, ability-wise, in Lewis... is this Caruana fellow able to match Carlsen on a regular basis I wonder? I guess it's too early to say. One person crushing everyone else for years is fascinating in its own way but it's not ideal, in my opinion anyway.

How likely is it that a new unknown person will emerge onto the scene suddenly who is say, Anand's age? I suppose it's not physically demanding so there's no reason why you can't pick up the craft later in life and discover that you're a genius at it. The 54 year-old Taylor crushed the 'concentration' argument a long time ago, but Chess does seem more mentally intense and demanding than darts.

There are several layers of interest here, I wonder if ITV4 or shudder Eurosport should consider giving it a go one time. Even Barry Hearn. :D they would need nicknames of course. I'm claiming The Chin for the champ. :) Sky shows fishing ffs... Challenge TV or something... it must hold onto its soul, though.

Also, then I'll go, do you think you could beat Magnus in a one-off game? What's the skill level here? If you played him 100 times...? :P *chess*
You ARE Rodney Bewes