The Sopranos

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
Arty Morty

The Sopranos

Post by Arty Morty »

I've never seen this, but have always meant to give it a go. Has it aged well? Is it worth getting into now so many years after it ended? I've got similar worries about Boardwalk Empire, another I mean to watch.
If I could get lucky I'd secede from the states
I'd buy the country at an incredible rate

Sunbeam Alpine

Re: The Sopranos

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

Yes re Sopranos. Definitely
Didn't rate Boardwalk Empire anywhere near it

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

No idea how it's dated, Arty, but when I see the odd clip on youtube, it still looks fairly fresh, though you can tell it's of its time.

As a comparison, a couple of years ago, I rewatched 'The Wire' completely and it was still great and it's of a similar period. That's definitely worth a go if you haven't seen it.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Sopranos is unmissable

Boardwalk Empire is very good

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

The Sopranos is the ultimate television series – way ahead of its time; nothing compares, even now.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
“The forum's saucy upstart” –Ghost
“Solid broess” –Sadact7
“Decent long termer”–Paolo

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

Brazil speaks very highly of The Sopranos...

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Arty Morty wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:35 pm I've never seen this, but have always meant to give it a go.
The good news is, it's well worth watching. The bad news is, you've left it far too late now.

You could always "binge-watch" it, as I believe young people call it, but then it would all merge into one giant mess of confusion.
Some things are meant to be watched one episode, once a week. That's how I watched it, savouring the anticipation of seeing how things would play out. You don't really get that with binge-watching, which I'm assuming you'll do.

To mis-quote Woody Allen ... "I took a speed-reading course and read War And Peace in five minutes ... it's about Russia" :-)
So, anyway ... watch one episode a night, and bear in mind that's it's actually a sitcom :-)
No, really. just trust me on that.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Arty Morty

Post by Arty Morty »

JimmyDee wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:28 pm
Arty Morty wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:35 pm I've never seen this, but have always meant to give it a go.
The good news is, it's well worth watching. The bad news is, you've left it far too late now.

You could always "binge-watch" it, as I believe young people call it, but then it would all merge into one giant mess of confusion.
Some things are meant to be watched one episode, once a week. That's how I watched it, savouring the anticipation of seeing how things would play out. You don't really get that with binge-watching, which I'm assuming you'll do.

To mis-quote Woody Allen ... "I took a speed-reading course and read War And Peace in five minutes ... it's about Russia" :-)
So, anyway ... watch one episode a night, and bear in mind that's it's actually a sitcom :-)
No, really. just trust me on that.
Cheers, Jimmy.

Arty Morty

Post by Arty Morty »

Carlos J wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:28 pm No idea how it's dated, Arty, but when I see the odd clip on youtube, it still looks fairly fresh, though you can tell it's of its time.

As a comparison, a couple of years ago, I rewatched 'The Wire' completely and it was still great and it's of a similar period. That's definitely worth a go if you haven't seen it.
I'll add The Wire to the list. Cheers.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Arty Morty wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:39 pm
Carlos J wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:28 pm No idea how it's dated, Arty, but when I see the odd clip on youtube, it still looks fairly fresh, though you can tell it's of its time.

I'll add The Wire to the list. Cheers.
:smt023 Only 60 episodes, so enjoy.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?